D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2023, 01:32 PM

Vehicle: 1982 Volvo 240 GL

I was watching the video that DieselScout made and posted in here and he removed it. I think that was only because he was shipping it off to be resealed so I guess I actually don't need to do that step. My engine hasn't been fired up in like a decade so there are no visible leaks. Only way to find out would probably be after I get it running. I believe I have collected all the tools to do the timing. I got the Cam pulley holder, Injector line wrench, Timing indicator and adapter. Only tool I'm missing is 5201 but I'm hoping I can bend a wrench into shape for that lol.
Old 01-12-2023, 02:54 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

http://volvoturbodiesel.blogspot.com...ols-tools.html

Don`t loose the little washer/seal when you open up the IP head at the center between delivery valves/hard fuel pipes.

Before you start, keep everything perfectly clean, blow off dust, dirt, oil, flush with brake cleaner as necessary (dont let any of those chemicals get in touch with coolant hoses,rubber,plastic) no dirt should be able to get in! Cover the ends of pipes too, safely cover/rubber cap the holes (IF you remove fuel pipes). If any debris/dirt/foreign material gets in, it can reach the sensitive internals of your IP & injectors.

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-12-2023 at 03:30 PM.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:30 PM

Yea I saw that little plug in the video I watched, definitely made a mental not not to lose that. I'll clean the area nicely before starting in that case. I don't necessarily have to remove the fuel pipes right? Would you recommend resealing the IP if it's unknown that it leaks? Also I'm having trouble finding the post about doing the timing without using stop 5193, could anyone link that?
Old 01-12-2023, 05:25 PM

Also just remembered that I should replace all the front belts as well so I'm assuming I need even more special tools...
Old 01-13-2023, 06:36 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvolvoboy View Post
My engine hasn't been fired up in like a decade so there are no visible leaks. Only way to find out would probably be after I get it running.
Yup pretty much.

Quote:
I believe I have collected all the tools to do the timing. I got the Cam pulley holder, Injector line wrench, Timing indicator and adapter. Only tool I'm missing is 5201 but I'm hoping I can bend a wrench into shape for that lol.
Don't need the injector line wrench for setting the timing, unless you want to reclock the IP rotated further outward from the engine to make changing glowplugs #5 and 6 easier later on.

The preferred IP timing method does not rotate the IP. Instead you rotate the loosened rear camshaft pulley while it is still connected to the IP pulley via the rear belt.

Not too hard to bend a long combination wrench for the rear camshaft pulley bolt. Hot flame helps. Clearance is pretty tight up against the 240 firewall. In a 740 you can get away with a regular combination wrench as there is more space between the firewall and the rear of the engine.

Quote:
I don't necessarily have to remove the fuel pipes right?
No, not for timing the IP. And no need to loosen them if you are not rotating the IP body.

Quote:
Would you recommend resealing the IP if it's unknown that it leaks?
No I am not a fan of that. Are there stains or gumminess running down form anywhere?

Quote:
Also just remembered that I should replace all the front belts as well so I'm assuming I need even more special tools...
Yes, the crank bolt socket lever 5188 and crank pulley hold tools 5187, and camshaft lock plate 5190.
Old 01-14-2023, 10:01 AM

Quote:
so I'm assuming I need even more special tools...
Bigvolvoboi, here's another discounted goodie for ya! to safely handle the super-sensitive hard fuel pipes. The 2597 Hazet comes handy to avoid damage to the pipes, also reaches the seemingly unreachable nuts especially at the horrible pipe-junction at the inj pump delivery valves. Great tool!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/18572872511...temCondition=4

Sorry, got sold 3minutes after my post. I am not the Seller BTW.

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-14-2023 at 11:04 AM.
Old 01-14-2023, 05:03 PM

Hey, I was the one that snagged the item instantly lol. I bought that wrench new for 85 but ima just go ahead and return it and keep the used one. Appreciate the find!
Old 01-14-2023, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
The preferred IP timing method does not rotate the IP. Instead you rotate the loosened rear camshaft pulley while it is still connected to the IP pulley via the rear belt.

The method you are describing is the same as this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5Fb...index=3&t=219s correct? Just skipping the part where he entirely removes the pump. Just have to reseat the IP making sure that it lines up with the marking. Then loosen the rear camshaft pulley and do the timing procedure by rotating that pulley which then rotates the IP but not the cam? I hope that makes sense but lmk if it doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Yes, the crank bolt socket lever 5188 and crank pulley hold tools 5187, and camshaft lock plate 5190.
Any idea where I can find these mystical tools? I've been looking on eBay daily and trying to find any shops around me that could have them. The PO of the 240 gave me a handmade version of the 5188 that I could potentially use.
Old 01-14-2023, 08:11 PM

Default camshaft alignment tool

That camshaft rear plate 5190 tool is widely available but here is a good example:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/27501872350...temCondition=4

Crank holder: I saw the tool (in his original Eb/\y listing pictures) that the previous owner fabricated and it looked 'about right'.

The other holder tool, you could try to find it on the German version of eB/\y (.de), certain rare tools show up there more often than on the us market. Good luck --and read a lot of Greenbook!

Check these pictures. THIS, was a very good, VERY RARE deal, as you can see they sometimes do show up! https://volvoforums.com/forum/market/111265

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-14-2023 at 08:31 PM.
Old 01-14-2023, 09:46 PM

Ah so there's an easy alternative to 5190 as a VW tool. I'll go ahead and buy that then, 1/3 acquired. I got the VW adapter for the IP and 95mm is way smaller than I expected but I believe it should still work like ngoma said.

I've been reading the Greenbook just to get a better understanding of the engine and especially the timing procedure. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the German markets and might as well check others like the .uk site. If I saw a motherload listing like that I'd be so hyped up, that is a truly beautiful sight. I'm getting closer and closer to finishing my big Volvo tool tower just to make my engine run lol. My dad tried to convince me to just try starting it but I don't want to risk the timing being off or belts snapping.