D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 12-31-2013, 09:58 AM

Default Oil psi

Hi I am new to the td24 engine. I have one in a 84 ford f150 I use for a work truck. I have 5w-30 oil in it. It seams to take some time to get oil pressure when cold. Like 10 seconds is this normal. When it's warm it's like one second.
I know cold oil flow slower but I was just looking for input
Old 01-01-2014, 10:46 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Pretty normal, some engines seem to take longer, others not. The oil pump has a very long and large-diameter pickup tube that takes a long time to fill if the oil pump loses its prime overnight, and some pumps seem to do this. My theory is that it happens because of wear in the pressure relief piston bore, but that's just one idea. Anyway, it's not a cause for serious alarm, fairly typical thing for these, and doesn't seem to affect the engine's lifespan.

If you keep the oil level filled up to the max, or actually even overfill it a bit, it usually lessens this syndrome a bit since the pump doesn't have to suck the oil up so far. Parking facing downhill improves it too, but that's not always possible...

What kind of 5W30 are you running? These engines do a lot better with synthetic oil in them -- 5W40 is a good choice. 5W30 OK if it's a *diesel-rated synthetic* and you're not running in hot weather. I find mine go through oil if I'm running hard in hot weather with 5W30 in the sump.

This is in an F-150?? Sounds like a cool rig, what kind of transmission does it have in it? How's your MPG?

Happy new year and welcome to the forum!
Old 01-02-2014, 12:54 PM

Yea it is a unique truck. The trans is t5 from a jeep. Dodge transfer case
It's ford axles and sheet metal. Don't know on the mileage yet on the way home I got 24 driving hard and pushing a 15-20 mph wind
I would have to check on the oil it's just the 5w-30 we have at the shop. I was thinking of adding an oil accumulator with a ball valve to pre lube the engine but that might be over kill
Old 01-04-2014, 12:15 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbadberg View Post
Yea it is a unique truck. The trans is t5 from a jeep. Dodge transfer case. It's ford axles and sheet metal.
Dang this sounds like a really cool truck! I've heard that the T-18 from a Ford (?) bolts to a D24/T with very little modifications. How well does the D24T move that '84 F-150?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbadberg View Post
I was thinking of adding an oil accumulator with a ball valve to pre lube the engine but that might be over kill
When I first got my Volvo I too noted the oil light being on for a few seconds after a cold start up. At that time I was thinking of using something like an Accusump oil accumulator to help with pre-start lubrication. 6 years and thousands of miles later I never did and the engine runs the same as it always has. Just something to consider.

1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Old 01-04-2014, 04:07 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
The oil pump has a very long and large-diameter pickup tube that takes a long time to fill if the oil pump loses its prime overnight, and some pumps seem to do this. My theory is that it happens because of wear in the pressure relief piston bore, but that's just one idea.
Isn't there an o-ring there where the oil pickup tube connects to the oil pump = possible leak?
Old 01-04-2014, 04:44 PM

Thanks for all the info. The truck was a cragslist find.
All the work was done before me but it is a very nice swap
The truck is a little under powered but its a extened cad
Long box 4x4. So its a lot of truck. It will do 70-75 up hill
But the ext temp is getting hot. It wasnt to 1250 but i think
It was in the 1100 s'. Its intercooled with a 6t22v turbo
And the pump is turned up
I will think on that oil pick up oring
I will try and put some pics of it on here
Old 01-04-2014, 05:07 PM
Supporting Member

The pickup tube has a paper gasket, it has two bolts with sheet metal locking tabs, it's unlikely that its pulling air there but anything is possible.

Sounds like pretty cool rig, the d24t must look tiny in the engine bay.
Shipments done on fridays!

1982 242 D24+T/M46- Super pumped! Build thread:
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1545
1984 764 D24T/ZF build thread: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1734
Diesel parts cars: 82 244,83 244, 84 244, 84 245, 85 745
Old 01-05-2014, 09:34 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anders View Post
The pickup tube has a paper gasket...
OK, my mistake, thanks for the correction!
Old 01-08-2014, 04:09 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

6t22v turbo, are you sure? You might mean a GT22V, which would be a VNT unit -- if that is the case I think a lot of us on here would be very interested in seeing pictures and more info on this setup! A few of us have talked from time to time about adapting a modern VNT to a D24T with an intercooler but I didn't think anyone had done it yet. Some photos and info on how it is being controlled on your truck would be very cool to see!

If it is able to push that heavy rig uphill at 75 mph, it must be making pretty good power -- not surprising if it has the turbo+IC setup that it sounds like it might have. Do you know what kind of adjustment has been done to the injection pump, like whether it's just been turned up or whether it has some kind of more serious modifications? In any case turning the fuel limiter screw (aka "smoke screw") out a little ways will probably help bring EGT under control, especially if you can see some visible smoke at WOT.

Re the oil pressure delay, I used to think that air leakage at the pickup-to-pump gasket might cause that symptom, but I have never taken apart one that was loose there, so I don't think that's it. A few of the oil pumps I have taken apart have had significant scoring on the relief piston and its bore. If the clearance there were to open up enough that air could pass easily, it would cause not just the pickup but part of the pump itself to fill with air, so that's the best guess I have about what might cause it in some motors. Unfortunately, those pumps I found scoring in all came off non-runner motors so I don't know what their behavior was. However, the relief piston is easily accessible on the front of the motor, so I guess it wouldn't be too hard to inspect on a car with the slow oil psi syndrome and compare to one that doesn't do it. Maybe will have to try that sometime -- not a perfect experiment but could be interesting.

In any case, this still doesn't ever seem to make a lot of difference in the engine's ultimate health, so I wouldn't give it too much thought. Just don't jump on the throttle until after the light goes out, or the turbo will hate you...
Old 01-10-2014, 04:34 PM

Yea i was looking with a scope. Its a variable geometry unit
It make boost with no engine load. Just speed the motor up
@ 2000rpm it makes around 7 psi even shifting i never get
Under 5 psi
I have one pic but just of the engine will get more soon
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (95.6 KB, 47 views)