D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2011, 03:41 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

What a bummer. Looks like there's not much there that can be saved.

Yep, I had something like this happen to one of mine while I was driving it. I was able to stall it -- barely! -- by dumping the clutch in high gear. Even then, it slipped the clutch for a good few seconds before it finally killed. These motors can certainly produce a huge amount of power when they are getting major fuel and boost... I was glad it didn't break the transmission.

In the case of my incident, turning off the key did nothing. Evidently when the pump is turning at high RPM, fuel is able to be pushed past the plunger of the shutoff solenoid. Not a happy situation. My motor seems to have survived and still runs OK with a new pump on it, but I wonder whether the rotating assembly may have been damaged by high stresses from the over-rev and could fail later on... Haven't yet decided whether or not to tear it down preemptively.

On a different car in a separate incident, I also had a pump that had sat for years do something similar, though not nearly as extreme. It would start and immediately speed up to 2500 rpm, and would not move from that speed no matter where the throttle lever was set. Then eventually it would stall. Needed a full rebuild.

Glad you have an extra replacement motor to get your project back on track. It would have been a tough pill if that had been your only unit.

Anders, you have quite the collection of interesting cars. Will be interested to see your 244 TD when it is finished. Maybe those of us in the Puget Sound area will have to have a get-together sometime. There are several of us out here.
Old 10-14-2011, 03:44 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Don't beat yourself up over it. You would almost have to have the board ready to go in one hand, while starting the engine with the other. The good thing is that you were not hurt by any parts grenading out of the engine, which is a real possibility.

Which leads us to an exploded view of the IP, to show the parts I was talking about in my earlier post:

http://postimage.org/image/rmdi5o9w/

What I referred to as fuel collar they call Control sleeve

The fulcrum lever they call Governor lever

Shaft they call plunger.
Does the Datsun motor use a Bosch pump too? I would have thought it would have a Zexel or Nippon Denso unit. All the Japanese diesels I have seen before have used Zexel or ND pumps, but I have never gotten close to an LD28. Worked on an SD33 in a Scout one time, but I don't remember what kind of pump it had on it. I think it was an inline pump but I can't recall whose.
Old 10-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Supporting Member

The LD28 had a Zexel IP, a Bosch-licensed VE knockoff made in Japan, identical for all intents and purposes to a Bosch VE, except for the nameplate, and of course the outer accelerator lever and cold start device are different. The CSD works in the same manner as the D24 but the thermostatic actuator itself is fatter and shorter. It also has an additional electrically-actuated solenoid mounted on the rear of the top cover (looks like another fuel cutoff solenoid) to advance timing, controlled via RPM sensor and a potentiometer that reported throttle position. The LD28 was a beefed-up L24 (240Z engine), well-made, smooth and reliable. Iron block and head, timing chain, etc.