D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Classifieds > Cars for sale
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2023, 06:05 PM

Vehicle: 1983 Volvo Diesel 245 Wagon and 1965 Volvo 1800s
Default 1983 Volvo 245 Diesel Wagon by original owner!

For Sale : 1983 Volvo 245 DL Diesel Wagon by original owner!
El Cerrito CA

This 1983 Diesel Volvo 245 Wagon has been in my family since it was brand new. The original sales receipt shows that my mom ordered the car with the Diesel engine, Roof Rack, Pin Striping, and Cruise Control options on November 8th, 1982.

Its early life was spent as a family car in suburban Maryland. I learned to drive stick-shift on this car back in 1985. The wagon moved out to California in 2006 with my kid sister while she was studying at Stanford. It was first registered under my name and fitted with California plates in 2003 at which point it became my wife's main car and daily driver up until last week when we finally got her a car built in THIS century.

This Diesel wagon has been on the road as a daily driver since new, and so, has always been maintained for that purpose. It is with a heavy heart that we are deciding it is finally time to pass "Tootles" (as its been known here) on to a new home. She starts up easily and runs smooth - moves slow as a tortoise out of the gate, but cruises as fast as you need in overdrive on the highway!

The main reason we are selling is that our preferred local mechanics have all retired. We would like to see this old friend go to a new home where it will be maintained and kept on the road. I believe with the right new owner, this car will outlive us all!

So, although this car is ready to drive around as-is, there are somethings that will need attention in short order. There are also alot of great things to tell about it too! Please note that We had some major work done in 2019, but barely drove anywhere in 2020/1 as the pandemic had us mostly staying at home. So, much of this work and the parts have very low mileage on them.

I will do my best to list both the "good" and the "bad" here so you are informed before reaching out to us....

The Good:

Original Owners
Original Paint
Service records - dating back as far as 1983!
California car since 1996
SMOG TEST EXEMPT in CA!
Starts easily even in cold weather
Drives straight - Handles great!
Good brakes!
Overdrive works!
Regularly maintained as a "daily driver"
Fitted Seat covers are in place in front and rear, but not sewn on. They are dark blue but the rest of the interior is gold/tan... The driver's seat really needed the cover, but I think the others might be okay underneath.
2022 - Replace clutch cable
2021 - New Battery
2019 - October - 4 new tires!
2019 - May - Replace Clutch pedal Assembly
2019 - May - Replace Timing Belt and front Seals
2019 - May - Replace Brake Master cylinder
2019 - May - Replace R/F Brake caliper
2019 - May - Replace Valve Cover Gasket
2019 - May - Repair intermediate exhaust pipe leak
2019 - May - Replace tie rod end
2019 - May - replace R/S steering boot + Power Steering Hose
2018 - October - Replace Overdrive Relay
2014 - April - Replace All Glow Plugs
Additional service records going back to 1983 will be included.

Some Spare Parts will be included with the sale including:
2 NOS plastic map pockets for the driver's and passenger's doors.
1 NOS clutch cable (original GEMO! Cable is special for diesel only)
1 NOS accelerator cable
original owner's manual

The only Volvo with Farfignugen! (window sticker included)

The Bad:

Currently leaks oil - probably from the valve cover and pressure sensor.
Left front CV boot is torn.
Left front high beam needs replacement.
The exhaust leak needs to be repaired again or better yet, the intermediate pipe replaced - engine sounds good, but loud!
AC is disconnected (belt removed) all other parts are intact.
Cruise Control is currently non-op.
Back Hatch no longer locks automatically with other doors - it DOES lock with the key however.

East coast car from 1983 - 1996
Small areas of rust - its not bad underneath, but there is some bubbling at 3 of the roof rack mounts, And also the lower rear corner of the driver's side side cargo window, and 2 small spots near the nose of the hood.
Minor dent in driver (L/F) and passenger (R/F) doors from parking garage idiots.
Dash board has cracks on top and the E-brake plastic console cover (in-between the 2 front seats) is broken.
Diesel emblem on back has fallen off, but will be included!

As with many 240's The Speedometer works, but the odometer stopped working around 2003 at 122k miles. We estimate we have driven an average of less than 3k annually since then. So actual mileage is unknown, but it is likely closer to : 175k-180k

Please get in touch with me here on the forum or via email if you are interested in this grand opportunity! We have more pictures and stories to tell you if needed - And am happy to answer any questions you may have.

asking $4500 obo - However, all serious offers will be considered.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1150908 tiny.jpg (74.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg P1150898 tiny.jpg (89.7 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg P1150914 tiny.jpg (96.0 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg P1150913 tiny.jpg (93.5 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg P1150893 tiny.jpg (80.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 12-16-2023, 10:53 AM
Supporting Member

That's gotta be some kind of record!!!

And some kind of major life decision, like a family heirloom.

GLWS!
Old 12-17-2023, 09:58 AM

Yes, you are right! Its been kind of a family heirloom and definitely a tough decision.
But, If you are referring to reaching a record for mileage or years of ownership.... I don't think we deserve that title as much as Irv Gordon who famously drove his 1966 p1800 3.2 Million miles!
However, if you were referring to the asking price..... Please note that we are absolutely open to offers and are much more concerned with finding a good home with a new owner who will keep it on the road than getting as much for it as we can.
This is why we have listed our Diesel Wagon here first (and for now exclusively) in hopes of finding such a person amongst this D24 loving community.
It has been an extremely dependable vehicle throughout our time together and you could probably drive it home today as-is as long as you don't live 3.2 million miles away!
Thanks!
Old 12-18-2023, 10:21 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

It looks like a nice car in decent shape for its age. I like them in white.
Old 02-09-2024, 06:14 PM

Hello! I just wanted to post an update to let folks know that our original owner 1983 Diesel wagon is still available for purchase!

I kind of imagined that it might take a little time to sell a vehicle during the holiday season when we initially posted. However, its been almost 2 months since we listed the car here and aside from the 2 very kind comments here from ngoma and RedArrow, Nobody has reached out and expressed any interest.

I am really hoping someone here would like to own this wagon and keep it on the road. I will continue to hold off on listing it locally for another couple of weeks - Keeping it exclusive to this online community which has been such an amazing resource over the years.

Remember that the price is VERY negotiable. If you have been thinking and wondering about making an offer - please reach out and email me through my member profile page here on D24T.com or message me right here in the forum - Just make an offer!

Or if you are reading this and are also a member of another D24 fan group or know of an individual who may be interested, please feel free to direct them here to view this thread and support this website too!

How about it? Anyone been thinking about buying this good trusty wagon?
Old 02-14-2024, 07:43 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quite an amazing story. I still think it'll find an excited new owner. I will try to spread the word a little more. How many cars are out there 40 years later with the family that bought them new?

Have you looked into Bring A Trailer or Cars & Bids?
Old 02-24-2024, 01:24 PM

Vehicle: 1982 245-GL D6, 1982 244-GL D6

Sent a PM for more info.