D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Classifieds > Cars for sale

Old 04-03-2023, 09:30 AM

Vehicle: RHD 1995/6 Volvo 945 manual M90 gearbox
Default 1996 VOLVO 940 ESTATE D24TIC Manual FOR SALE Edinburgh UK £1000 ono

299k miles, MOT'd until late Oct 2023

I bought this car in Sept 2006, when it had only 111k miles on the clock, since then I have been using it as a van for my dog walking business (back seat always down, so no dogs on back seat, or in front). I have spent well over £2000 on it in the last 2 years as I fully intended to keep the car going for many years to come, but unfortunately my business has collapsed, and I can now no longer afford to own or run any vehicle. I have done most of the repairs & servicing myself with some exceptions, and have accumulated a great many spares over the last 16 years including a brand new, still boxed injection pump (Bosch part no. 0460406076) which I bought on a sale direct from Bosch Classic Parts in Germany in Nov. 2008 for 730 euros, which I still have the receipt for, and will be selling separately, the other spares which I have listed below are included in the price.
Pros

I fitted an electric Kenlowe engine pre-heater when I first bought the car, and have used it all year round since (it still works), so it has rarely had a cold start, which apparently is the cause of most engine wear. The engine runs, and is as powerful as when I first bought it.

I have changed the engine oil & filter every 5000 miles with 10w40 semi-synthetic engine oil since I purchased the car.

The engine has never overheated since 2006, it has a universal digital temperature gauge with a sensor bolted on to the cylinder head, and an alarm you can set to a few degrees above the normal running temperature. I also have a coolant expansion chamber with a float, which is electrically connected to an alarm inside the car, so that if the coolant falls below a certain amount, the alarm will go off.

Has fitted stainless steel exhaust.

Everything still works on the car except a couple of things listed in the cons

Within the last year I have done the following work:

New brake callipers and flexi-hoses all round.

Re-furbished steering rack fitted, and steering alignment done.

Front near-side wheel bearing & ABS sensor replaced

5 good tyres fitted, including 2 new bridgestones fitted recently.

Well over £1000 worth of welding done, mainly the sills, (also underneath the battery 2 years ago).

Have treated most of the rust, both underneath and above with fluid film or similar product, including the cavities, between sills etc using an aerosol with a long extension tube.

Have had all the carpets and trim off, and treated any rust in the front and rear footwells with fluid film, or a similar product, and done a fiber-glass repair on a small hole in either of the rear foot wells

No water getting into the car anywhere.

Work done in the last few years:

Cam & pump belts replaced including both idler pulleys, and all 12 valves seated and replaced and cylinder head gasket replaced in autumn 2020 (around 280k miles).

Prop shaft central bearing replaced autumn 2020.

Diesel injectors refurbished at 220k miles

CONS

In autumn 2020, I got the cam and pump belts replaced by a Volvo mechanic (my usual ex Volvo head mechanic was very busy) who said he’d done it before, but he overtightened the lower idler pulley bolt, damaging the thread, my usual mechanic repaired it as best he could, but there is still a slight oil leak from it, but it is not getting on the belt, or getting any worse, as I have been checking it, and have done about 20k since then.

As can be expected with a high milage 26-year-old car, there is a fair amount of corrosion both on the upper paintwork, and underneath.

The lacquer, both on the bonnet and roof is peeling off in many places.

I replaced the front bolt-on wings, but unfortunately, they are of metallic grey/green colour, whereas the original colour of the car is metallic maroon.

The drivers electric window broke, and was beyond repair, so rather than replace it, it was easier to replace the whole door – the replacement door is in good condition, but is bright red.

When I treated the rust on the doors last summer, I didn’t bother with painting them or a professional finish, so they have black patches on them.

The front passenger door has a fair-sized hole in it due to corrosion, it needs a fiber-glass repair – last summer I treated the rust round the hole, and sealed it using a piece of hard plastic and silicone sealant as a temporary repair.

Original temp gauge on dash not working.

Light to illuminate the dash for nighttime driving not working.

Electric seat heaters not working.

Headlight wipers not working.

Driver’s seat not in great condition due to wear & tear, but still comfortable.

Small crack in bottom near-side windscreen, - not an MOT failure, as was there in 2006

SPARES

Brand new Bosch injection pump, to be sold separately, as mentioned above

2 spare steel wheels in good condition

Brand new Volvo drivers electric window mechanism and motor

Brand new Sachs clutch kit (cost about £130)
Brand new radiator (cost about £130)

Spare M90 (from diesel car) gearbox

Spare Refurbished Alternator

Spare Starter Motor (needs re-furbishing)

Original driver’s door & window

2 headlights (same colour as car)

Rear axel half-shaft

Spare front door cards

2 x Spare front indicator/day-running light lenses (new aftermarket)

Spare gearbox taken from a 940 diesel

Plastic rear load area mat (made for 940/740)

Towbar (which I removed when I bought the car.)

Steering rack (needs refurbished)

Special spanner for undoing or tightening the 6 diesel lines from the pump

Wheel bearing socket (34 or 36 mm)

2 spare sets of injectors including one injector that has been re-furbished.

I have loads more photos & a couple of videos I can send you if you contact me
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0545.jpg (445.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0552.jpg (661.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0556.jpg (771.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0561.jpg (438.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0584.jpg (505.4 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by clivealive44; 04-13-2023 at 03:09 AM.
Old 04-03-2023, 05:07 PM
Supporting Member

I wish I had a way to pick up the spare M90.

GLWS!
Old 04-13-2023, 03:12 AM

Vehicle: RHD 1995/6 Volvo 945 manual M90 gearbox

Hi, just to say that I put the car on ebay last Monday, and someone has now put a deposit down, so I should probably delete this thread, but not sure how to do it, if someone can tell me, I will delete it. Thanks
Old 04-13-2023, 11:01 AM
Supporting Member

We can leave it here, no problem. Might be helpful in the future, especially if you can post the selling price.