D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Old 04-05-2021, 10:44 AM

Vehicle: 1984 240 dl wagon
Default desperately seeking help in los angeles

hello d24 friends

i shared my story over in the new member introductions thread you can read the details there

but to summarize i am in desperate need of a d24 mechanic in the los angeles area
i am unfortunately getting very close to having to say goodbye to my beautiful dream car as i cant find anyone with the tools or ability to work on my car

so this is a last ditch plea for help to anyone that might know of mechanics in the greater los angeles area who can service these engines??

any leads would be so greatly appreciated!!
thank you

from
jon walter mocey-hanton
Old 04-05-2021, 03:01 PM
Supporting Member

I am going to merge this thread with your existing thread of similar title and issue, in an effort to help current and future info seekers and to keep the forum slightly more organized.
Old 04-05-2021, 09:35 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Don't make any rash decisions yet, give it a little time.

The group of folks willing/capable to work on these is small but the right people are out there. Southern CA is a dense area and there will be someone who can help you not far away, just plan on doing a little more leg work, and figure on starting a good relationship with whoever you do find, make it worth their time to do everything right for you.

How far are you willing to travel for work on this collectible, classic car you are seeking to get back on the road? FYI: of the folks out there who own these cars and don't perform the maintenance themselves, it is common to travel a significant distance to have upkeep/repairs done by an expert. Tom Bryant in Maine sees cars brought to him from many states away. In comparable/similar cases of other types classic vehicles requiring the attention of a "guru", this kind of thing is also commonly seen.

What I'm saying is that you can definitely keep your car and get it in tip-top shape but it might mean using someone a couple of hours away.

Have you contacted Josh / Yoshifab in San Diego? He has done several D24T builds.

How about member adamdrives on this forum, now residing somewhere in CA, I believe San Jose?

Forum member 745 TurboGreasel doesn't post here as often as he used to but is experienced with these engines and no doubt could help with the work if he could be persuaded to. He is near Watsonville.

Cast the net a little wider, and you have options.
Old 04-06-2021, 11:32 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

I posted in your other thread which will merge with this one. You should not throw in the towel yet, don't get rid of it because you can't find a shop to handle it -- the next person will only encounter the same problem. It's better off in your hands to be cared for. Plan on transporting it a little further outside the neighborhood and you will succeed in finding good hands to get it to. We will help you.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:51 PM

Vehicle: 1982 245 GL

Jon,

I am sorry to hear that you were not able to contact anyone that could help you out. Let's keep trying though.

Looked up Swedish Speed in Perris, CA on the internet and it appears that the name has changed to Champion Automotive. It's operating out of the same address and using the phone number provided in my last posting so its puzzling why you could not get through.

Oh, I took my car to Art at Fjords for years to do non engine work and had the engine work done at Werstat West in Long Beach. Werkstat had recommended Swedish Car Clinic when they declined to work on it any longer.

I would try to contact the shop in Perris again. I may take a drive out there or call myself to find out if they are still open, it appears so from there posting on the internet under Champion.

Roger
Old 05-07-2021, 07:42 PM

Vehicle: 1982 245 GL

Jon,

Since my last post I have done some more investigating. Nothing for certain yet that is worth posting. Since finding a mechanic with the proper experience would benefit both of us, suggest you call me some evening to discuss. My home telephone number is xxx-xxx-xxxx.

Roger

Last edited by ngoma; 05-08-2021 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Removed naked telephone number
Old 05-08-2021, 10:58 AM
Supporting Member

I have removed your telephone number from your last post.

There are webcrawlers that scrape the internet to harvest telephone numbers for spam lists. Figured you didn't want the extra aggravation of added telephone spammers.

Suggest you use the Private Message feature of the forum by clicking on the member's handle, and choosing "Send a private message to JohnDoe."

Check your private message inbox by clicking the "User CP" menu from the menu bar near the top of the page.