D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Classifieds > Items Wanted

Old 09-13-2021, 06:37 PM

Vehicle: 1983 Volvo 245
Default ISO: Timing Tool Rental/Service in Ontario, Canada

New-ish member here. Sorry I didn't introduce myself, actually made my account a few months ago, just avoided posting anything because I wasn't sure I was even going to be keeping the engine in my 245.

Anyway, I'm trying to get my hands on some tools to change the belts on my motor. Would also be interested in any place that can service it for me, if you can get me a referral. I'm located in Mississauga, outside of Toronto. My car's not plated or insured, and a fuel pump leak keeps it in the garage.

Send help.
Old 09-14-2021, 03:20 PM
Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum!

Look in the classifieds section, there's a tool rental thread there.

Leaking fuel pump? The injection pump? If it's the IP take care to protect the coolant hoses directly underneath from the leaking fuel. It will degrade the hoses and you don't want them to blow later and overheat the engine.
Old 09-14-2021, 05:00 PM

Vehicle: 1983 Volvo 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Welcome to the forum!

Look in the classifieds section, there's a tool rental thread there.
Thanks! I'll be sure to have a look. So far having a hard time coming up with tools local-ish, although not being able to move the car is about 50% of my issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
Leaking fuel pump? The injection pump? If it's the IP take care to protect the coolant hoses directly underneath from the leaking fuel. It will degrade the hoses and you don't want them to blow later and overheat the engine.
Hoses are already well and truly soaked. I have some spares included with the car.
Old 09-16-2021, 08:35 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatcatbestcat View Post
So far having a hard time coming up with tools local-ish, although not being able to move the car is about 50% of my issue.
Getting this stuff locally is a hang-up for a lot of people. The key is to realize these cars are antiques now. Very practical antiques, perfectly viable for daily real world use, but still antiques. The local garage down the street likely will not have a single person working there who has ever seen one before. They are unlike a 5-year-old F150 or Accord where you can just assume needed parts/tools/knowledge will be readily on hand in any given location.

In this situation you just have to be ready to expand your horizons to a few hundred miles away. The whole car came from a long distance from you, right? The tools might have to as well.

That guy David in Ontario almost surely would be able to share some tools and know-how.

Welcome!