D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 04-02-2021, 10:11 AM

Default VNT Turbo

Has anyone done a VNT turbo on their engine? I've been considering this upgrade for sometime now. PWM controllers are getting very cheap to control boost too.

My engine is in a VW LT31 camper that was imported.
Old 04-02-2021, 09:41 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

It has been done by a few folks but never with any good writeup or photos on how.

There was a guy who had a D24T swap in a Ford pickup that had one, and one in a Volvo from a member who only posted a few times. See these threads:
https://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1178
https://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1344

The factory D24T turbo setup is pretty similar to the turbos used on similar era Mercedes 617 TD engines and I believe several of those have had VGT adaptations done. Maybe there will be more helpful info on the boards dedicated to those?

I wanted to do it one time using a turbo (forget its info and name now) off a Jeep Liberty 2.8CRD which should have been sized about right for the slightly smaller but faster-spinning D24T. Never did it though, partly because the behavior of the stock turbo is pretty good especially combined with automatic trans if not looking for big power. There are certainly gains to be had in terms of both response/flexibility and efficiency with a more modern turbo though.

If you tackle it, it will be of great interest to us here to hear how it goes and what your methods and parts are.