D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-02-2020, 08:22 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Turbodiesel Thursday

Not much was achieved today in terms of `dieseling`...

Some wood cutting, drilling holes to create a nice and stable battery tray on the engine stand. Then, building up the cooling system and finalizing it so *soon* I`ll be able to safely run the engine for longer than a minute.

I found the children bunkbed ladder perfect for the application to mount the large radiator on the engine stand. It already had the perfect bend, exactly what I wanted to build somehow. It was also the perfect height and width, even had the holes already at the bottom where all I had to do is drill into the stand and use two bolts to secure the thing to it.

Then, the top `tilt` is fixed and stabilized by a stylish solution: a repurposed oem VOLVO alternator belt off the donor car, also the two rusty trusty hooks from the donor car`s battery tray (were holding down the battery by a rubber strap). I simply put them thru a drilled radiator hole and hooked them into the top of the `ladder`. Works like a charm, there was some alignment to do; including the magic of zipties supporting the elephant tusk d24 lower coolant hose.

I added the expansion reservoir with the proper black diesel-cap and tightened all cooling system clamps, all over the entire engine. Must have been some thirty clamps to check (?)!

I found and filled in 1.5gallon of Zerex G05 coolant which is perfect but it isnt the premixed version so tomorrow I`ll have a walk to Rite@id for 2G of distilled water.
Then my cooling system will be topped up, kept under a strict checkup, air bled.

After everything set up, I`ll reconnect the (I think functioning) coldstart device and watch what happens.

The coolant thermostat looks new but they usually do. So I wont trust it. I actually need to remove it... bring it home and put some oil on the stove, start heating it and test the thermostat in it using a digital thermometer. The temperature fluctuates more if water is used so this time it will be oil. The thermostat should open somewhere between 80-87Celsius. It is a good quality Wahler 87 C part, but I think I should test it!

Only then continue to fill up the coolant system and complete the air bleeding process, recheck clamps and watch for leaks (if any).

I need to reconnect the fuel filter and feed fuel through there, also make a nicer fuel `tank` and secure it better than a swinging seltzer bottle.

The pictures will show the two dirtiest parts on this engine. One is the fan clutch (at least I removed and cleaned the rotor), the other oily dirtbox is that P.S. system (ps also stands for power steering, ) ).
I had to add `that ps` on the engine bc on this d24t the same long belt runs on the fan, the ps and the crank pulley.
On my d24t it isnt the case I think. Anyway, so I added it for now but I need to renew the ps, I know. It looks worse than the rest of this d24t. :`))

The Nissens radiator does not have a single fin bent at the front. I like it!

P.S. (another one )
The duct tape on the downpipe is covering holes (!), indicates what kind of rust this poor donor 744 had.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200702_203842.jpg (383.3 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg 20200702_215715.jpg (473.5 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20200702_215807.jpg (666.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20200702_223216.jpg (512.9 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 20200702_224402.jpg (439.3 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 07-02-2020 at 08:44 PM.