D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2023, 01:37 PM

Vehicle: 1982 Volvo 240 GL

I was honestly thinking a complete teardown but that might get me in over my head. I'm going to shift my focus on getting the correct tools and let the D24T continue sleeping for now. I have everything to work on cars (jacks, ratchets, wrenches, etc.) just not the special tools. My experience with BMW flipping was basically just doing regular maintenance like replacing belts, pulleys, water pumps, and whatever else to make the car run reliably and suspension if it needed it. Never rebuilt an engine in any shape or form so it would be entirely new to me.
Old 01-08-2023, 11:03 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvolvoboy View Post
I was honestly thinking a complete teardown but that might get me in over my head.
In fact, why do a complete teardown if it is not needed? In our experience, the bottom end of these engines are stout and relatively trouble-free, rarely requiring overhaul.

Have you done a compression test?
Old 01-08-2023, 05:24 PM

Oh well in that case it's probably unnecessary. It's been stupidly cold and the snow hasn't helped so I haven't done much. I have to do majority of the work outside because I don't have a garage or shop and my friend's shop is completely full atm. I also discovered that there's water leaking into the car all over the fuses and driver side carpet. Read that it could be leaking windshield seal or the drains ima make sure to clear all that out and test if the seal is good. Overall just waiting for the weather to get better. I'll make sure to do a compression test and let you know the results.
Old 01-08-2023, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Unfortunately sitting is never a good thing even if the car was in a garage. The windshield leak is a possibility but also check on the vent holes on the left side of the clutch pedal.. On my car this area got glued up and fully blocked. maybe it leaked? idk. I like that option as 4th pedal bc in the summer it feels good to have air circulating down there....

Don't trust the numbers of a compression test unless factory spec clearances were achieved first by a fresh valve adjustment.
Step by step, try to check and double check everything. Do you have the Greenbook for the d24?

It`s a 1982, do you have sunroof? Check things around all of the holes in the firewall where wires and `hoses` go through grommets. I would also clean out, flush and gently blow air thru the sunroof drains.. and then, if possible, try to park the car on level ground if possible and keep checking. Pick carpets out, all of them, fully, I am sure there must be some real damage there bc PO had a very steep driveway and that doesnt help with drainage. I also noticed in his pictures that the entire right side door panel was visibly very moldy. Signs of water entering the cabin, I am sure you want to check all of that out sooner or later. That dark blue striped rare interior deserves the best care possible. Rare, comfy, stylish. Our 1978 244 had that, everyone loved it, a true favourite in the 240s.

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-08-2023 at 07:58 PM.
Old 01-09-2023, 10:44 AM

I read about all the possible leaks and I'm definitely going to remove the seats and pull up the carpet just to double check everything. Read that there are foam pads under the carpet that like to hold water as well. It has a sunroof and I'm 80% sure its because the drain is clogged for it but the crank handle gear is broken so waiting for that to come from Sweden lol. PO gave me the green bible and I guess I'll just go step by step to check everything before starting. I'm assuming the only tools I really need now is that dogleg 17mm wrench which I guess I could make from a normal cheap 17mm wrench by heating up and bending it? Also all the timing stuff (gauges and adapters) which I have been looking for on eBay and locally. Also the mold on the right side door panel looks a lot worse in that picture than it really is I already cleaned that up for the most part but I wanna go through and do a thorough cleaning to avoid further musty smell and damage. I just really hope there isn't serious rust under the carpets. The dark blue striped interior is a true beauty and deserves to be cleaned up and preserved. The exterior is rusting in a few spots but its only surface so that doesn't really need immediate attention. I'm falling in love with the car but its gonna take a lot of work to get it where I want it to be.
Old 01-09-2023, 11:42 AM

Would this gauge do the job?
https://www.ebay.com/itm/39421081048...xoChRwQAvD_BwE
Old 01-09-2023, 12:14 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigvolvoboy View Post
Would this gauge do the job?
Seems OK, except the extender does not look long enough to clear the vacuum pump, so to use this gauge need to remove the vacuum pump.