D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket

Old 06-16-2021, 04:55 PM

Vehicle: '92 940 GLE, Mercedes 410D, W210 E300td
Default Starter alternative

Are you having starter issues and just can't find a good starter for cheap nearby? Do you have a bad 6th glow plug and decided to not change it until the end of the summer? is your engine worn and the stock starter is not enough for you? Do you just want a starter that spins the engine above the redline when trying to start it in -200kelvin?

Look no futher! Use a starter from a second gen straight five LT(maybe even straight4) i've got mine off of a siezed engine and its works okay. It is a direct bolt on even though the starter is upside down but that isn't a problem.

I had hard time starting the engine when it was cold but not cold enough to use the glowplugs,Which meant get out of the car unplug the sensor, then i had glowplugs for the full20seconds.(low compression causes no start)

With the new starter it starts like a dream when cold(20degrees)with only 5 glow plugs though it is kind of rough for the first couple of seconds while the 6th gets warmed up, and its starts almost instantly when hot or warmish as well.
Old 06-16-2021, 07:02 PM
Supporting Member

Interesting. Are you saying a starter from a second gen straight five LT spins faster than the Volvo d24 starter? Or faster than your old dying Volvo d24 starter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTegla View Post
I had hard time starting the engine when it was cold but not cold enough to use the glowplugs,Which meant get out of the car unplug the sensor, then i had glowplugs for the full20seconds.(low compression causes no start)
Yes agree that this behavior (difficult warmish start) can indicate poor compression.
Old 06-16-2021, 09:53 PM

Vehicle: VW LT1

Which LT do you mean by the second generation. With the 2.5 engine? This will be interesting for sure
Old 06-17-2021, 09:01 AM

Vehicle: '92 940 GLE, Mercedes 410D, W210 E300td

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Interesting. Are you saying a starter from a second gen straight five LT spins faster than the Volvo d24 starter? Or faster than your old dying Volvo d24 starter?

Yes agree that this behavior (difficult warmish start) can indicate poor compression.
It spins way faster than my old one did,can't realy compare to a fully working stock starter because obviusly a didn't have one,mine was kind of slow probably from the milage and the years of it being wet with oil from the valve cover leak/pcv leak. But it sounds fast(and industrial i might add) as far as i know most d24ts were fitted with direct driven starters which are big have big power consumption while not being very stong eithier, While the mk2 LT starter has a reduction on it which makes it stronger i guess?

But yes its from the 2.5 straight 5
Old 06-18-2021, 04:25 PM
Supporting Member

The factory Hitachi starters were a tradeoff. Light weight and compact size vs. reduced service level. They work fine but will burn up from extended cranking periods, as when run out of fuel, or other misc. hard start conditions.

Unlike the lightweight aluminum 740 hood in compensation for the heavier diesel block, it doesn't make much sense to try to save weight with a less robust starter, especially in a diesel.

The larger replacements (AC Delco, Bosch, etc) are harder to fit because of their size and weight but more resistant to extended (heat-producing) cranking periods.

Tags
damned 6thplug, low compression, starter, worn engine