D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Body and Interior

Old 04-26-2021, 11:32 AM

Vehicle: 940 d24tic
Default 940 with ac blower fan issues-any other causes?

Hi

My fan has died the death on the 940. It was working with a tap but now is totally gone.

I have removed it and to be fair it did not seem noisy or have excessive play in the bearings. It has done 260k miles but i wanted to check if anything else can cause fan failure to the ac models?

It does not have the resistor set up like non ac models by the looks of it.

Mick

Last edited by ukvolvo; 04-26-2021 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-27-2021, 10:28 AM
Supporting Member

In case you don't receive much help here for this issue, remember there are more traffiked sites for general (non-D24) issues, such as turbobricks.com. However, also remember you won't receive as much help for your D24 issues there.
Old 04-28-2021, 06:51 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

I think your setup should still have the resistor for blower motor speed. It might be "buried" inside the HVAC box with only the connector exposed (intended to help keep the resistors cool with airflow). Although, perhaps the right hand drive models are built differently, we of course are not familiar with those here.

One thing that can be a cause of premature death of the HVAC fan on 7/9 series models is if rainwater is getting into the HVAC system inlet chamber due to blocked drains for the plenum area at the base of the windshield (leaves, debris, etc). It can then work its way down into the bottom of the fan motor, since that is the lowest point of the system, and cause the lower bearing to corrode and seize. This is known to sometimes also create extra drag on the motor and extra current load on its circuit, which can lead to melting of the plastic around the blower motor fuse in the fusebox. Pretty commonly seen issue in regions that experience frequent rain and feature a lot of trees/vegetation.

However, if your old motor did run when tapped on, then that suggests it probably was just worn out electrically after long years of use. Not likely in that case that there is anything more concerning going on, like water causing a bearing to seize, or an underlying electrical problem. Probably can just put a new one in and carry on for another 260k.
Old 05-02-2021, 01:02 AM

Vehicle: 940 d24tic

The previous owner has a few bits so i got a nissens fan from him in the box new..... glad i did not pay full price

The fan had the same plug and pcd on 3 bolt holes but the outer casing on the 940 original fan was different. The plastics that came with it did not fit on the car also as far as i could tell so i assume are for a 960. The new motor body fowled on the old plastic also as it stuck out more. I had to reform the outer fan body casing with a blowtorch and a glass jar

And after all that it still didnt seal too well around the edges so i had to use some rubber sealer that came with it to finish it off. And on top of that the new fan is also crap haha. When stationary it seems to have at least 30% less power

So i have heaters again and it works but its is not as good as previous which is rather irritating

Mick
Old 05-03-2021, 02:28 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

I think you are right, sounds like that fan may be for a 760/960 series which uses a different dash design.

Sounds like you made it work though.

The automatic climate control systems in the 760/960 have a greater number of choices for fan speed so maybe they use a different circuit design, that might be the reason it runs more slowly.