D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 05-14-2023, 08:10 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Hmm. I wonder if the greenbook gives it? Otherwise no idea here, at least. Maybe a good fastener supplier could figure it out with measurements. I certainly would think it is a pretty irregular size. A die to match it would probably only have one job to ever do -- cleaning up D24/T crankshaft bolts -- and I would not be surprised if it were expensive....

What about a wire wheel on a bench grinder? I would not think the threads would suffer from that as long as you kept them parallel to the motion of the wheel and didn't go too nuts, no?
Old 05-15-2023, 09:33 AM
Supporting Member

Try heat. It should sizzle right off. Heat gun? Propane torch?
Old 05-15-2023, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Vehicle: 1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
Hmm. I wonder if the greenbook gives it? Otherwise no idea here, at least. Maybe a good fastener supplier could figure it out with measurements. I certainly would think it is a pretty irregular size. A die to match it would probably only have one job to ever do -- cleaning up D24/T crankshaft bolts -- and I would not be surprised if it were expensive....

What about a wire wheel on a bench grinder? I would not think the threads would suffer from that as long as you kept them parallel to the motion of the wheel and didn't go too nuts, no?
Yeah my thoughts were a die and a corresponding tap for the crankshaft snout. The snout is pretty gummed up and I really want an accurate torque rating.

I actually do not own a wire wheel on a bench grinder. But I do have a few wire wheels that mount into a drill. Perhaps I can try that. This epoxy stuff is very hard, like using a pick I really have to bare down on it to get the epoxy to chip off.

1985 Volvo 740 GLE turbo diesel
Old 05-15-2023, 02:12 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Try heat. It should sizzle right off. Heat gun? Propane torch?
Hey there's an idea! I'll need to dig out the propane bottle and nozzle. If I can find them I'll give it a try, thanks!

Old 05-15-2023, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Going over my notes I plan to buy a new timing belt idler pulley. If I determine the existing pulley and its bearing are in good shape I'll keep the new one as a spare. The Greenbook says to use special tool 5202. I do not have this tool. In its place would a standard 3-jaw pulley puller work?

Thanks.

Old 05-15-2023, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
So maybe worth replacing that gear while it's off the motor already. They are inexpensive to buy new and pretty widely available, usually not found under D24T application but they were used on many other gas/diesel 5cyl VW Audi etc. VW P/N 069 105 263.

Here BrickWerks has it for 20 GBP and they might have other things you'll need as well?https://brickwerks.co.uk/product/cra...t4-5-cylinder/
George, you've come through again! Using your link I was able to find the VW part number for the 27mm crankshaft bolt: N 010 143 2. From there I Googled for that and another site popped up listing the external thread size: M18 x 1,5!

https://www.autodoc.co.uk/car-parts/oem/n0101432

Naturally Amazon has a wide variety of taps and dies. Yay!

Old 05-18-2023, 08:13 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Nice! Good find on that P/N for the crank bolt, that's one we will have to save. Looks like you could even just buy a new one for pretty cheap as long as you were willing to wait for shipping from UK or elsewhere overseas. I see now that it crosses over to Febi/Bilstein 17230 which seems widely available, used on various other gas and diesel VW/Audi engines, I suppose that's no surprise.

I wrote a detailed reply about the idler puller but didn't submit quick enough and it didn't post. I'll fill in more info later but for now I'll just leave this link...... this tool or anything similar to it is the answer.

https://www.amazon.com/Adjustable-Be.../dp/B089M99K71

Note that this particular design's adjustable width arms are the key to success. The one I have as a subsitute for Volvo 9995202 is exactly like this one that I linked here but it came from Harbor Freight years ago. However HF appears to no longer sell this style puller and the revised style puller they carry instead now (and commonly seen elsewhere) is a fixed-width design that probably would not work since the arms might not be wide enough to clear the OD of the idler pulley. So stick with one that looks like the Amazon listing above, avoid those that have a fixed U-shaped frame.

To do the job, you remove the inner "puller" parts from this puller and then use the outer frame in combination with a correct size/length metric bolt from the hardware store and some stacked washers to replicate the design of the 5202 puller. As you screw the bolt into the threaded inside of the idler pulley, it pulls the idler out of the engine like 5202 does. As a bonus if you keep the rest of the puller parts you removed in your toolbox, you also get a free universal pilot bearing puller out of the deal. Always nice to have tools that have multiple uses.
Old 05-19-2023, 02:22 PM
Administrator

Sorry to hear about the lost post George. Those can be quite painful! I have a few items to order from Amazon so I'll add that puller to the list. Thanks for that!

I've been working on a strategy for building the glow plug relay harness. I recently found a few spools of wiring, I believe them to be 22 gauge. I managed to snake one of them into the plastic connector insulator. It fits pretty well.

However if I were to go the route of crimping on a new connector then I'll need to source those. I'll Google around and see if I can get some of them ... not sure how possible that is. Or if I should just go to a junkyard and get something there. Though my concern is buying something that will deteriorate away like what I am using now.

Last edited by jbg; 05-19-2023 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Spell check!
Old 05-20-2023, 10:03 AM
Supporting Member

Is the "keeping factory original" aesthetic important to you? If not, why not cut out a (highly water resistant) Delphi type connector out of a GM vehicle in the JY? Choose similar number of wires and gauge and splice it in.

The biodegradable Bosch wiring was only prevalent on Volvos, Mercedes, and (maybe?) Saab mid-late 80s to early 90s.
Old 05-20-2023, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Hey ngoma,

Good question. No I'm not too hung up on originality, but I do need the 4-terminal connector as it plugs into the glow plug relay. I am wanting to replace the 4 wires but reuse the connector for that reason. There is a salvage yard about 10 or so miles form my house that I'll try this coming week.

Thanks.