D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!

Old 01-28-2020, 10:51 PM

Vehicle: 1989 760 gle turbo diesel
Default 1989 volvo 760 d24tic stopped running

My Volvo was towed and when I went to retrieve it from the yard it ran and then it just died. Any idea of the best way to get it back running?

I have previously had all of its maintenance done timing belt,rear injection pump belt the pump was rebuilt by Giles to the performance spec. Giles also rebuild all of my injectors.

I replaced all of the glow plugs and the glow plug fuse. After it stopped running.

I need help getting it run in you guys are the only help I got.
Old 01-29-2020, 08:40 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Sounds like no fun, sorry to hear. Give us a little more info and we'll help as best we can.

You said it ran after you picked it up from a tow yard, but then it died. When it died, what exactly happened? Just shut down suddenly with no warning, like if you had switched off the key? Or stumbled, smoked, lost power, then died, as a more gradual progression? Any unusual noises, smells, leaks, dashboard warning lamps, high temperature gauge readings, etc when it happened?

Did it die while stopped and idling, or while driving normally down the road, or in the midst of a full power WOT acceleration? Any other special circumstances?

How was it running in the minutes before it quit? Like normal? Or any clues of trouble?

When you tried to restart it after it died, what did it do then? And what does it do now? Cranks but doesn't catch? Or does it not crank at all?

If it cranks, does it act like it's trying to start, make any smoke out of the exhaust, etc? Or not seem like it's even close to firing?

When you did the timing belt (or had it done?), what tools and methods were used? In particular what technique, equipment, and torque spec were used to install the front crankshaft bolt?

How much fuel is in the tank? Engine fluids (oil, coolant) all normal level, color, condition, smell?
Old 01-29-2020, 08:09 PM
Supporting Member

Here is some systematic help from our forum Stickeys:

Died while running, will not restart

and

Hard Starting
Old 01-29-2020, 10:55 PM

When I picked it up from the tow yard it started up fine as soon as I drove it out it just sputtered out as if it lost fueling. The car was recently in the shop and get got given a clean bill of health but then as soon as it was told it somehow lost its ability to start after that. It turns over, all the belts are in working order.

The car ran in the yard a drove it like 100 feet just till it got out of there yard and it died. It was running normal before it died. Just like always did.

The car cranks over strong, I have tried to bleed the fuel lines and would get fuel coming out but it isnt firing.

When it cranks theres bo s.oke outthe back. As if itdonest have full prime I'm thinking.

When the timing belt was done, I made sure the shop knew what to do and had the right tools. I read d24t.com before i took it to a shop.

I do believe there about a 1/4 to 1/2 a tank of diesel. All oil and coolent is okay no leaks or mixing.

My guess is while it was towed it leaped back into the tank and the pump lost Prime. From what I've read on the forms it's pretty hard to Prime this pump.
Old 01-30-2020, 11:56 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn117 View Post
The car cranks over strong, I have tried to bleed the fuel lines and would get fuel coming out but it isnt firing.
Where did you get fuel coming out? The injector hardlines?

Can you watch for bubbles in the IP clear fuel supply tubing while cranking?

When was the last time you changed the fuel filter?

What color smoke?

Are the GPs operating? Even one bad GP can cause hard starting. I've seen 2 bad GPs cause impossible starting, even in mild weather.

Quote:
From what I've read on the forms it's pretty hard to Prime this pump.
Yes, can take a long time of cranking. Keep the battery charged, and don't overheat the starter motor. Best to cycle 10 sec. crank, 20 sec. rest, etc.
Old 01-30-2020, 06:31 PM

The fuel was coming out of the injector lines, I bled them all, starting from the furthest one from the pump first.

I dont think that my car has a clear fuel line on my d24tic.the car was imported to canada form italy.

The fuel filter was changed when it was in the shop. I could change it out for a new one.

There hasn't been much smoke out the tail pipe while cranking, I think there alot of air in the lines or pump
Old 02-02-2020, 08:59 PM
Supporting Member

From early on, post #4:
Quote:
It turns over, all the belts are in working order.
Old 02-03-2020, 10:02 AM

First off. I just wanted to say I appreciate all the help. I'm going to take all the advice that you you are all giving me and put it into action. I'm going to start with just pulling the battery get it on a charger get it warm. So that's something I don't have to worry about. And then I guess I'm going to read bleed the system. I do have the timing tools. But I will need to get a new dial indicator due to it not being able to have the thread adapter for the length. It's needed to read it properly. The car ran before it was towed. I wonder if that played a factor in it losing Prime. Due to the car being running and driving. I don't think that it would be so drastic. As it skip timing, but it is a fair point and I will check in.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:57 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
From early on, post #4:
Quote:
It turns over, all the belts are in working order.
Sorry, I guess I missed seeing that. That is the timing belts we are referring to? Or the accessory belts?

Foghorn117 that plan sounds like a pretty good one. But one reason I was suggesting looking at timing next, is I thought you guys already determined that you had gotten plenty of fuel out of the hard fuel lines to the injectors. If you had fuel running out of those unions, then everything is primed.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:18 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
When I picked it up from the tow yard it started up fine as soon as I drove it out it just sputtered out as if it lost fueling....
...The car ran in the yard a drove it like 100 feet just till it got out of there yard and it died. It was running normal before it died. Just like always did.
That is not how the car would behave if a vandal had sabotaged the timing.

Are you unable to follow the steps given in the two stickies I listed above?