D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-26-2012, 03:00 PM

Default Deleted my rear muffler...

At some point in my 740td's history, a Bosal muffler was installed on the back of the car. I'm pretty sure this is a muffler for a gasoline car; it's quite restrictive. Last week, the spout on the back of the muffler- which was quite rusty to begin with- fell off. So I cut the exhaust pipe just before the muffler and welded a straight pipe to the back of the car.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]334[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]335[/ATTACH]

This only took a few minutes and I'm really happy with the results. The center muffler is still there, so the noise is really no higher than it was before at idle or at cruising RPM's. But around 2500rpm, it has a much deeper, more throaty sound.
In addition, it seems like there's less backpressure on the engine- I can coast so much farther now.

I also fixed a leaky vent line on the fuel filler which was causing diesel to spill in large quantities every time I filled up. And I replaced the heat shield on the #1 injector, which was leaking pretty badly as it was only finger-tight!

Despite having all of these issues, I averaged 25.4 mpg on B10 with city traffic and a heavy foot. I can't wait to fill up again because I can only imagine it improving with these repairs...

Visit my blog!