D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 03-02-2021, 12:33 AM

Default advice on changing 5&6 glowplugs

hi all i have just about managed to change 5&6 glowplugs ive done it before but 5 years is a long time when you get to your later 60s i did remove inter cooler pipe and EGR bits and some leak off hoses at the back . no 5 was difficult but 6 i got it wrong and did not put the buzz bar screw on first i did not remove any injector pipes which made the job more diicult i did remove injection pump belt cover . i have plenty of basic spanners and a 12 mm onset ring spanner . have you guys got any advice on this task if i have to tackle it again ?
O im sure car runs better when cold now so the old ones must have been getting tired .
regards jim
Old 03-02-2021, 12:15 PM
Supporting Member

Get your mechanically-inclined grandson with flexible small fingers to crawl up on there and go to it!

Some like to lay a board over the engine and lay over it to work on it from the other side. Can give a better angle to reach in there.

Can also loosely bolt the bussbar to the GP and use the bussbar has a "handle" to guide the GP into the hole and tighten it in, then tighten the bussbar nut.

Have extra nuts on hand so when one drops into the never-never land (never to be found again) it doesn't end your day.

Main thing is to alter the position of the IP at the next IP timing session so it sits angled further out from the engine side, giving more room between it and the engine for better GP access.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:11 AM

Default 940 TIC auto 1995

thanks for the input NGOMA . i managed with a thick carpet over engine and was able to straddle the engine but had too keep coming up for air getting off the engine and going back on plenty of tea too next time they get done the injectors will be being replaced i hope so job for a diesel engineer .i have the original 6 in shed they need new nozzles and fully refurbished before they go back in if im still here and still driving my D24 hopefully.how many miles woud you drive before changing the injectors ?
Old 03-03-2021, 10:54 AM
Supporting Member

I probably wouldn't change them unless they start giving problems.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:30 PM

Vehicle: 1989 760 gle turbo diesel

When I did my glow plugs, I used the copper strip to hold glow plug 6 and than use that yo get it into the #6 glow plug hole. That used a wrench to slowly thread it on through the back of the engine. Take about 15 mins as to ensure not the cross thread it