D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Old 12-16-2022, 06:37 PM

Vehicle: 740
Default New member 85 740 turbodiesel

Hi,thanks for the add.i have a 740,have been buying parts and having it checked over to get it running.currently not getting fuel to the injectors.the car had lost its prime before when my friend owned it.my mechanic has volvo diesel experience,and reccomends a injection pump rebuild.i am located in vt,is there any injection pump rebuilders or resourses in my area?
Old 12-16-2022, 09:00 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Tom in Maine

One of your best options if you really think your pump needs a pro to rebuild it..

https://thosbryant.wordpress.com/201...-pump-re-seal/

but what makes you sure that the pump needs a rebuild?

Can you try a low pressure electric tiny fuel pump ($6) installed before the diesel filter and try it that way (or have you)?

Last edited by RedArrow; 12-16-2022 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-31-2022, 04:16 PM

Vehicle: 740

Thank you so much,i did not see a notification for this post.still working towards a solution and enjoying the process.i got the car from a good friend that had been having it lose prime,after it sat in storage a while it developed a crank no start symptom .my mechanic got fuel thru the ip but was not able to get fuel at the injectors.taking time to evaluate and make a plan to bring it back to running condition.for sure a timing belt service,valve adjustment,and potentially some work on the fuel system.looking foreward to posting more,learni g,and catching up with fellow enthusiasts.
Old 01-01-2023, 10:36 AM
Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey740 View Post
...had been having it lose prime,after it sat in storage a while it developed a crank no start symptom .my mechanic got fuel thru the ip but was not able to get fuel at the injectors...
After a "lost prime" event, it can take a long long time cranking the engine to get liquid fuel out thru the injectors. Requires a strong battery on charger, and cranking attempts 10 sec. on, 20 sec. rest, 10 sec. on, 20 sec. rest, so as to not burn out the starter. Could take several minutes.

Read this for more info:
https://d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1225