D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 PM

Default What to look for in a used D24T

I've located a 760 Turbo Diesel in a local salvage yard and am considering getting the engine/transmission to put in a 240.

Edit: I've decided that a 7/9-series car would be a better car to convert. See posts below.

The car looks to be well taken care of, especially for its age, and I'm wondering if the engine may be usable as-is, or would be with some work.

As an initial test, I took a large ratchet and socket out and was able to turn the engine over by hand. I could feel a compression stroke ever 60-degrees or so and all of them felt more-or-less the same. I realize this isn't a substitute for a proper compression test, but at least it verified that it has compression. Of course, it still had its timing belt on it.

Does anyone have any other tips to get an idea of the engine's condition? If I bought it from the yard, I could get a warranty and return it if something is too far gone.

Also, from my understanding, the M46 bellhousings are different from a 240 to a 760, but it sounds possible to use the the D24T bellhousing in a 240 and to my way of thinking, the less canted engine mounting would be preferable and would afford a better fit with a turbo. I know some motor mount work may be required.

If I get the 760 M46, I could convert the cable clutch over to hydraulic and swap out the shifter cage for the right one.

I've got a lot of experience with gas Volvos, but other than owning a '78 Rabbit diesel when I was in college, I'm sort of out of my element with diesels.

Thanks!

I also know where there is a complete '82 240 that I could get parts from. I just need to know what to get from each car to put the D24T in a 240.

Thanks!