D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 11-26-2019, 05:03 AM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Pictures

New engine mount
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191126-085853.jpg (7.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Capture+_2019-11-26-09-00-29.jpg (10.3 KB, 7 views)
Old 11-26-2019, 05:47 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Good question. I think it may be just the way these cars are built that turns those mounts into regular wear items. They are common for needing replacement on the gas cars also, not just the diesels. The ones that wear out the fastest always seem to be the driver's side engine mount, since it is the one that gets pulled on when the engine is producing torque. The transmission mounts seem to suffer also if they get soaked from an oil or fuel leak.

At any rate, the motor mounts in these old Volvos have been known for frequent failure for a long time so I would imagine it's not an issue of low quality parts and more of an effect of the basic design itself. They are part of the Volvo safety concept, where the engine and transmission are intended to break free in an accident and slide back underneath the car rather than into the passenger cabin. The soft rubber and shear style mounting needed to achieve that seems to have the side effect of a short service lifespan for the parts. At least the mounts are not expensive or hard to replace.
Old 11-26-2019, 06:09 PM

Default Engine mount (left), and tranny mount

Thanks for your logic answers.

The new left side engine mount looked deformed right after installation yesterday. Same as the other new mount did appr 5y ago....
Yest I noticed that something pulls the unit towards the rear... So...today I added a new m46 tranny mount and that seems to compensate a little. If the tranny mount was 1cm or appr half an inch thicker, it would i think align the drivers side engine mount perfectly by "pushing" the tranny-engine combo towards the front a little.
I cant complain... Im glad the mounts are in...i am already noticing an easier deal when reverse is needed.
And once or twice car "threw out the 2nd gear" lately. And the laycock 5th disengaged regularly when passing through uneven road surfaces (common in nyc). Im hoping that will go away completely.

But now the shifter visibly vibrates more than earlier.
Possibly due to the new mounts being "solid/tight"...i think the engine vibes get transferred into the cabin...i mean, to the shifter. Esp when I accelerate and the engine moves/tilts. BTW the motor runs smooth and great so there is no internal imbalance whatsoever and it isnt cold. Video link will be added soon. BTW i think that this made in india left side mount is too soft of a material.
I am kind of not believing that my pass side mount is going bad or went bad. I will look and inspect though (testdrive first
I never liked changing more than one thing at a time because then it is sometimes harder to compare and to notice results (of how it runs).
The tranny mount was not in terrible condition, installed in Summer of 2012. But it was deformed and "hard", with a chip in it, thinner than the new one.

(The left side engine mount is seen on the right in the 3rd picture)

Here's the yt link to see the shifter. I did gentle revs to illustrate.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture+_2019-11-26-21-56-39.jpg (20.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg Capture+_2019-11-26-21-57-38.jpg (26.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Capture+_2019-11-26-21-58-17.jpg (21.2 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20191129-235636.jpg (19.6 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 11-29-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-13-2020, 11:40 AM

Default POLYURETHANE VERSION of left side engine mounts and/or tranny mount.

Is there a polyurethane version of these diesel engine mounts?

I dont`t like it that it looks so deformed right after the installation (left). The aftermarket version must be a cheapo quality and is probably too soft for this application (excessive weight and the engine `tilt`. It could use a mount that has harder rubber, i think. Or some kind of a support on the side of the rubber `cupcake`.

I feel like buying the expensive Volvo left side engine mount, the original version, but not sure that would cure this issue. Any suggestions?

I have this issue that my shifter inside the cabin moves around way too much at idle while my tranny mount is brand new and the right side engine mount looks new, no deformities visible there. (Yes, the idle is correct and the engine runs very smoothly.)

It must be that this (also new) left side engine mount is way too soft.

My tranny mount is also kind of softer than what I expected it to be, but maybe I could try a poly bushing there too, if available. Ideas?

The driver`s side engine mount I currently have in the car is this:
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/vol...iesels#fitment
I think it was made in India.

The engine mount was replaced first and immediately it looked crooked.
But there was not much vibration at my shifter. After I put in the tranny mount, shifter started going `all around` and it is visibly noticeable that something is going on.
Like one of these mounts is too soft.
I have this idea that bc the tranny mount is too hard or too new, the push that the unit sent forward added an extra angle and pressure on the left side engine mount that was already not coping with the weight of the engine.

Weird. Or maybe the tranny mount is too soft and lets the engine-tranny combo shake around as one, while the left side engine rubber lets this happen, being now the weakest link of the `chain`.

I feel like there must be a middle ground solution somewhere to delete this returning problem.
The left side mount usually fails within 2 yrs max.
I`m going to replace now the 1/2 y old left side mount again to see if that helps some.
the engine mount shouldn`t have weakened so many times so prematurely. I have literally brand new standard bilstein shocks again and the wagon runs on new tires which never been overinflated. No offroad use, no racing no abuse (except nyc roads aren`t the smoothest).

Maybe time has come to replace the right side engine mount no matter what... to see if it helps. (?)
I actually have no information whether or not the right side engine mount had ever been replaced. I`ve had this brick for eight years now and wondering how long normally the right side mounts last?
(IF the passenger side mount is overly `hardened` by age or contamination or heat or the combination of those, then I would understand why the driver`s side mount takes&suffers more of the `pressure`- can it look very okay but still* be in bad condition??)

Any poly mounts ever available? also, again, is the oem left side mount somewhat stronger?

(Tip for those replacing the tranny mount:
I could have had an easier time putting it in. Next time I will cut off 1cm (about half an inch) of the threads on each side of the tranny mount.)

Last edited by RedArrow; 05-13-2020 at 06:29 PM. Reason: added a question
Old 05-14-2020, 01:12 PM
Supporting Member

Yes. Here you go:

https://yoshifab.com/store/volvo-rwd...mount-set.html

https://www.classicswede.co.uk/240_P..._12566100.aspx

http://www.retroturbo.com/?product=2...t#!prettyPhoto

You will likely find even more options with some of your own general web searching.
Old 06-12-2020, 11:56 AM
Supporting Member

Default POLYURETHANE VERSION of left side engine mounts and/or tranny mount.

RedArrow which one did you decide on? How is it holding up?
Old 06-16-2020, 10:21 PM

Default weird shaking of the d24t motor and shifter in cabin esp at idle

Sorry for the late replies, I`m having tons of dieselbricking going on these days...
To answer your question,
I decided to use the cheaper quality mount (the one that is made in India) and will probably call it a day for some time.

The excessive vibration of the shifter and the engine itself too, was actually not caused by a bad or too soft of a motor mount.
I thought the mount was bad quality but instead it was my injector on the 2nd cylinder that caused the shaking I had since a few weeks ago.

I figured it out on a long trip Sunday, after driving the first 100 highway miles, it started knocking bad. The familiar injector went bad sign/noise... Only at certain (lower) RPMS though, so bc i was on the highway I decided to keep going, after some major visual checkups of everything else (I had another 120 to drive) and I made it there NP through huge uphill sections of mountainous PA.

The next day I reinstalled my old worn one and it ran great immediately after (I have been storing properly all of my 6 old injectors near the spare wheel for months after 2of6 GTDs went wrong LOL so that was worth it).

Due to this vibration issue I installed a new tranny mount and redid the engine mount again so that`s the positive outcome of the bad injector story.
Happy bricking everyone!

As much as I love the idea of a structurally and chemically more stable mount, I think the poly mount would provide a new feel to the car, maybe too harsh and hard ...and I wouldnt like it. It would prob feel like an overinflated set of tires which i hate. Really bad roads in NY, too.

Also, my crossmember has some typical cracks on both sides so I do need some rubbery mount cushioning until that gets fixed or swapped out one day.

Last edited by RedArrow; 06-16-2020 at 10:24 PM.