D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Old 09-15-2020, 02:58 AM

Vehicle: 740 GLE
Default Brand New '89 Polar 740 running online

Hi guys, as my name can suggest it, I'm an other french guy pursuing the volvo lifestyle.

Long story short; grew up in a car enthusiast family, I owned several pre-95 audi, mercedes and bmw while younger. 6 in-line was the rule.
At the age of 20, my friends and I bought a 740. It displayed a steady 560000Km (347970 miles), but with a good oil feeding it was still running as a Swiss watch.
We took the paint off, rusted the whole thing and drove around Europe, twice.
40 000Km (24855miles) later, across Europe, I would realise that she would be the best car I ever owned. I might show some pictures about that rusty beauty.

10 years of a pretty boring metropolitan life passed, and we are today.

Back in town -country, I needed a new car. Needless to say the 740 was on top of my consideration.

I just found this 1989 Volvo 740 GLE fitted by the usual stuff coming out the GLE pack.
The guy who sold me the car was a real volvo enthusiast, he told me that car was a polar pack, thanks to the lot of alloy, as well as the wheel. Plus the blue carpet laid in the car. What do you guys thinking?

https://ibb.co/BGt9Qf4
https://ibb.co/QdNVSBt
https://ibb.co/7kcBYGG
https://ibb.co/c8WJtzb

I will anyway open up a thread about that car. It came (I mean actually set up in the car) with a spare engine, an other D24T, from an other car.
But the guy gave me the original engine, with a total of 255000Km (158450miles). I will overhaul it and swap it back; an other thread will be open about that operation.
He also gave me the whole other 740 pieces' in spare parts, both mechanic and inside things.

Came here to share tips and knowledge, glad to enter the D24t community! Thanks guys for reading

Last edited by Camut; 09-15-2020 at 03:14 AM.
Old 09-15-2020, 07:35 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Welcome! Thanks for introducing yourself, sounds like you know these old cars well, it will be good to have you here.

That is a beautiful looking wagon, great condition, looks like someone must have taken very good care of it. The Polar trim is an unfamiliar one that we did not get here so it's interesting to see it. Looks like leather seats, power front windows, sunroof, alloy wheels? Very clean.

Is yours a D24TIC intercooled engine or regular D24T? Looking forward to reading and seeing more about your projects with the car as you continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camut View Post
6 in-line was the rule.
That's a good rule. Once you are used to the feel and smooth balance of the straight six layout, anything else feels like a sacrifice.
Old 09-15-2020, 11:14 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Nice find! Those were amazing looking cars, especially in the late eighties of Europe!!! And quite often they were just that color, sometimes the darker silver or maybe white or more rarely dark maroon red. Nice to have the dash blue too! Some rare examples had green dash in Europe, I`ve seen it once only.

Whoever painted the tailgate though was probably not a volvo person I was curious to see how much lower the emblems should go so I googled `polar volvo` and this link came up: a link where I see 4+ diesel volvos offered and one of them seems in French, is it in France? (3 red ones and a blue one, in the `similar vehicles` section below the one listed for sale. Interesting to see diesels offered..I usually do that out of curiosity to check on the odometer/mileage.
I thought they were super rare there (and in germany, switzerland etc) bc the diesels are chased out due to fuel emmission requirements of the EU.

https://www.reezocar.com/en/occasion...L28615572.html

Is it relatively expensive to register that car where you live? How much actually?

The French blue $600 car has 650000kms. That`s not bad.

Last edited by RedArrow; 09-15-2020 at 11:17 PM.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Welcome! Thanks for introducing yourself, sounds like you know these old cars well, it will be good to have you here.
Cheers man! Yeah I've read a bit of the forum, it seems like some of you guys are really in too. I will need some help as I'll be able to provide some; so I'm glad for the welcoming!

Quote:
That is a beautiful looking wagon, great condition, looks like someone must have taken very good care of it. The Polar trim is an unfamiliar one that we did not get here so it's interesting to see it. Looks like leather seats, power front windows, sunroof, alloy wheels? Very clean.
That's insane because the car was buy first in Spain by a stonemason who did use it to carry marble plate. That man definitely took an extra care about the car! For that reason the car also came with different (hydraulic adjustable i think) rear suspension. We'll discuss more about it into the car's thread.

The guy who sold me told me it was a Polar Pack, I can't assure it as I've never heard about this before, considering a '89 wagon. Otherwise you've got it right about the oncoming options.

Quote:
Is yours a D24TIC intercooled engine or regular D24T? Looking forward to reading and seeing more about your projects with the car as you continue.
That's a regular D24T. Less is more I guess.
Old 09-17-2020, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Nice find! Those were amazing looking cars, especially in the late eighties of Europe!!! And quite often they were just that color, sometimes the darker silver or maybe white or more rarely dark maroon red. Nice to have the dash blue too! Some rare examples had green dash in Europe, I`ve seen it once only.
Cheers buddy, never seen any green dash neither! Interesting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
Whoever painted the tailgate though was probably not a volvo person I was curious to see how much lower the emblems should go so I googled `polar volvo` and this link came up: a link where I see 4+ diesel volvos offered and one of them seems in French, is it in France? (3 red ones and a blue one, in the `similar vehicles` section below the one listed for sale. Interesting to see diesels offered..I usually do that out of curiosity to check on the odometer/mileage.
I thought they were super rare there (and in germany, switzerland etc) bc the diesels are chased out due to fuel emmission requirements of the EU.

https://www.reezocar.com/en/occasion...L28615572.html

Is it relatively expensive to register that car where you live? How much actually?

The French blue $600 car has 650000kms. That`s not bad.
What do you mean by the tailgate? It's the regular paint too. Therefore the car came with window film tint on the both rear back seat windows, back windows as well as the tailgate. Which is all in all pretty useful.

The link you're displaying shows a green french volvo, not a blue one. Plus they're only 940. That's an other reason why I'm suspicious about that "740 Polar Pack" as it doesn't seem to appear anywhere.

Finally, France used to be massively diesel friendly. Things changed and while there is less and less brand new diesel cars, a huge amount of them are still available on the second-hand market. Then, in France, emission taxes' applies on new vehicle, thus you don't pay them on a second-hand car. It costs me 360€ (426$) to register.