D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 08-09-2021, 02:05 PM

Vehicle: Volvo 945 D24TIC
Default Can't gas with injection pump

My engine starts easy and runs good at idling. But nothing happens when i try to gas. The engine has sit for a few years. Could it be algae in the injection pump or what could be wrong?
Old 08-09-2021, 04:41 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

I would guess that is correct, something is stuck in the injection pump due to extended sitting.

Be CAREFUL: if it is currently stuck in the idling position, then if you do manage to get it to free up and move, it could also stick in a different position where the engine runs at higher rpm or even tries to run away! I would recommend you be ready to stop the engine somehow in case this happens. Here are good methods for that (sometimes switching off the key alone doesn't do the job):

- Remove air inlet at turbocharger (BEFORE starting engine) and keep a correct size block of wood handy to clamp on the front of the turbo and choke the engine
- Be ready to cut the fuel inlet line between filter and injection pump with a sharp razor
- If automatic transmission: find and be ready to use the manual shutoff lever on the side of the pump, though note that in some runaway conditions this will not work
- If manual transmission: stall engine by dumping clutch in a high gear

Keep these tricks in mind anytime you run the car, as you can destroy the engine and/or transmission and/or get injured yourself if it runs away.

For fixing it: I have had good luck filling the injection pump with automatic transmission fluid then let it sit for a few days to dissolve and loosen old fuel that is jamming internal parts. Can fill the fuel filter with ATF then take the filter inlet line and the pump return line and run them both to a gallon jug with more ATF, then run the engine on that for several minutes until well circulated, then shut off and leave it sit till the next week. It may be magically be cured after this treatment -- I have seen it happen. Remember to keep the fuel filter in the loop when doing this -- don't run it directly off the jug of ATF without the filter in line, as then the pump will be unprotected.

Good luck and let us know how it goes. Welcome to the forum!
Old 08-10-2021, 10:44 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoilf View Post
My engine starts easy and runs good at idling.
That is very good! Easy starting can indicate good compression.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octoilf View Post
But nothing happens when i try to gas.
How are you doing it? Accelerator pedal? Can you see the throttle lever on top of the IP actually moving? Is it connected tightly to the throttle shaft?
Old 08-10-2021, 11:27 AM

Default 940 tic auto 1995

can it be hex throttle bar fell off bearing mount mine did that once easy fix ,but also swop it round as the nylon female joint will fit tighter .better on the vertical joint if you get me you cannot accerate with out it !
Old 08-12-2021, 03:05 AM

Vehicle: Volvo 945 D24TIC

The engine is lifted out from vehicle. It's a non turbo from a Volvo 240 if someone wonders.
I changed fuel filter and put a primer pump from a boat fuel tank and squeezed the primer to spare the starter.
It did work after some treatment with some ATF oil and diesel additive mixed in the diesel and running on idling for a while.

Was sitting for like 15 years. First it did not start. I did check all glow plugs and cleaned all ground and plus contacts then it started within 5 seconds. I'm surprised how easily it did start and run.
Old 08-12-2021, 11:56 AM
Supporting Member

Engine out of vehicle-- got it.

1. Verify throttle lever is rotating the throttle control shaft that enters the top cover of the IP.

2. Rotating the throttle shaft produces absolutely no change at all in RPM or engine sound, correct?

3. Has anyone changed or readjusted the throttle lever? How about the smoke screw?