D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Performance and aftermarket

Old 04-14-2020, 01:09 PM

Vehicle: 1989 760 gle turbo diesel
Default In-line fuel pump

Does anyone have any luck adding ome to there d24t? I'm looking to add one, but have it wired right, and it's looking like I'd need a new oil pressure switch with 3 prongs. Any suggestions.?
Old 04-14-2020, 01:25 PM
Supporting Member

Used one temporarily to help prime the system on a newly transplanted engine that had been sitting for years. Mallory low-pressure. Didn't need anything like an oil pressure switch with 3 prongs. It was a simple 2 wire hookup.

Do not use a high pressure fuel pump. 3-5 psi should be ok.
Old 04-15-2020, 11:34 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foghorn117 View Post
Does anyone have any luck adding ome to there d24t?
When you say "any luck" what are you asking? If we have had any luck installing one and making it work on a D24T? Or if we have had any luck having it fix a problem? If so, what problem?? What specific goal would you be looking to achieve by doing this?

We need more information on what you're dealing with in order to properly answer the question you are REALLY asking, which obviously (from your other thread) is, "how can I get my car to run again?"

Hint: an electric fuel pump might help, but it also might make no difference at all and be a waste of your time and money. It all depends on what the real problem is. First use an organized diagnostic process to rule out the possibilities and find the issue, THEN replace or add parts to fix it. Trying to do it the other way around doesn't work well. In fact throwing parts at a problem will often introduce new variables and issues that make the original problem HARDER to find and solve.

Same as when you go to the doctor. They don't just start giving you whatever random medicines they have sitting around, and hope something accidentally heals you along the way. They want to do some tests, follow the symptoms, get the background information, cut through the noise, figure out the root issue, and determine the right treatment, and then go ahead with it. When you are working with any kind of complex mechanical system, you have to approach it the same way.

If the reason the fuel pump won't prime is because of an air leak or a mechanical fault, then adding a lift pump might help get it running temporarily, or band-aid various problems with a tired or leaky IP, but it won't be the long term fix. And the absence of an aftermarket electric inline pump is DEFINITELY NOT the reason your running car suddenly stalled with its brand new Giles pump. We CAN help you figure it out without taking another unrelated detour on the diagnostic path with the electric pump idea. But you have to help us help you, if you want results. I'm going to keep beating the drum on this.

But if you are simply asking "can an electric pump be added" theoretically, unrelated to your issue of your car not wanting to run , then yes of course it can.