D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 02-12-2021, 03:26 PM

Vehicle: 1990 Pinzgauer P90 6X6
Default Any d24t gurus in the Denver area?

Hey guys, so my pinzgauer is running and driving, my mechanic has checked and rechecked timing, pump adjustment, etc... It just doesn't run all that great. It runs good, but smokes quite a bit, especially on first start up and then while acceleration before the Turbo spools. But even cruising down the road, it's a little like a locomotive. LOL
Was hoping to find someone in the Denver area who's familiar with these engines would could troubleshoot and fine tune my engine. I do have the special fuel pump wrench also if that's needed. Thank you all in advance!
Old 02-13-2021, 07:22 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

From what I can recall at least, we don't have many current active members in the Rockies region. There used to be a member on here, Hecklebone, who lived in Denver and had a Pinzgauer TD that he did extensive work on. You may see his posts if you have read about other Pinzgauer projects. Tragically he passed away some years ago.

As far as D24T "guru" - Most of these engines that remain on the road are maintained by their enthusiast owners as a hobby, so there is not much room in market for professional mechanics to make money off them, after the investment in the tools etc. As a result it's not the type of thing where any given city will contain a guru versed in them who can be hired for repair work, although such folks are out there.

If you are looking to get it in the hands of someone with specific experience, your best option is probably going to be shipping it to either Anders in Washington State or Tom Bryant in Maine. It may sound crazy to do that rather than find someone closer, but it will get your rig running right with no further question marks, so it may be worth it to you.

Or another possible option that may be a little closer would be Jason Douglas, the original founder of this forum who to the best of my memory now runs a VW specialty shop in St Louis area and of course knows the D24T engine well.

Or, persuade one of them to come visit you in the Front Range. Tom as I recall has done things like that before.
Old 02-13-2021, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
From what I can recall at least, we don't have many current active members in the Rockies region. There used to be a member on here, Hecklebone, who lived in Denver and had a Pinzgauer TD that he did extensive work on. You may see his posts if you have read about other Pinzgauer projects. Tragically he passed away some years ago.

As far as D24T "guru" - Most of these engines that remain on the road are maintained by their enthusiast owners as a hobby, so there is not much room in market for professional mechanics to make money off them, after the investment in the tools etc. As a result it's not the type of thing where any given city will contain a guru versed in them who can be hired for repair work, although such folks are out there.

If you are looking to get it in the hands of someone with specific experience, your best option is probably going to be shipping it to either Anders in Washington State or Tom Bryant in Maine. It may sound crazy to do that rather than find someone closer, but it will get your rig running right with no further question marks, so it may be worth it to you.

Or another possible option that may be a little closer would be Jason Douglas, the original founder of this forum who to the best of my memory now runs a VW specialty shop in St Louis area and of course knows the D24T engine well.

Or, persuade one of them to come visit you in the Front Range. Tom as I recall has done things like that before.
Ah that's a bummer. I don't think I'm at the point of shipping it cross country or shipping someone in... But who knows what time will bring, I might plan a camping excursion that ends up in St Louis. That's not out of the question....
Old 02-14-2021, 10:51 AM
Supporting Member

You may want to try sending Jason a message or email and see if he would be able to help you at some point. Been a few years since he was last frequenting the discussions here, so can't say for sure whether he would be an option for you.

I also usually make it down to the front range a few times a year so may someday be able to try to help you or a mechanic you choose, time permitting, or at least loan some tools, if you can't find a better alternative.

Did you ever get the torque on that front crankshaft bolt checked using the correct method and equipment? Gentle reminder that you don't want to be driving it unless that has been done.
Old 02-15-2021, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
You may want to try sending Jason a message or email and see if he would be able to help you at some point. Been a few years since he was last frequenting the discussions here, so can't say for sure whether he would be an option for you.

I also usually make it down to the front range a few times a year so may someday be able to try to help you or a mechanic you choose, time permitting, or at least loan some tools, if you can't find a better alternative.

Did you ever get the torque on that front crankshaft bolt checked using the correct method and equipment? Gentle reminder that you don't want to be driving it unless that has been done.
Torqued and good!
I sent Jason a message, I'll see if he responds. In the meantime the Pinzgauer is getting wired for lithium batteries, inverter, shore power, etc.... So I'm not in a huge rush.
Old 02-15-2021, 03:53 PM
Supporting Member

Good to hear. Sounds like fun upgrades, feel free throw some photos up here sometime for us to see the progress, we always enjoy checking out the Pinz and LT trucks that give some variety from the Volvos.