D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 08-24-2019, 07:47 AM

Vehicle: Lt31
Default Boost question

Boost question..

So I finally installed a boost gauge.
And it reads in BARR.
if I put it under a full load it goes up to about .95 bar and then it drops to .6 or .7.
If I’m driving along at 3000 RPM with half throttle it’s showing about .6 bar

Going up a hill with full throttle add to 3200 RPM it’s about .6 bar.
Maybe .65.
If I go up a hill at a slightly higher RPM say 3600 RPM then it’s .7 bar.

Any thoughts?
I’m not sure what normal is for this engine/turbo.
I think it’s a little abnormal that it would go up to .95 and then drop to six or seven.
Seems like the unloading valve is opening.
I’m not sure if that is the right specification or not.
Would appreciate any insight or feedback.
Thanks
Old 08-24-2019, 09:29 AM
Supporting Member

Not sure the European spec but the US spec is 70-77 kPa (10 - 11 psi) charge pressure @ 3000 rpm full load, very close to what you are reporting.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:23 PM

OK thanks
So much can I increase it without risking the head gasket?
Also when it goes up to 1 and then drops down..I’m guessing that the pressure relief valve on the intake manifold is opening…
Would you know what the spec is for that?
Old 08-24-2019, 06:39 PM
Supporting Member

20 - 25 psi with a good head gasket and studs. An intercooler would help there, almost necessary.

http://www2.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1635, you will find more with some searching.

Don't have gate specs.
Old 08-25-2019, 12:39 AM

If I have original head gasket how much boost do you think is safe??
Old 08-26-2019, 04:33 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Stock boost pressure of the D24TIC engines was around 13-14psi (IIRC) on the same head gasket as the non IC TD motors, and there should have been some engineering safety margin in that state of tune, so you would be good at least up to there and a little beyond, IF everything is in good condition.

However there are a lot of variables that go into your questions so the answer might not be that simple. It is hard to say exactly what pressure is "safe" -- depending on some of these factors you might be able to run quite a large boost pressure increase without having issues with the HG, or, the headgasket might not survive almost any boost pressure increase at all.

For head gasket integrity the real question you are asking is not how much intake manifold boost pressure you can run. The critical qustion is what peak cylinder combustion pressure and temperature you can run. Boost pressure does play a large role in determining peak combustion pressure, but it is also affected by:
- injected fuel quantity
- injection timing
- valve timing
- fuel cetane rating
- injector condition and opening pressure
- intake air temperature
- exhaust backpressure
- etc, etc, etc.

And, how much pressure the HG can withstand is also affected by the age and condition of the stock head gasket and the rest of the engine. If it has a stock head gasket and bolts but the gasket is in like-new condition and installed in an engine with a perfectly flat cylinder head that has never gotten hot, then the stock setup can handle a lot of pressure and power. BUT if the engine has already been overheated a few times and has a 30 year old fiber head gasket in it, then it might already be on borrowed time.

Sorry that is a long answer to a short question, but that's how it goes when you are trying to find the limits of something like this. Every situation is different and the only way to really know what you can get away with is by installing gauges to monitor all the relevant values and seeing what the engine does.

I think the intake manifold boost pressure relief valve is set for 1-2 psi above wastegate pressure. From what you saw on the gauge it might be popping open. But it also could be a sticky wastegate valve or a leaking boost signal hose on the turbo. I would suggest checking those things and try increasing the spring preload on the pressure relief valve (flathead screwdriver in the end of it, turn clockwise to increase pressure) and see if it changes anything.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
Old 08-26-2019, 05:21 PM
Supporting Member

Great info here from forum member v8volvo. I just want to reinforce this important yet often overlooked point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
If it has a stock head gasket and bolts but the gasket is in like-new condition and installed in an engine with a perfectly flat cylinder head that has never gotten hot, then the stock setup can handle a lot of pressure and power. BUT if the engine has already been overheated a few times and has a 30 year old fiber head gasket in it, then it might already be on borrowed time.
Judging from your simple question you may not have been thinking about taking this into consideration.

Tags
boost, boost gauge, pressure release, turbo, unloading valve