D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 01-21-2021, 06:16 PM

Vehicle: 740 sedan
Post Restomod 740

Hi guys, i have a Volvo 740 sedan D24TIC and im planning to build the ultimate daily driver out of it.
Currently it has an M46 trans, all bone stock, but was used and abused as a workhorse for years. Although the engine was rebuilt 9years ago, which is probably true, it starts immediatetly cold, warm. We just refurbished the rear suspension, changed all oils in the car, sorting out the electric things and the biggest issue is rust... it has a lot but hopefully soon will that be done too.

However, i have several questions:
In the front suspension, is there any tricks to get the shock out of its tube easily?

Is there any company that makes aftermarket hood hinges? Mine is already broken and welded but i want a better looking solution.

Which trim, engine, trans combination got the longer rear ends? I am looking for the 3.31 mainly but the second longest is in sight too. Maybe some of you have one that i could buy in Europe.

Turbo. Mine carrying the oil through the system, so i need to either rebuild it, or get a new one. Do you have any information about the turbo this engine has? I mean if possible i would want to get the whole specification cuz i only have the production number and the fact its the same as the r33 skyline turbo, Garrett m24 A/R 42.
Also i want to pu a bit bigger coldside on it so i have a bit more power and hopefully better, wider powerband, to have boost from 1500rpm and just till 3500rpm.
What else should i change on the engine to make i would say 170-200hp. Boost gauge, oil temp, oilpressure, voltage probably a neccesity.

How can i repair the gauge cluster on these? My speedo, the Rpm works sometimes, and the kilometer counter does not at all (probably the gear inside) but the others are electric problem, also the fuel gauge does not work at all.. is there any solutions for these? Rewire the cluster maybe? Are there replacement part for it?

Do you know any common failure on these cars? I know the gauge cluster, the hood hinge, wiring is there any other?

About the suspension, are there any cons for polyuretane bushings? Which should or shouldnt i get?
Are there any not that stiff coilover option? Its gonna be a daily driver so it should be confortable still. Also planning 17" wheels and more beefed up swaybars, maybe lowering it 10-15cm.

I will include pictures of the car in replies soon and about the whole build, its also a youtube series for me, i will add that too if you are interested.

I hope i can get info about some of these stuff i wrote about and wish that its interesting or will be useful for others too
Old 01-21-2021, 09:40 PM

[QUOTE=bollapeter;14618]
I will include pictures of the car in replies soon and about the whole build, its also a youtube series for me, i will add that too if you are interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg forum-2.jpg (729.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg forum-3.jpg (840.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg forum-4.jpg (747.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg forum-5.jpg (587.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg forum-6.jpg (870.1 KB, 4 views)
Old 01-21-2021, 09:43 PM
Supporting Member

Welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bollapeter View Post
Yes, photos would be great.

Quote:
...it starts immediatetly cold, warm.
That is a very good sign indicating that the compression is good.

Quote:
In the front suspension, is there any tricks to get the shock out of its tube easily?
Are you talking about the gland nut?

Quote:
Is there any company that makes aftermarket hood hinges? Mine is already broken and welded but i want a better looking solution.
Best bet is to find some good ones at the junk yard.

Quote:
Which trim, engine, trans combination got the longer rear ends? I am looking for the 3.31 mainly but the second longest is in sight too. Maybe some of you have one that i could buy in Europe.
http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-90...Identification

http://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-90...AxleRatioTable (NOTE: Europe might be different?)

Quote:
How can i repair the gauge cluster on these? My speedo, the Rpm works sometimes, and the kilometer counter does not at all (probably the gear inside) but the others are electric problem, also the fuel gauge does not work at all.. is there any solutions for these? Rewire the cluster maybe? Are there replacement part for it?
What year? The Yazuki or either VDO units require different treatments. Often these problems are from cold solder joints.

https://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-9...rchangeability

Quote:
About the suspension, are there any cons for polyuretane bushings? Which should or shouldnt i get?
Do some searching on turbobricks.com forum; they have covered this extensively.

Quote:
Are there any not that stiff coilover option? Its gonna be a daily driver so it should be confortable still.
Also find at turbobricks.com. Several there run coilovers, for autox, drifting, rally, etc. Also there are fabricators that sell coilover kits and more.
Old 01-22-2021, 04:40 AM

[QUOTE=ngoma;14622]
Are you talking about the gland nut?

Thats just terribly rusted out. i mean the shock itself
Old 01-22-2021, 04:43 AM

[QUOTE=ngoma;14622]
What year? The Yazuki or either VDO units require different treatments. Often these problems are from cold solder joints.

https://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-9...rchangeability

Its a 1988 EUDM, i uploaded a pic of the cluster in the first reply. can i put a goot gasoline cluster in ? just change the Rpm gauge? or is that a dumb idea ?
Old 01-22-2021, 11:58 AM
Supporting Member

Well, the shock cartridge sits inside the strut tube, locked in place by the gland nut. If you cannot remove the gland nut, you cannot R/R the cartridge and would need to replace the entire strut assembly. Or go to coilover, as you asked about earlier.

Quote:
...can i put a goot gasoline cluster in ? just change the Rpm gauge? or is that a dumb idea ?
As you state, the tachometer in the diesel gets its signal from the alternator, so that is different. Also there are the D24T-specific indicator lamps for glow plugs, and turbo overboost. Wouldn't be too difficult to rewire those circuits to some unused indicator lamp spaces in the gasser instrument cluster. Maybe try a swap if you cannot repair?

This section has several helpful fixes for the instrument clusters:
https://www.brickboard.com/FAQ/700-9...nstruments.htm

Tags
740, europe, restomod, turbo, volvo