D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2011, 02:05 AM

Ha ha, yes bit more cluttered on the turbo side of the engine for us!

Thanks for your reply.

I currently have the MBC between the compressor and the wategate - so just disconnect it after the MBC and plug it? Will give it a try - being gentle with the throttle.

As for the vacuum - It's hard to tell if that's the gauge (it is a cheap one) or if it's actually the engine pulling vacuum. When I disconnected the gauge and did the finger over the end test, I didn't actually feel any suction...it just felt like the boost being pushed through stopped suddenly.

Good point about the fuel - it could be an electronic shut-off - never know what trickery they've put in these later UK cars. Although, it doesn't really feel like it loses that much power when it happens though.

Manifold - there is nothing in the TIC inlet manifold like the T manifold - would have seen it when I did the headgasket. Got an N/A manifold to go on soon anyway, once I've sorted out a couple of boost hoses and a reducer.

Will try what you've suggested and get back to you.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:27 AM

Vehicle: 1991 940 TDic saloon, 1989 740 TD saloon.

Hey Ian,

I have put the same system on my car and there is a light on the dash that luminates when the boost get high...... :-) but ive not had the problem with fuel cut off..........but I am jellous that you have managed to get a NA manifold, let me know if it makes any difference.

volvo-express
Old 12-07-2011, 12:11 PM

Well, the NA manifold, I got from a guy breaking an LT35 diesel on the "BrickYard" forum - £30 inc postage.

Yeh, this boost things weird, it's wasting the boost somewhere long before it gets to the boost you're getting in yours. What psi is your light coming on at?
Old 12-23-2011, 12:48 AM

Right, I found it.

Tried disconnecting the wastegate but still the same;

Tried running wire straight to the pump but still the same;

What I found was actually a bit worrying. Where it looks to me like the boost is being "wasted", it isn't... at all! What is actually happening is the boost is getting as high as the MBC/wastegate allow (past 15psi), but one of those little devices in the inner wing interrupt the boost supply to the fuel pump.... and my boost gauge takes it's feed just before the fuel pump, so it also interrupts the pressure to the boost gauge! That's why the power fell off when it happened, but wasn't a massive power loss, because the boost stays there, but because the fuel pump sees no more boost, it leans off the LDA.

So.... as that seems like a completely useless little device, I've just taken it out (it's still plugged in, but the boost hoses bypass it now).