D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Classifieds > Cars for sale

Old 06-05-2020, 10:23 AM

Vehicle: 244
Default Help me find a volvo 240 diesel wagon

I am looking for a volvo 240 diesel wagon manual transmission. Any help finding one would be much appreciated.

If I can't find one, any thoughts on how hard it would be to buy a gas and put a diesel engine in it?
Old 06-06-2020, 07:50 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Check with Anders here on the forum, he might have something or know of one that would suit what you are looking for.

I also know of a few in this part of the country, though the distance is further from where you are. There was a really nice one that came up in the LA area last year and a good one with a lot of recent work completed in Portland earlier this spring, owned by a longtime forum member. Who knows if those ended up selling or not, so you could keep your eye out in those areas in case they surface again. Both were white wagons, '84 or '82 models I think.

More info on what you are looking to find? Price range, willing to buy one from a distant location or want to look only nearby, etc? Preferred color, year, options? Looking for a cheap ratty one that could be a beater, or a nice one and willing to pay a little more?

Those details will help us keep an eye out for what you are looking for. The cars do turn up on a regular basis so if you want one you'll be able to find one soon enough. You may want to follow the "orphan thread" on Turbobricks, even though the vast majority of what is posted there is gas engine Volvos and there are a lot of unhelpful commenters and peanut gallery talk, ads for diesels do get posted on a regular basis too. http://forums.turbobricks.com/showth...64474&page=802

Swapping the diesel drivetrain into a gas body is very simple to do for someone who knows their way around the cars, and everything bolts right in, but it requires a complete 240 diesel donor car to source parts like the engine mounts, 240 type engine wiring harness, transmission/bellhousing, etc. Still, it can sometimes be the best way to get everything you want, especially if you prefer to have a later year 240 which only came to the US originally with a gas engine.

Welcome to the forum and hope you find one and stick around.
Old 06-08-2020, 07:52 AM

Default Thank you v8volvo!

Thank you so much for the post v8volvo. My price range is up to $9-10k, but I would also buy a beater if I could have it fixed up to run. I will be hiring out all the work to a mechanic and would like to have it all done in the next 2 months. I don't need the car to be nice, just functional and reliable, but definitely would prefer nicer since I will have it as a daily driver for a long time. I am thinking about getting a sedan d24t (easier to find ones that are running) and switching the diesel components into a gas wagon that has a nice shell. Not sure if one or both would need to be manuals for me to do that and end up with a manual?

I don't care about color or year, but it needs to be a diesel 240, or 260 wagon, 6 cylindars, manual, prefer 5 speed.

I am watching turbobricks closely.

Much appreciation for the help!
Old 06-08-2020, 08:19 AM

And anywhere in the country that there is a volvo diesel wagon is fine. I can fly out or have it shipped.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:47 AM
Supporting Member

For swapping a diesel into a gas car, the diesel parts donor vehicle does need to be a manual trans car if you want the finished result to end up with a manual. The gas recipient body does not need to start out as a manual car, but it makes the conversion somewhat simpler if it does (otherwise there is some extra effort to convert from auto to manual, as well as gas to diesel). The extra work is not complex, and the manual diesel 200 series donor used as an engine conversion parts source whould provide all the parts for the manual conversion also, but it does add a few more steps on top of what is already a considerable rework of the car.

On the other hand, though, the most important aspect is to have the end result as you want it. If you were to build a swap car starting with a gas body and you found a recipient candidate that ticks all your other boxes, I wouldn't let an auto>manual swap dissuade you from going with it, versus finding a recipient that does have a manual but misses other goals (i.e. worse cosmetic condition, color/year you don't like, etc). It's just one factor among many, not a deciding factor.

Put differently, converting an otherwise ideal automatic car to manual shift might very well actually end up being less work than having to do bodywork restoration, interior restoration, etc on a car that already is set up for manual transmission but needs more help in other areas. It depends on the individual vehicle.

I'll send you an email with some info on a diesel 260 wagon I know of that is for sale a couple hours west of here, in case it helps.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:40 AM

that would really help. Looking forward to the email!
Old 06-12-2020, 07:55 AM

Default Thank you v8volvo!

Send that email when you get a chance. Can't wait!
Old 06-13-2020, 06:41 AM
Supporting Member

Tom, sent you one with the info I know about what is near me.

Again you may want to contact Anders on this forum also, as he is a little closer to your location and has many resources that might help you. He might even have a car that would suit your needs or be able to build you one.

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here, and happy hunting.
Old 06-18-2020, 12:10 PM

Vehicle: 1982 245

There is a 1984 diesel 240 currently for sale in northern Kentucky on facebook marketplace. It looks a little tired and need the IP rebuilt, but if you're interested shoot me a message with your number and I can get you the link.