D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Classifieds > Items Wanted

Old 04-26-2022, 10:08 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD
Default Rear differential pinion seal

Can someone please let me know whether or not the gasoline cars use the same pinion seal that the diesels use? (my 740 is a d24t, turbodiesel)

I`d like to do this for my turbodiesel 1985 740 ...
but ipd, fcp and other well-known volvo sites give very confusing fitment information.

Usually I trust ipd, for example, but they still list sparkplugs for my diesel car... technology 2022...

Thank you for the info!
can I use this one? https://eeuroparts.com/product/timken/5778

Thanks
Old 04-27-2022, 01:39 PM
Supporting Member

Yeah that persistent incorrect fitment info really annoys me too.

I can't think of any reason the pinion seal would be different. The Ds got different final drive ratios but the housing should be the same.

If it were me I would call them and ask what their return policy is if the part doesn't fit. Remind them about the spark plugs listed, lol.
Old 04-27-2022, 06:21 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Thank you for the fast response. I placed my orders and i am hoping it will fit. I am hesitant to call those companies because I don't want to annoy anyone (and make them hate diesels even more ) and I have multiple questionable items with the same dilemma.
And, they have so many parts unavailable nowadays, idk why it became so hard to find certain items.

One of them would be the 4th gear overdrive contact switch which they list but it is not available, not in stock and they don`t even know when/if it will be available again.

I have the m46 tranny `set to an 8-speed one +reverse` due to a manually (on shifter) switchable overdrive for all the gears but I dont like it this way because what if I engage it in reverse gear? It wouldn`t do any good if done on a regular basis, I think.

(I have the on-tranny OD switch single wire connected to a ground near the OD solenoid area on one of the M46 housing bolts. The OD works really fine but I just want the car operated in the stock form and have OD/5th gear *only in/from 4th gear* and not in any other gears esp not in reverse

IDK about m46 cars in any junkyard near me... But it sounds like I`ll have a trip somewhere.

Another item i am really struggling to find is the steering lower shaft. The lower steering joint is available, kind of, but not the aluminum part that connects the joint to the upper end right at the firewall. My car is reaching 450k miles at the moment and this shaft might be the one it came with from the factory and it does show wear that is felt on the steering wheel as well. The lower joint I can get, i think, but am having a harder time with the lower shaft itself.

If anyone has one available from an otherwise bad junk car, pls let me know or I will just keep hunting. I assume there are multiple yrs and models that used it, including perhaps almost all 7,9 series volvos.
Worst case scenario I can cruise up on far north on my mcycle and take a 12-13mm wrench with me and a hammer bc that`s all you need to get one out of a car. But in that case I may find a perfect car with the nicest interior , and no space to get it home on the mcycle , LOL, Murphy. So I`ll def have a trip somewhere soon unless I find one okay car nearby.

Last edited by RedArrow; 04-27-2022 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-28-2022, 10:58 AM
Supporting Member

Volvo does better than many in terms of parts availability for older models but at some point it becomes economically unfeasible in their eyes to provide the full catalog of parts for all prior models. This, combined with jobbers consolidation of parts makes our pursuit (keep these old cars running) more and more difficult.

From what I understand, even momentary OD engagement in reverse can be catastrophic so be careful with that. For a replacement switch (common to all 7xx m46 models), why not make a request on turbobricks marketplace WTB section? I have seen pretty good activity there. Small and easy to ship. Do the same for the steering shaft section?