D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Help! My car died!
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-15-2021, 10:30 PM

Vehicle: Volvo 940 -91 D24T
Default Died while running – sudden loss of fuel?

Hi y'all!

I was just visiting some friends and while driving home and pulling over for a short stop the engine died just as I was coming to a halt. I think it was when a shifted to neutral (manual transmission). After that: won't start, cranks but nothing. I read the stickey and all belts turn and seem fine (the timing belt was done for a couple of years ago and has run maybe 20,000 miles since).

I can't say I'd notice anything out of ordinary and had plenty of fuel (refilled 60–70 miles ago). However I have the car as a summer car and it stands outside in the winter (in Finland, so it's proper winter with subzero temperatures). I left the tank with 3/4 of fuel. This season I have ran it for some 350 miles without problems.

Today, I was thinking about biking out to the countryside where it left me with a multimeter, some fresh fuel, a fuel filter (hasn't been changed during the five years I have owned the car – but I'm pretty sure the sole prior proprietor, my grandfather the cabbie, did proper maintenance), some wrenches. If this doesn't help I think I'll have towed to a nearby shop on Monday.

After studying the posts I was thinking about the following procedure: checking for air bubbles in the hose between filter and injection pump, checking hardline no. 1 if the system is primed, checking shut-off solenoid (clicking sound, voltage), priming and changing fuel filter. Does this seem as feasible course of action?

I was thinking that a clogged fuel filter might have done it, but after reading it seems that there should have been some warning signs and there were none. The only thing out of ordinary I noticed earlier on was abnormal fuel consumption (maybe 50% more) deeming from the fuel gauge readings. But after refueling and doing the math (13,7 US gal/~410 miles (52 litres/660 kms)) consumption doesn't seem out of ordinary. But I do think the fuel gauge behaved abnormally previously but not during this trip's 80 miles.

Thanks in advance and so happy that this forum exists!

Tags
filter, fuel, shut-off, sudden death