D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Suspension and Brakes

Old 01-08-2022, 08:37 AM

Vehicle: Volvo 240
Default Volvo 245 1984 girling calipers front and rear?

Just took a look at my calipers and both look like girlings and have the locking pins that girlings have.

Can all the calipers be girlings?
Old 01-08-2022, 09:00 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Before giving a reply I will state a couple of caveats -- personally I have limited experience of the 240 series and also your Finland market cars could be different from our US spec models in terms of brakes and other details. Someone else may be able to add more info with better knowledge.

That said -- on the 700/900 series which I am more familiar with, ALL the caliper types use the locking pins to secure the brake pads (At least on the rears I think, maybe front too? can't remember at the moment). The ATE, Bendix, and Girling calipers are all similar basic design with only minor detail differences. So just because they use the locking pins doesn't necessarily mean they have to be Girling calipers. You need to look at other details and measurements to know for sure.

Do you have any of the Volvo green manuals for your car? The "greenbooks" as they are called here in US? Those may be extremely helpful to you. They will help you identify what type of brake calipers you have and would probably also assist with details about the wheel bearing sizes you asked about in another post.

Welcome to the board!
Old 01-08-2022, 09:26 AM

I have no books for this car.

I am planning on taking the calipers apart and repacing the seals and cleaning the rust off.

I know a book would be really helpful.

Do seal kits for ATE fit girling?
Old 01-08-2022, 11:26 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo1975 View Post
Do seal kits for ATE fit girling?
I have no idea. But I would guess probably not?

Again, no doubt the factory literature (or even non-factory good literature like a Haynes or Bentley manual) would be of major help in figuring out what you have and what you need.

Rather than going into the project blind, it would really be smart to get hands on that kind of info. The factory greenbooks are out there online in many places as .pdf format -- you will find them if you search. The ones I have seen are all in English but that seems to be no issue for you.

Alternatively the Haynes and Bentley manuals for the 240 are commonly found for very little money on ebay used. So are paper hardcopies of the factory manuals. Probably available in whatever language you wish.

The Bentley manual in particular is renowned for being easy to use. The 240 is the only Volvo model Bentley ever published a manual for unfortunately, but they also do manuals for VW/Audi/Porsche cars and those are excellent, I can say from firsthand experience. Arguably the Bentley book could easier to use than the factory Volvo manuals since it is all one large volume covering the entire car, rather than broken up into subject sections like the Volvo greenbooks, where you have to chase down the particular section you need. The downside with the Bentley though is that it is published in the US and only covers US 240 models 1983 onward I believe and only gasoline powered models at that. So no diesel engine information whatsoever, and if your 240 is 1982 or older, OR if the European market version you have used different brakes than the US cars (no clue on that), then it may not be completely useful or could give incorrect info that sends you the wrong direction. Just a word of caution on those. Otherwise the Bentley manuals seem to be much beloved among the 240 series owners though.
Old 01-08-2022, 02:32 PM

Thanks for bothering to reply.

I will look at the books at some point. The pdfs might be what I want to do for now because English really isn't an issue for me but the bearing size thing still makes me very uncertain on what to buy and I don't know if the book would say anything about different bearings being on sale.

I guess I will have to measure the bearings myself but I'm in no hurry because I want the car to be ready for the summer.

I have been working on my car past midnight again to get it in good shape. The car is in way better condition than when I bought it.
Old 01-09-2022, 09:13 AM
Supporting Member

Try posting your question on turbobricks.com.

They are 240-centric there and a large population of active posters.

Tags
volvo 245