D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Member Showroom

Old 01-03-2022, 12:32 PM

Vehicle: 1989 760 gle turbo diesel
Default My 1989 volvo 760 d24tic resurrection 😁

Hello everyone, I have a 1989 Volvo 760 d24tic that's at the field 12 years imported from Italy, my New Year's resolution is to get it back up and running again. I've done all new suspension all new brakes all around death has been flushed transmission has been serviced. Next up is taking off my injection pump/ injectors and have it looked over after water made it way in the body of the pump. I'll be sending it to giles shortly, I am getting all the tools made buy my dad. So no worries there. There's a lot of while you're in there kind of jobs to be done such as cam seals front seal timing belt rear injection belt valve clearance and a new valve cover gasket. I have most of the parts now is there anything else I should be weary of when doing this job

Last edited by Foghorn117; 01-03-2022 at 09:05 PM.
Old 01-03-2022, 09:30 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Congratulations, sounds like a fun project and a special car. Must be one of the only ones like it in N America.

We will look forward to hearing how it goes, the list of work you mentioned sounds like a great starting point for freshening up the important systems and taking care of any deferred maintenance. A good "Stage 0" as some call it. The only thing to be wary of is just making sure you go into all of those jobs prepared with the right info and equipment, and plenty of time and patience so that you can enjoy it and not rush through or cut corners. One thing we like to repeat around here: creative methods are not a good idea when it comes to working on the timing belt and related systems with these engines, the simplest way to save yourself headaches and avoid tragedy is to just stick to the very good factory Volvo instructions and tools (or exact substitutes), word for word, step by step. Sounds like you are planning to do it right!

Just let us know if you have any questions or there is anything you are not able to find.

One interesting question is whether your engine will have hydraulic lifters or solid lifters. On your later year TIC engine they might be hydraulic. If so then you won't need to worry about adjusting valve clearances so that could take one step off your list. Though proactively replacing the lifters on the hydraulic engines at higher miles is considered by some to be wise maintenance, as they do have internal parts that are able to wear out.