D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Suspension and Brakes

Old 06-21-2022, 11:42 AM

Default rear springs and shock absorbers

hi all
i have the nivomat self living dampers on my 945 tic auto 1995 , one has started leaking ,so at a cost of £600 each here in UK i have bit the bullett and changed
over to a standard set up which is heavy duty springs and weaker shock absorbers , i got both pairs for £244. so a hell of a lot cheaper , but the job was bit of a task as ive never done them ,the top fixing for the springs is very rusted and the rubber mount which fits inside the springs need replacing as they have a flat steel washer built into the rubber mount which is badly rusted so ive orders replacements , at a cost of £53 , i believe this is the same set up on the 700 series cars ,so has any one had experience of doing this change over .in USA?
Old 06-23-2022, 11:08 PM

Vehicle: 1990 Volvo 940 TD & 1989 Volvo 760 TD

Hi I am also in the UK, I recently changed my springs on my 945, it was luckily mine were not as bad as yours it would appear from this diagram that the nivomat and standard spring mounts are the same. If I remember rightly the spring mounts thread up into the body and should be well protected from rust so even if they appear rusty they should come out fairly easily. I think i put a ratchet/breaker bar in-between 2 of the coils and put up a the appropriate socket on an extension before hand to undo them. Hope this helps
Old 07-07-2022, 11:32 PM

hi
you may have read i have had this 940 TIC auto nearly 23 years so i take care of it but can't do the cam belt myself but i do lots of other maintanice ,if you woud like a chat some time please reply to my email jimliddy1@gmail.com
we will arrange to catch up
regards jim