D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 06-20-2019, 06:16 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

I still suggest you keep your focus broader than just the injection pump for getting your setup dialed in. We'll help you assess the pump and rule out any issues with it and its installation, but I want to make clear that you're not going to see anyone here responding with a silver bullet solution you can bolt on to magically get a perfectly-running engine producing your desired power level simply by ordering the right part numbers, like you might have with a modern computerized engine or an old carbureted gas V8. We'd give you that answer if we could, but it doesn't exist. There are plenty of injection pump setups that, with the right comprehensive upgrades to other areas of the engine, can get you to 150hp or far beyond, but there's no "150hp pump" you can buy off the shelf. The engine can easily make that power but it cannot be extracted with a bolt-on approach.

Collective experience in the group here will help you get the truck running the way it should but we need to approach the engine as a whole system and rule out potential issues in a linear way. The pump is certainly ONE possible area for attention but the fact that you described issues that were intermittent, and most importantly the fact that you have observed NEGATIVE pressure in the intake manifold, still suggests that an air management issue may be at the core of the problems you're trying to solve or at least may be involved. It sounds like you made many, many changes to the engine all at once when you built it up with the (very nice) new turbo/fuel/inlet/exhaust system you have now. Doing everything together saves a lot of time but it means you can't see the independent effect of each change and any issues each change might introduce. Therefore if you need to troubleshoot after such a wide-ranging multi-system upgrade, you need to consider everything you touched, rule nothing out at the start and eliminate each possibility step by step.

Hope this is making sense. I'll make some suggestions and ask some questions about the injection pump and its installation on the engine, but in order for it to be worth folks' time to contribute help here, we'll need a lot of detailed info back from you in response to questions, maybe some pictures, and we'll all need to start on this same page before we begin: finding your issue could require investigating areas of the engine that you currently believe are not to blame.

If that plan seems logical and agreeable to you, let's start with these questions:

1) What method and specialized tools did you use to set the camshaft timing on the engine? Please provide a photo of the tool that you used to set the camshaft timing or cite the tool number.
2) What method and specialized tools did you use to install the injection pump the first time / that you plan to use when installing it now? Am I reading your earlier post correctly that you ONLY used the crude timing mark on the injection pump pulley to set injection pump timing?
3) What is the condition of the cooling system? If you get this engine producing the kind of power you're looking for, have you taken steps to enable the power to be used continuously without engine temperatures going out of control? Have you ever seen the engine temperature rise above normal operating temperature thus far? Do you have any other monitoring or alarm systems installed for keeping track of engine temperature and coolant reservoir level?
Old 06-20-2019, 10:36 PM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 718Pinz View Post
Anyone have any info that would help me get this pump set to a decent HP? A part number for a pump that puts out higher than 150 HP? Anyone...?
Giles has an excellent reputation for performance building Bosch VE IPs.
Old 06-23-2019, 08:49 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

True, but even when Giles or anyone like him does his best effort with the pump, the rest of the engine (inlet/turbo/exhaust/COOLING) also needs to be able to support the desired power output and the pump must to be timed correctly to the engine. Giles would be the first to say this. A Giles pump or other "super pump" built with the fueling and advance curve to theoretically support 150hp or any other target won't come anywhere close if it's installed with the wrong static timing on an engine that is not moving air at the necessary volume, pressure, and temperature to burn the extra fuel completely and efficiently.

It's obvious from the symptoms of the OP's original issue (heavy smoke, high EGT, low boost pressure) that there was never any lack of fuel delivery; to the contrary there was clearly way too much fuel and not enough oxygen. The IP itself almost definitely was not the reason for the trouble in the first place and any effort to add even more fuel will only make things worse. The stock 10mm pump elements are more than enough to reach the particular power goal he laid out.

Nevertheless, even when faced with textbook overfueling signs the OP is still pursuing MORE fuel delivery capacity, so there's a breakdown of cause-and-effect comprehension going on. Thus I'm trying, gently (I hope!), to help him see that he needs to change his focus away from buying more goodies for the engine and instead towards ensuring the parts he already has are installed and calibrated correctly, with the required tools and methods, and sized appropriately to each other. That's what he will need to do if he wants all these parts to actually work. Fine-tuning and troubleshooting is the next step, and there's no part number that can be purchased to circumvent that homework.

Sorry if this comes off as harsh, but if he wants this truck to run correctly and doesn't want to waste a ton of money, a significant change in his thinking is needed and I'm trying to explain that in the most direct way I can. Plus the rest of us here trying to contribute advice will be wasting our own time answering questions about parts upgrades for an engine that, as far as we know, nobody has even attempted to set the cam and pump timing on yet.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:37 PM
Supporting Member

Yes after reading thru the two pages of this thread I agree, need to achieve a solid stage 0 baseline before attempting additional mods.