Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-03-2023, 03:09 PM

Vehicle: volvo 740 GLE tdic sw

Perfect! Thanks a lot for your answer.

Best regards!

Mauricio.
Old 01-04-2023, 10:42 AM

Hi! Thanks a lot for your detailed answer. I like the collaborative spirit of this forum. I bought the 2574-1 that is missing and also a 2599, following the indications of the posts dedicated to this topic. I bought also a Hazet 4560 indicated on the forum, that in fact looks identical to the 2597 you suggest. This seems strange for me: it appears that hazet produces the same tool with dofferent codes, isn't? Anyway, once one knows that they are equivalent, it doesn't matter

I think that the 2745 could be a useful tool because it eliminates the lateral moment that one makes when pulling on the handle of a lever.

Fortunately I left the injection belt cover loose thinking about access to the sixth injector. Still, my fingers are big and clumsy and my fear is that I won't be able to put the new glowplug in place. But I'm going to dare in a few days. I've bought a set of 11" grippers in order to "extend" my fingers.

It is not my vehicle for daily use and that sometimes makes me not give priority to this. Best regards and a big thank for your time
Old 01-04-2023, 07:08 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Tools for the fuel system and valves.

Glad it worked out well and I'm happy to share useful info when I can!

I think it was a good decision to buy the other two tools as well.

The multi-bend 17mm Hazet injector tool is a huge help... and much safer to use than using a regular wrench that always seemed super hard or nearly impossible to fit on&around the hard fuel pipes due to very limited space (especially* at the front of the injection pump!).
If done in a certain order (don't ask, I can't remember , the handy Hazet tool can gently do and undo all of them.

(The different part numbers for the same Hazet tools maybe have to do with the Germany/West-Germany thing (?), I am not sure. )

I have used both versions before and I would say that the 2597 one worked slightly better, I preferred it over the other because it is slightly less chubby/chunky/thick at the open end (it fit better around the 'nut'). Both versions worked well though.

The valve tool is also a nice catch, great to have when you need to get those shims from underneath the camshaft safely. When I needed one, it took me months to find one... I have the Volvo version and the Hazet one too, both work fine there too. They do what they need to do. I have to confess I like the Hazet version better due to its size and bc the handles are made with a larger `curve`. The Volvo tool I have had been used a LOT and the tips need some `sharpening` , I guess.
(Another version of the tool is made for VW by MATRA, part number T10005.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauricio View Post
I think that the 2745 could be a useful tool because it eliminates the lateral moment that one makes when pulling on the handle of a lever.
YES, since I have bought that Mercedes tool, I use it every time. It works well, I use it (gently) on injector pipes and it comes handy at some of the hard-to-reach IP joints (delivery valves), too. It's another Hazet tool with multiple part numbers , often found as a Hazet 4550-1 (W-Germany )
https://www.amazon.com/Hazet-4550-1-.../dp/B001C9VBBU

Joy to have the proper tools when you work on your precious, high-mileage, survivor rarity car, isn`t it?! Wrong tools do more damage than good- this seems extremely true around the d24 engines .

One other thing comes to my mind, please make sure you follow the torque specifications when you work around the injectors (inj into head, with special care where the weak pipes meet the injectors).

Do you already have the Volvo Greenbook Manual series for your car/year/model? Nice to know that these cars still exist in Uruguay, welcome to the d24t forum! Share some pictures when you have the time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hazet 4550-1.jpg (14.9 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg vw_matra_t10005.jpg (57.4 KB, 2 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 01-04-2023 at 07:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2023, 05:43 PM

Hi RedArrow,

Thanks a lot for your explanations. I've the "revue technique automobile" (in french), which is a shop handbook for official services in France. Is not very explicit about procedures for a non professional like me. But it has all the torque specifications.

For replacing the timing belt, I used also the YT tutorials of Michaelovitch: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASWilxt8tz4 (in french also) but once I understood that the injection pump was not at the correct time, the tutorial that really helped me was that of Adam Holland (in english): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWyhxPM9TOE

These D24 volvo's are very rare here and the TDIC versions even more. This SW was imported by myself and honestly I don't know anyone who has the right tools to get the job done. So I decided to do all the maintenance by myself, because no one is going to buy tools to service only my car. If they try to improvise, it's going to be a bad job. I've also an old beetle and for this car there is a lot of competent people that can fix it, because it was here a very popular car. I've other old cars on different stages of conservation but the only one I repair by my hands is this volvo. I like so much this SW to risk an improper repair. I promise, I'lll search photos of my trip to Patagonia in this volvo in 2013, which was also my tent Those photos must be sleeping somewhere on some hard drive...

All the best for you!