D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 01-18-2021, 11:23 AM

Default leak fixed?

hi all
well i got the car back but to late to check leak is ok they tell me all is ok now .
but driving home i noticed in low gear the auto was hesitant . then i noticed going up steep hill the car was staying in third gear i think never done that before . could the problem be anything to do with the adjustment they have made . i may be over thinking all this with whats gone on the garage said they had fixed the cold start tooset it up .
can there now be other issues going on cold start.kick down .gears change playing up , if so won't go back to that garage ,
Old 01-18-2021, 01:39 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

It sounds like when they were working on the pump, they probably made some changes to the linkages that may have altered the kickdown cable adjustment and/or the relationship of the spool to the lever on the IP. Not a big deal, you can play with it and get it back to where you want it, if you wish. Or if you aren't bothered by the new behavior you can probably also live with it, as long as it's nothing crazy (no harsh shifts etc).

The linkages do have a lot of adjustment points so the easiest way to get them right is to just use the adjustment procedure in the Volvo factory manual ("greenbook"). Otherwise it can take a lot of fiddling and trial and error to get a setting you like.

We could send you some pictures of the manual pages that show how to do this if you want to give it a try. Otherwise you could try loosening the kickdown cable a little bit if you want (change the position of the nuts so that the sheath moves closer to the end of the cable). It sounds like from what you are saying the shifting is a little bit later than you are used to, which means that the kickdown cable has in effect been tightened up as a result of the work that was done.

However, be careful not to loosen that cable too much. You would rather have it too tight than too loose. If it's too loose then shifts will be too early AND too soft under acceleration, which can cause damage to the trans. Make adjustments in small increments if you make any at all, don't overdo it.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:41 PM
Supporting Member

Did they get the cold start device working normally again?
Old 01-18-2021, 11:53 PM

Default D24 update

hi
the cold start is back working no belching smoke on start up .and the leak is fixed hopefully will clean the area and keep a ey on it for a few days .
i have the green book i got one many years ago also got the update on the
D 24 TIC , which changes to cam belt set up ,injection pump set up changed from 0.90 0.95 . . EGR, catalytic converter.plus other changes!
the auto gear box up shift is noticeable in low gear about 2nd i think but is that ok on a 25 year old car 279000 miles i don't drive the car hard only a blow out now and then at 45mph upwards to clear the soot out .
so i will attempt to just the crimp so its back beside the 8mm threaded lock nuts adjustment hole ,
Old 01-20-2021, 06:29 AM
Supporting Member

Good news, sounds like your guys got it straightened out and it sounds like you have all the info you need to adjust the kickdown and throttle linkage if you choose to.
Old 01-20-2021, 11:12 AM

Default injection pump latest

well folks yes the car is not leaking diesel and cold start working at correct
settings 750 when hot and 950 when cold ,but definitely loss of power when
going up hill the hill i use near my home been going up for 20 years in this car
i now can only get over 30mph with pedal to the floor if i drop into 3rd on auto box it pulls better and on the straight i got up to nearly 80 mph so power is there once im on the flat but builds up these cars were fast from 50mph in there day
so is this a simple fix or a trip back to the garage who did the job .some things never simple !
all comments welcome
Old 01-20-2021, 05:14 PM
Supporting Member

Looks like it is bogging down in too high of a gear. Related to the AT kickdown cable dis-calibration you went thru last year?

What are the engine RPMs when you have pedal to the floor while climbing the hill? Pedal to the floor should immediately drop down one or (often) two gears and get you in the 2500 - 4000 RPM range, where the turbo is able to help the engine make some real power. Lots of noise & excitement!

Pretty gutless below 2000 RPM.
Old 01-21-2021, 12:39 AM

thanks for the input .
yes car does not seem to drop down climbing the hill now.
reves are 2300 rpm when climbing hill . if its kickdown problem is that a big job to set up . cold start was good this morning .my friend drove it up the hill this morning said it was not to bad . as it got power on the straight flat.
seems like we are heading back to the lockdown . but i do need a person who knows these set ups really well to look at things from a different angle to say
what he thinks ,!
Old 01-21-2021, 12:42 AM

if kick down is not coming on are we inside gearbox or is it possible to just the accelerator cable to make car kick down its running ok through the gears on the flat now
Old 01-21-2021, 08:43 AM
Supporting Member

Actually before attempting to change the kickdown cable settings or worrying any more about the transmission's behavior, I would look again at the settings of the injection pump.

Based on the fact that we now know the engine is down on power, which we had not understood before when you first mentioned the transmission acting differently, I believe what you are noticing may not be related to the trans at all.

Lack of engine power (or changes in engine power curve) can sometimes confuse the driver into believing there is a transmission issue when in reality there is not. Since you have to push further into the pedal to get the power you need out of a doggy engine, it affects the transmission shift points/quality and can fool you into thinking the trans is acting up, when in reality it is only doing what you are asking of it with your foot, and the engine's misbehavior is the issue instead.

I once knew a guy who had an automatic transmission REBUILT at huge effort and expense in his TDI car because he believed it was "slipping" -- engine revved high with pedal to floor but car did not accelerate -- when in reality, the only issue was that the engine had a clogged fuel filter. The trans would kick down since the pedal was floored but the engine had no power at high revs so it acted just like a slipping gearbox, at least in his perception. Point is you have to be keen in your observations about what exactly the drivetrain is doing to catch subtle differences in symptoms and go in the right direction for a solution.

My recommendation for now would be to IGNORE the different behavior of the trans and FOCUS instead on why the engine seems to be down on power. From what you are saying, it sounds like it has a lot of lag and very soft power when initially starting out, but then once engine speed and turbo boost comes up it is OK. This can be a sign of the "smoke screw" (fueling quantity adjustment screw) on the IP not being turned in far enough. This gets changed when the throttle controls of the pump are being worked on, which is exactly what recently occurred on your engine. They may not have gotten the screw back in the right position.

Two questions to answer:

1) If you floor the accelerator taking off from a stop, do you see a puff of smoke from the exhaust? And does the car feel as strong launching as it used to?

2) Are you familiar with the "smoke screw" on the pump and its location? Would you be comfortable making some adjustments to it, if we give you guidance?

If the answer to 2 above is "no" then the best plan is probably to bring it back once more to the folks who did the work on the pump for you, and inform them that they may need to recheck the setting of the fuel quantity screw since the engine is down on power.

ALSO, when was the last time the fuel filter was replaced? And you are not seeing any air anymore in the inlet line from the filter to the injection pump, correct?