D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 12-28-2022, 03:35 PM

Vehicle: 1982 Volvo 240 GL
Default D24 or D24T

Hey, I recently had the opportunity to purchase a 1982 245 which is mostly a parts car because the interior is destroyed and majority of the body has rotted out (can nearly stick your feet through the floor). The wagon has a running D24 (280k miles) paired with a M46 transmission. It also came with a D24T which has been passed through 2 people before me and no one has really worked on it so its in unknown condition. Anyways, I am trying to resurrect my 1982 244 GL which currently doesn't run due to it sitting for a long time and I wanted to ask if should rebuilt the D24T and throw it into the 244. Are there any serious differences between the two engines (besides the turbo lol). I'm just sitting on 3 engines and seeking some advice on what I should do. The smartest solution would be swap in the running engine but I wonder what you guys think. Thanks. (Sorry kind of a random post I went from having a non running D24 in search for a lot of parts and now I have two additional engines haha.
Old 12-28-2022, 04:20 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvolvoboy View Post
Are there any serious differences between the two engines (besides the turbo lol).
D24T has piston squirters, and maybe (not sure?) different block alloy? Also different injector nozzles. Different oil pan? Bigger radiator?

Quote:
I'm just sitting on 3 engines and seeking some advice on what I should do. The smartest solution would be swap in the running engine but I wonder what you guys think.
Depends on your objectives. Do you need running wheels immediately or want more of a long-range hobby-type project?

Middle of the road plan could be to take the best condition one (guessing it's one of your N/A?) and transplant the turbo parts to it.
Old 12-28-2022, 08:40 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Nothing beats a parts car for keeping an old vehicle going without breaking the bank. If the price is fair and you have a place to keep it, you will almost surely be glad to have the parts car in your possession!

D24T swap into a 244 is not difficult and gives a very nice boost in performance. As ngoma points out, adding turbo parts to a D24 is also a viable way to get some or most of those performance gains, albeit with the question of long term durability if the engine sees consistent use of the full power of the turbo. A +T on an otherwise healthy engine would probably survive a long time in relatively gentle terrain and in the hands of a conservative driver understanding the limits. Frequent hard driving in mountain territory or hot weather might be more risky, mainly due to the absence of piston cooling oil squirters in the NA block and some different materials. But with a good running NA engine as well as a turbo motor that you could rebuild or scrounge +T parts from, you could create whatever solution matches your usage best.

Either way it sounds like this would give you additional options for getting the 244 on the road, if you can make the practical aspects work.
Old 01-02-2023, 06:41 PM

Appreciate the input, I think I'm gonna do a bunch of research on these engines and how to rebuild one (considering I'm a lost 18 yr old that's never touched a diesel engine). Then pop open the D24T once the weather is better and if it's not too far gone I'll rebuild it and put it in the 244. If not I have the smooth running D24 to swap in and do the +T mods you were talking about.
Old 01-03-2023, 11:38 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
I think I'm gonna do a bunch of research on these engines and how to rebuild one (considering I'm a lost 18 yr old that's never touched a diesel engine).
My suggestion is to find a local mentor, someone conveniently located with a proven track record in engine rebuilding (doesn't necessarily need to be diesel)(but a VW diesel veteran would be best ) that is willing to coach you along the process. Many steps in this process really need an experienced eye.

Maybe.

What is your background?
Old 01-04-2023, 09:36 PM

Hey, I've called around and no one's really experienced with diesels besides semi trucks which I guess would fit. None of them seemed interested in helping me out haha, I might actually go into the shops and ask as a last resort. I don't really want to just hand off the engine I would like to learn how its done. I've got some experience working on old BMWs because I flip them with my brother but other than that not much, especially not with rebuilding an engine.

From reading the green bible and watching/reading online it does seem pretty difficult to rebuild this engine especially the fuel injection and some parts requiring special tools. I feel like I should still be able to do everything right as long as I get the appropriate tools and do the necessary research or am I just setting myself up for failure? You can be brutally honest.
Old 01-04-2023, 09:44 PM

Also forgot to ask, could you provide me with all the special tools I will need and/or substitutes for them if there is any. I saw the post here about them and I'm assuming all the belt and injector tools are necessary. Only one I was able to find was 5199 cam shaft locking tool for around $100 shipped which seems a little outrageous.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:12 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

The special d24-d24t tools (and some vw diesel tools too) are getting extremely rare, hard to find and are often quite expensive. (more rare than the diesel cars themselves )
Having the d24 tools will give you the chance and option, to fix the car and keep it running very well while `regular` mechanics who often charge 100-140/hr do not know ANY damn thing about these, I`d say 95% of the mechanics do Not even have a clue not to mention the special tools that are absolutely necessary. A few hundred or more dollars are not expensive in this case...!!.. because the result will be a good runner vehicle that is fun to drive and trustworthy, with relatively low maintenance needs. They run really well and for 100s of th of miles with the proper care by a knowledgable owner who also doesnt abuse them much except occasional Italian tune-ups, right?

Fixing up or reconditioning the d24 can be challenging, it is, ...it requires THE tools (specific to THIS engine family) and some diesel knowledge. These are German engines, fine built, precise, reliable, they are old but not primitive, the unit doesnt like tinkering or risk-taker mechanics who don`t have the tools but they "try to put on a belt" etc... bad idea to even sart without the tools but you shouldnt be scared by this. Eventually your own d24 toolbox will appear as you add tools to it. Start by crank holder, the pulley holder, the timing tools, valve tools, etc. You`ll get there and the forum will help you. I think there`s a tool rental option too.

There is a tools list section on the forum, you can read details there.

May I ask what is wrong with the car you bought in NY? What did you do as an initial checkup? The person who put it together really took his time assembling it. Too bad I didnt visit him to help fixing the sedan because Im in Nyc and could have helped him some or more. I even put bids on the car a few times but gave up on the idea bc I was too busy and space is limited here...city life. But I could have helped you too before you trailered it to Chicago (?), I wish you signed up just a little sooner, like before you picked the car up.
So, what`s the plans for the engine that was in the car? Any way to confirm the internals, the timing, the compression, valves, fuel sys etc and try to not give up on it running soon? I read you found other engines and one of them turbo I guess?
If I were you, I would try hard to get the unit running and keeping it reliable before looking at engine swaps that certainly require more than just setting stuff up.
That sedan had an episode of overheat and received a new head etc so I doubt it would be worthless to give it a chance, or two. Did you find Harry`s posts about when he tried to get it assembled and posted often about his progress? That Volvo originally was a very low mile car, it just sat long yrs in his garage..

I hope you dont mind I asked.

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-04-2023 at 10:36 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:47 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
From reading the green bible and watching/reading online it does seem pretty difficult to rebuild this engine especially the fuel injection and some parts requiring special tools. I feel like I should still be able to do everything right as long as I get the appropriate tools and do the necessary research or am I just setting myself up for failure? You can be brutally honest.
"Rebuild this engine" means different things to different people.

Define what you mean. Complete overhaul from top to bottom? Or maybe competent troubleshooting/testing and repair/replacement of defective/worn components? Or maybe teardown, repaint, and reassemble?

What tools do you currently have in your work area?

What skills have you acquired in your BMW flipping experiences?
Old 01-07-2023, 01:33 PM

It's slowly hitting me how rare these tools really are lol. I was able to get the 5199 cam shaft locking tool for just 90 bucks but am having trouble finding more. I'm going to try to acquire everything you mentioned and anything else that's in that special tools section. I gave it some thought and you're definitely right I haven't even tried getting the engine going in Harry's car and that's just bogus for the amount of work he put in. I saw how much he talked about his progress in the forum. He told me that it's probably the fuel or timing because he's checked everything else. I can't really do too much without the tools so I guess I'll keep searching but I will put off the D24T and maybe do a +T mod on the current engine, I'll decide when the time comes. Most important thing should be to actually get the car moving reliably. Also sucks because I got accepted into this forum on my way back from NY would be awesome for someone really experienced to take a look.