D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 04-06-2021, 09:42 AM

Default good oil ?

hi all
i have been using a millers XFE 10 40 moter oil for the last 21 years and 250000 miles i now find out its being discontinued for a cheaper millers 10 40 trident brand . what is your opinion as you all problem use a different oil with different
spec my car being the D24 tic 1995 vintage ,i just want a pretty good oil for it
Old 04-06-2021, 11:28 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Can you find a good quality 5W40 fully synthetic diesel rated oil?

A 5W40 (or 0W40) synthetic will perform better than 10W40 for protecting your engine on cold starts. Faster oil pressure rise and better flow when the engine is not yet warmed up. 10W40 weight is old technology now so maybe it's best that you are looking at moving on anyway.

Here in the US our available brands are probably different than yours. But many of us here like the 5W40 diesel synthetic products marketed under Mobil 1 TDT/Delvac 1, Shell Rotella T6, Chevron Delo 400, and similar. Castrol's oils are also considered excellent quality though often more expensive, and you almost certainly have those.

European brands such as Lubro Moly/Liqui Moly, Fuchs/Titan, ELF, Pentosin, ROWE, and more are all very good also.

Many choices out there. Some people approach it like it's a religion, but in reality it's hard to go wrong as long as whatever you choose is a quality product. Look for one that meets the VW 502.00 or 505.00 or 505.01 or 507.00 standard which applies to the modern incarnations of this engine, then you will know for sure that you have something suitable.
Old 04-07-2021, 05:42 AM

Default good oil

hi v8volvo
i have been advised to go for a millers longline XF 5 w30 fully synthetic oil by the manufactures . this oil is the volvo spec oil , so hopefully im ok . thank you for your valued input as always it will be changed at 5000 miles
Old 04-08-2021, 03:49 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
hi v8volvo
i have been advised to go for a millers longline XF 5 w30 fully synthetic oil by the manufactures . this oil is the volvo spec oil , so hopefully im ok . thank you for your valued input as always it will be changed at 5000 miles
That should be fine. Fully synthetic and diesel rated are the most important things. A 5W30 or 5W40 grade will work equally well in almost all conditions.

For extended driving in hot weather involving high speeds and/or hilly terrain, a 5W40 might offer slightly better lubrication performance and lower oil consumption than a 5W30. But to my knowledge very hot weather is rare in your part of the world, and speeds are not excessively high even on motorways, so that should not be much of an issue for your situation.

Go for it and enjoy, you may notice slightly quicker and easier cranking during cold starts in the winter with your new oil as well.
Old 04-09-2021, 12:10 PM

Default good oil

thanks for your valued input V8VOLVO
the manufacture lists 5w30 fully synthetic oil which i have now purchased .
only thing missing on there data sheet is VW 502-00 or 505-00 codes . but the cheaper 5w30 fully synthetic also recommend by same manufacture has these data codes its 20% cheaper
it confused me now but take it this oil is fine the premium one ive bought for your info its - MILLERS XF FULLY SYNTHETIC E.C.O. 5w30 long life change oil at 7500 KLM
Old 04-10-2021, 09:20 PM

Vehicle: 940 d24tic

Quote:
thanks for your valued input V8VOLVO
the manufacture lists 5w30 fully synthetic oil which i have now purchased .
only thing missing on there data sheet is VW 502-00 or 505-00 codes . but the cheaper 5w30 fully synthetic also recommend by same manufacture has these data codes its 20% cheaper
it confused me now but take it this oil is fine the premium one ive bought for your info its - MILLERS XF FULLY SYNTHETIC E.C.O. 5w30 long life change oil at 7500 KLM
Hold the phone here, Are you saying 5 30 is recommended for d24tic?

I am currently running gulf racing 10w 40w fully synth and thought 10 40 was recommended?

Would a 5 30 grade allow sufficient viscosity cold for the hydraulic tappets? i am intrigued as some of the best of the best oil ranges come in 5-30

On Oils....

If money is no object i would always go for millers nanodrive range. (vw,audi, skoda team used) Rally car oil so made to take abuse. I ran it in my old alfa and it literally never used a drop of it ALL year. Not one top up with enthusiastic driving.
Its meant to have tech to burn off less like all synthetics so makes sense or it was a brilliant jtd engine... anyway i digress . It made for a very smooth engine and improved mpg/ power delivery so i liked it alot. But it is pricey pricey.

I use as my go to the gulf racing that is a little cheaper (but not too cheap for the aston race team ) but ester rich and about £50 for 5l. My brother likes it in his cars too and i Always run it in my 205 gti's so i can speak from experience with it.

Modern diesel vehicles with dpf systems etc can not deal with alot of these additives apparently so modern engines loose out. My old d5 had to take a lower grade millers for this reason with less additives.

This old engine can so use them to help you

Manufacturers spec is often a step backwards as its a safe minimum quality option beyond the basic starting spec. A factory recommended oil will likely have very little additional additives as its a playing it safe/ cost effective option. That said there is nothing wrong with oe oil if changed regular.

You still want to exceed it ideally in my opinion though because you can and it helps protect your engine/ increase drivability.

This may be rubbish as i never fact checked it but i was told they ran the fabia vrs rally car for a few minutes with the oil dropped using nanodrive. If that is true. That is exactly what you want, oil that is there when its not

I use a good oil supplier for all my cars and they keep me in the loop on the latest oils/ developments, i am only speaking from my own experience.

My 2p

Mick

Last edited by ukvolvo; 04-10-2021 at 09:39 PM.
Old 04-11-2021, 09:09 AM

Default good oil

i spoke to millers oils technical department they bought up my car reg and the oil i have is there premium grade oil ,
they list a cheaper TRIDENT spec 5w30 .but i went for there XF fully synthetic ECO long life 5W 30 .
there web site allows you to put your reg number in then see what come up
regards jim
Old 04-11-2021, 10:54 AM

Quote:
i spoke to millers oils technical department they bought up my car reg and the oil i have is there premium grade oil ,
they list a cheaper TRIDENT spec 5w30 .but i went for there XF fully synthetic ECO long life 5W 30 .
there web site allows you to put your reg number in then see what come up
regards jim
Right enough the site recommends it for mine too.

Opie recommend 10 40 on their site. Even with millers so i wonder where the truth lies on which is best

Mick
Old 04-12-2021, 09:47 AM

Default good oil

hi all
as im moving from a 10-40 oil to a 5 W30 OIL AND FROM SEMI SYNTHETIC TO A FULLY SYNTHETIC oil woud you recommend a oil engine flush i always replace my oil filter too ! but was hopeing a oil change woud be ok .
Old 04-15-2021, 12:03 PM

Quote:
hi all
as im moving from a 10-40 oil to a 5 W30 OIL AND FROM SEMI SYNTHETIC TO A FULLY SYNTHETIC oil woud you recommend a oil engine flush i always replace my oil filter too ! but was hopeing a oil change woud be ok .
I would so you give it as fresh a start as possible.

I may well be following suit soon myself as im changing Maggie's again and ive been advised by to try a really good flush. Maybe an hour running over recommended time. Apparently it can even cure tappet noise which i was very intrigued with as she sounds awful at the moment.