D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 01-07-2023, 05:13 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Injector POP TESTER that works with the d24 injectors (old vw idi diesel)

May I ask, what kind of injector pop tester do you have, or what injector tester are you using?
Can you (or anyone) refer me to one that works with our d24/d24t injectors? There are many available on eB@y but the desired Bosch versions cost hundreds of dollars.

Maybe this?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/28290010482...&segname=11051

It does not have the most ideal range on the gauge (our injectors pop open in between ranges of around 1700-2400). The best would be to have one where the gauge is calibrated from 0-3000psi for easier fine-tuning. The one I linked goes up to 9000psi.

But, would this work? I cant judge just by looking at the pictures. What are you using to test yours?

What is the size and thread pitch at the top of the d24/d24t injector?
Isn`t it 12mm x 1.5? THX

What about the other end of the fuel hard pipes that connect to the d24 injection pump at the delivery valves? What`s the size there, I have no idea...

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-07-2023 at 05:23 PM.
Old 01-08-2023, 03:55 PM
Supporting Member

I have an old well-used Bosch tester purchased 2007-ish from a local VW/Eurocar repair shop that apparently had little use for it anymore.

InjTester.JPG

Nameplate.JPG

Needs a new fuel reservoir as it has become gummy down at the threads and does not seal well. Hopefully still available (thru NAPA?).

That eBay one you linked is a great price but some of those have plastic(!) bodies which would not hold up. You would have to ask them.

Also the 8,000 PSI gauge would be useless as the scale graduations would be too large, so you would have to replace that with something with finer gradations. A larger dial face is easier to use also.

The pipe looks suspiciously similar to the injector lines on our engines.

These old Bosch injectors were widespread among several automakers, Mercedes, VW, Peugeot, GM, Nissan, Yanmar, (maybe) Cummins, so there is a wealth of info out there if you look out beyond just Volvo D24 which makes up a small percentage of the sheer numbers of applications.

For example:

https://mercedessource.com/store/die...do-it-yourself

http://www.peachparts.com/shopforum/...op-tester.html
Old 01-08-2023, 08:57 PM

Default Bosch injector tester for the vw idi injectors

I would love to know whether or not the cheapo version can handle 30-40 injectors or even just one set before failing somewhere along the route.

Maybe it would function for a while but I definitely prefer a keeper device instead of a HF-style one-time use product.

Maybe someone here on this forum have used such cheaper (above mentioned ebay pop tester) versions before?

Thank you to anyone who could share about what exactly they use(d).

Thank you Ngoma for the quick reply and thoughtful search for the informative links. I will have a lot to read tomorrow.. I already read on one of those sites that some diy guys had real challenges building (and using) them, even an accident had happened...

Hopefully it is a matter of time until a tester like yours shows up somewhere for sale for a reasonable price.

Your tester looks really good, that is exactly what I was looking for when I searched for one made by Bosch.

When I find the tool, I will be on the hunt for the little shims that adjust the pressures..
I'm glad I saw Mr Bergsma's site does have 2 sizes available offered in 8-packs because I was not able to locate shims for sale anywhere, maybe I did not search at the right places.

Another question for later would be whether or not to use any sealant/sealing 'tape' for the threads of the injector halves. Some injectors I took apart did have a long strip of some substance similar to teflon tape or like the ones plumbers use for gas leaks. I will research this to see if I should use them or not...

I think this might be the container you will need to refresh the trusty retro tool:

https://www.google.com/search?q=bosc...27562213404282

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-08-2023 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Adding info and details
Old 01-09-2023, 12:11 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
...whether or not to use any sealant/sealing 'tape' for the threads of the injector halves.
NO.

Never any sealant or tape or any other substance on the injector half threads. The mating surfaces have been precision ground; they achieve a good seal when mated to the correct torque. If it leaks there the mating surfaces are damaged, scratched, pitted, dirty, or not torqued to 51 lb-ft.
Old 01-09-2023, 12:55 PM
Supporting Member

Thanks for the link to the replacement fuel reservoirs. I like that they have upgraded to polypropylene. That seems a better material than the old (styrene?) ones that would eventually craze, crack, and get gummy.

Here's a good pop tester candidate for you. Checks the important boxes: aluminum body, nice gauge (huge dial!) with fine gradations in the correct range, free shipping.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/353814970320
Old 01-10-2023, 01:53 PM

Default Finally I can recheck my injectors and select the ones that are not acceptable.

Thank you very much for sending me the link to a better tester!
(All those late night hours of seaching but I never came across any testers with the large 6" gauge and not one with the much preferred 0-200 gauge face.)

The tester will arrive by the first days of February and I will be able to report then whether or not it was a match to our injector thread pitch (on top).
I will not use anything on the threads when I assemble the injectors.

Some of my injectors (built with the 297-nozzle) had eventually damaged themselves internally (not lately but during the past 1-3 yrs, intermittently), it was the spring base that disintegrated btw...TBC..

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-10-2023 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-11-2023, 01:29 PM
Supporting Member

Looks like a great pop tester for your needs.

Here are photos of the 4" face gauge on my OG Bosch tester:

P1040490.JPG

P1040491.JPG

I like to use a spare injector hardline from a D24(T) because the 90deg. turn helpfully aims the injector spray down into the catch can.
Old 01-11-2023, 04:59 PM

Exclamation size and range available VS size and range wanted

I happily placed my order when you sent me the link 2 days ago... but the seller already contacted me with some bad news:

He says
that the 6` dial gauge is not available currently,
and the gauge I would receive would also be in a different range
(0-400....6000psi) than what I originally wanted (0-200...3000psi).

This is annoying news because I really wanted the kit to be as practical as possible. That 0-200 range would be just perfect. He says I can choose a full refund or he will send me the kit with the "0-400.. 6000psi" gauge version and with the 4" gauge.

I wrote him I will be okay waiting until he finds one with the features according to his original listing (6"face, 0-200 range). He will let me know in a few days...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230111-205049.jpg (7.7 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230111-205523.jpg (6.3 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-11-2023 at 05:20 PM.