D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Classifieds > Items Wanted

Old 12-19-2022, 08:32 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Steering lower shaft

Looking for a steering lower (intermediate) shaft for my 740/760..
a shaft with joints in good condition.
This is the shaft that connects the steering rack with the upper steering shaft.

This item is not d24-specific, any 740/760 can donate the part, maybe even some 900 series cars too? IDK.

1359711 is the volvo part number. It is item 2&3 in the diagram.

Recently I noticed a slight knock, grind, click, a play in steering wheel/shaft/rod ....then I tracked it down to the lower shaft being worn out. I removed the item and inspected it, the joints are worn and sloppy. It reached a point now where the unit clicks at every turn of the wheel, the final kick must have happened to it when it took me hrs to bleed my rack with the engine not running. ---internals of my PS pump were not assembled the right way but that time I did not know about it and kept bleeding the system by turning wheel L to R for a long time--without servo

I also have 449000miles on the clock and it might be the original shaft (?).
I had to reinstall it as is because I haven`t yet found this item for sale anywhere.

One of the joints itself is available to buy but not the lower shaft.

Another ski-trip tomorrow, my plan was to hit 3 junkyards in PA that used to be good to find some volvo parts...but I went online then it turns out none of them have any 700/900 cars, at all, so I posted here, maybe one of you have a lower mile parts-car that has it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shaft joint etc.jpg (10.2 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 12-19-2022 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-26-2022, 01:33 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Mine did this in my gray 745 starting at about 300k. I was amazed how much noise and clatter it would cause. I remember I had to replace with a good used one as well because I couldn't find new at a reasonable price, and like you said, the shaft seems to not be rebuildable (at least not without reinventing the wheel). I think someone used to sell the shaft complete (IPD) but for big bucks. But this was probably 10 years ago that I had to do mine so who knows now.

7 and 9 series cars are definitely getting less common in junkyards. I assume you probably already looked at ebay?

Otherwise I'm guessing TurboBricks (which is currently down unfortunately) or a Facebook group might turn someone up with a parts car they could pull one off of? I have a 760 parts car sitting outside but unfortunately I don't think I'd be ready to get rid of the steering components yet because I have to move it around sometimes and steering helps for that..... plus it's buried in a snow drift at the moment anyway. :P