D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Body and Interior

Old 05-04-2015, 12:48 PM

Default windshield wiper and blower motror out

I did an install of a wiper motor. It worked initially. Now it doesn't work. Neither does my ac heater blower motor. The fuses are all intact. The other lights/ horns on the respective fuses work.
What do I do next?
Old 05-04-2015, 07:55 PM
Supporting Member

Year, model?
Old 07-21-2015, 05:28 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Idiot wiper, then a shot Heater fan/blower motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by slovolvo View Post
I did an install of a wiper motor. It worked initially. Now it doesn't work. Neither does my ac heater blower motor. The fuses are all intact. The other lights/ horns on the respective fuses work.
What do I do next?
Hi Everyone. Nice to do some brick stuff again but it`s equally great too not having `big` problems... after all those miles.

This is not diesel specific at all, but I`d like to get some quick info before I place an order.
Problem is similar to SloVolvo`s issue above.

A few weeks back I disconnected and removed the wiper unit including the motor etc... to figure out why the heck my wiper action sloowwss (in just a few seconds) then it freezes (=stops completely; not caring where it`s actually traveling on the windshield); on the fastest setup ONLY. Been like that for a long time.
All other speeds + intermittent work fine. Relay checked also.

So,...long story short: as always, the project froze too (crazy boss,busy schedule)... The wiper hasn`t been installed ever since and we did get some heavy rains often. Many days the car was parked outside, a few times with the left side higher up on the curb (water ran towards the right side. I guess )

It probably f\./cked my Heater fan/AC blower motor (which often produced the well known hatred strange high-pitch sounds, anyway.... )
I will be thankful for it going bad finally. Also glad now that I`m having this happening with a 740 brick, instead of the 240! Oh yeah.

One day last week I noticed that the heater fan does not turn on at all. 1-2-3-4 positions were all dead, out of the blue (never did it before).
First I checked the fuse, saw nothing wrong. As I kept tinkering with the switch, I left it on `4` (engine running).
Then it shortly blew a green 30A fuse. I believe it was #16.

{I often saw before, the Voltage quickly dropping back to 10-12V at the moment the switch was turned. Same thing when the fan decided to not move and the fuse was still ok. This kept going on even after the fuse blew.
The blower obviously needs substantial juice but not that much; I`m sure.}

So avoiding alternator issues I disconnected and removed the entire crap BLOWER-junk for inspection.
Damn it. I had a hard time turning it by hand: This thing feels almost stuck.

I had a Delco (UK) unit in there. I never had running AC in this car, although it is all there but the compr is not okay I guess so there`s no belt currently, system is not charged either... SO driver boiled himself and blower worked hard a LOT, for such a long time… Time to get a new one. :~)

Ordering a new replacement motor I`m comfused a bit. Right now I`m looking at a $27 cheapness-thing from Autozone. (Everco brand)
http://www.autozone.com/cooling-heat...mString=search

My question is, why parts stores list this Heater fan unit as a ``single speed unit``? Is it what it is? Then there must be something regulating the fan speed (position 1-2-3-4 I`m thinking about)/voltage. Is it a must (or suggested?) to locate and replace other electric parts such as the resistor?
If yes, where is that in a 1986 740? I`d love to order tonight so decided to ask here instead of reading the Chilton.

My other question is, why do I see them listed as `With AC ` or WITHOUT AC?
What`s the main difference? I can`t see a biggie anywhere. (higher single speed? multiple speed functions?)

Hopefully I get this crap done by Sat if the part is ordered tonight. Then I can focus on rebuilding my AC finally, although I have a working sunroof so that helps a lot.
Killer heat and humidity here. Thanks for your ideas!

Last edited by RedArrow; 07-21-2015 at 06:39 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:53 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Talking blower pictures

Added my picts. Inside there, is full of dinosaur-hair and dust from the eighties...

What i dont see on new blowers available now on the market is those tiny metal 'clips' around the edge of the wheel. Most likely they assist in staying balanced. (Added by manufacturer?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150720_221328.jpg (94.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20150720_221811.jpg (94.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20150720_223257.jpg (89.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20150711_205454.jpg (81.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 20150711_205234.jpg (90.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 07-21-2015 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Supporting Member

Fan speed controlled by fan speed switch and resistor pack. Do you have access to any service manuals?