D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 07-01-2020, 07:29 PM

Vehicle: 1990 Pinzgauer P90 6X6
Default D24T, are they all the same for parts?

Hello! New member here. Just purchased a 1990 pinzgauer 718, and it has the D24T engine. Of course this truck does not show up in any US catalog or registry, which leads me to my question. Are all the D24T engines the same? Things like water pump, gaskets, belts, etc...
If they are, what vehicles came with that engine here in the US so I can go to Napa and tell them that's what I have? 🤣
Anyway, thanks in advance for the help and advice.

Seth
Old 07-01-2020, 08:17 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

Amazing vehicle

Maybe the forum could have a Pinz thread for these, perhaps other Pinz owners would be attracted to d24t conversations more?
Welcome to the forum!

I'll let the others answer your question because I know some did some work on Pinz d24t cars before.

It should be easy for you to find all d24t parts for your Pinz because engine internals are basically vw and audi and some of those cars are still used worldwide.

Many many parts are identical to earlier vw diesels.

For having best parts hunting results in the usa, i find it easiest to search as 1985 or 1986 Volvo 740 turbodiesel or sometimes 760.

Good luck with everything and check back soon.
We also like to see pictures especially pinz d24t picts. Pop the 'hood' and share the story of your Pinz.

Old 07-01-2020, 08:47 PM

I would love a pinz thread!
I've tried that trick of saying vehicle is a 85 Volvo 760. I guess that's my question, if there were any differences on the motor. I will take some pics tomorrow of the engine and share.

My truck was imported 4 years ago by a guy in Oregon who unfortunately wasn't able to do much with due to an injury.
It's a 6x6 with a workshop box on the back, 6 ft by 10 ft. We're going to make an off road camper out of it. Ideal for trails here in Colorado, since it's about the same size as a 4 door jeep!
Old 07-02-2020, 08:00 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethsquatch View Post
Are all the D24T engines the same? Things like water pump, gaskets, belts, etc...
For most purposes the answer is yes but it depends on the engine and what area of it you are dealing with.

After sometime in the late 1980s the engines switched from mechanical cam followers (adjusted with shims) to hydraulic followers. So different cylinder head casting and valvetrain parts. Cam might be different too. The US D24T engines we got here in Volvo cars all were the earlier type with mechanical followers and your truck, from 1990 model year, probably has hydraulic followers, so that would be one minor difference.

Then, around the mid or late 1990s another change occurred where the timing belt system was completely redesigned, added a separate tensioner roller and used a different water pump without slotted holes for belt tension adjustment, and of course a different timing belt also.

So in short there are 3 major variations of the D24T base engine:

Variant 1: 1983 through ~1987?: original design D24T with mechanical followers. (This is the only variant we got here in the original US market Volvo TD cars.)

Variant 2: ~1987? through ~1995?: revised design with hydraulic followers, but the timing belt system and all other parts of the engine remained the same. (Your Pinzgauer engine most likely falls in this category, unless it was replaced at some point with one of the other two variants, which is a possibility you will want to watch for as these military vehicles in some cases went through multiple engines in their service life).

Variant 3: ~1995 through end of production (~2002): revised design with hydraulic followers and redesigned timing belt system with extra tensioner roller and different water pump and timing belt.

For sourcing parts, if your engine is either of the first two variants, then most all regular upkeep parts (timing components, cooling system parts, etc etc) will be the same as a US market Volvo 740 or 760 turbodiesel. For those, too, finding parts can sometimes be tricky, but everything is available no problem if you look carefully. The difference with the hydraulic followers would only come into play if you were dealing with internal engine repairs or refurbishment and it doesn't sound like that is what you're needing to do.

If it's the third variant, you will still be able to use many parts from US sources but any timing belt related parts, and some cooling system parts, would have to come from overseas. Again that is pretty unlikely unless your truck got a newer type engine installed later on at some point. We can help you determine exactly what you are working with via pictures if you don't make headway identifying it with the info above.

Welcome to the forum, it is always fun for us to see these trucks here. Neat sounding rig, is yours an automatic or standard transmission?

Do you have plans to replace the timing belt? Since you asked about the water pump, note that on this engine it is driven by the timing belt and replacing it usually involves going through the complete timing service procedure. That is probably something that would be beneficial to plan for anyway.
Old 07-02-2020, 08:19 AM

See this is the kind of wisdom I came to this forum for!
I seriously doubt my engine has been replaces, it's showing 45,000 km, so maybe 30k miles.
It is a manual transmission, right hand drive. Very fun to tool around in, but painfully flow. I purchased it last week and drove it 1200 miles home from Oregon to Denver.

I need to figure out how to shrink the size of pictures, as my phone takes pics that are like 2+ megabytes, which are too big to put here.

I did read that the timing belt needs replaced along with the water pump, so that's definitely going to be done next week, assuming I can source a water pump and associated gaskets and belt. Do you guys have a site you prefer to get parts?
Old 07-06-2020, 08:23 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethsquatch View Post
It is a manual transmission, right hand drive. Very fun to tool around in, but painfully flow. I purchased it last week and drove it 1200 miles home from Oregon to Denver.

I did read that the timing belt needs replaced along with the water pump, so that's definitely going to be done next week, assuming I can source a water pump and associated gaskets and belt. Do you guys have a site you prefer to get parts?
That would have been quite a trip, you must have gotten a lot of curious looks. Unusual vehicle and steering wheel on the wrong side to boot.

I have seen a couple of these trucks in person, seems like quite a few of them somehow made their way to Colorado and other parts of the Rockies. Interesting and cleverly engineered vehicles in all respects. One other feature of them to keep in mind that is different from the Volvo car versions of the engine, and that I just remembered relevant to your original question, is that the electrical system is the military style 24v, rather than regular automotive 12v. That means parts like the two solenoids on the injection pump are different for the higher voltage, and of course the alternator and starter, and maybe some sensors are different too. Edit: also the glow plugs and their relay, etc.

You may want to search around for old posts on this forum by a member with username Hecklebone. He was also in Colorado and had a 6x6 P90 TD automatic truck that he did all kinds of work on, including engine modifications, upfitting of extra overlanding equipment to the truck, etc. He sadly passed away three or four years ago, but his posts are still here and you might find some useful info in them.

For parts, best bets are usually the main Euro parts supply houses like AutohausAZ and FCP Euro. They both have a lot of offerings for the D24T engines, but it can be challenging to find your way to them, sometimes by looking up a Volvo 740 TD but sometimes you also have to look under something like an '85 VW Jetta 1.6 TD if you want things like glow plugs, injector heatshields, etc, or under a common gasoline 5cyl Audi car if you are looking for certain engine gaskets.

RockAuto has some parts too, but watch out for them trying to sell you parts for the Volvo 2.3L gas 4-cylinder engine, which is completely unrelated and has no parts in common. Their application listings are more sloppy. Some sites will even offer to sell you an ignition coil or set of spark plugs for your diesel engine, LOL.

Brickwerks in the UK is another good option for parts -- on there you can look it up as a Mk1 VW LT van which also used the D24T and D24.

Last edited by v8volvo; 07-06-2020 at 08:51 PM. Reason: 24v glow plugs
Old 07-06-2020, 08:35 PM

Yes it was quite an attention getter! Can't go anywhere without people stopping me.
I was aware of the 24v system, but thank you for the reminder. That's good info as I wasn't sure what vehicles coorelate.
I have an Instagram @pepethepinz if you're interested!

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
That would have been quite a trip, you must have gotten a lot of curious looks. Unusual vehicle and steering wheel on the wrong side to boot.

I have seen a couple of these trucks in person, seems like quite a few of them somehow made their way to Colorado and other parts of the Rockies. Interesting and cleverly engineered vehicles in all respects. One other feature of them to keep in mind that is different from the Volvo car versions of the engine, and that I just remembered relevant to your original question, is that the electrical system is the military style 24v, rather than regular automotive 12v. That means parts like the two solenoids on the injection pump are different for the higher voltage, and of course the alternator and starter, and maybe some sensors are different too.

You may want to search around for old posts on this forum by a member with username Hecklebone. He was also in Colorado and had a 6x6 P90 TD automatic truck that he did all kinds of work on, including engine modifications, upfitting of extra overlanding equipment to the truck, etc. He sadly passed away three or four years ago, but his posts are still here and you might find some useful info in them.

For parts, best bets are usually the main Euro parts supply houses like AutohausAZ and FCP Euro. They both have a lot of offerings for the D24T engines, but it can be challenging to find your way to them, sometimes by looking up a Volvo 740 TD but sometimes you also have to look under something like an '85 VW Jetta 1.6 TD if you want things like glow plugs, injector heatshields, etc, or under a common gasoline 5cyl Audi car if you are looking for certain engine gaskets.

RockAuto has some parts too, but watch out for them trying to sell you parts for the Volvo 2.3L gas 4-cylinder engine, which is completely unrelated and has no parts in common. Their application listings are more sloppy. Some sites will even offer to sell you an ignition coil or set of spark plugs for your diesel engine, LOL.

Brickwerks in the UK is another good option for parts -- on there you can look it up as a Mk1 VW LT van which also used the D24T and D24.