D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 07-14-2020, 06:30 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

I followed that procedure over again, very very thoroughly at every step, with no success after a two hr 'job' (on jacks).
Is it possible that it now blew an internal older seal that hadnt been replaced? I used 6 parts only from the 12 piece kit. I highly doubt it blew an old seal but maybe.

What I dont doubt is me making a mistake at installation bc i was distracted by a vw golf full exhaust magnaflow installation project.

I wonder if my layout is correct bc that is how i put it all back in the pump. Anyone knows?

I suspect that #2 with the tiny filter (located in its left side in this picture) needs to be oriented the other way. Is that the case? It has a nut in its end and a mini filter.

I usually lay my stuff out at disassembly for picts but I may have confused myself with this one.

:-)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture+_2020-07-14-22-33-25.jpg (20.2 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by RedArrow; 07-14-2020 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:43 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Interesting issue. I have never had one as far apart as you pictured since the pumps seem to almost never have trouble, only occasional leaks. I have never seen them need any of the other seals changed, just the external ones, though of course it is possible for other parts to fail.

Normally they will self bleed with very little effort after refilling fluid and turning the wheel all the way side to side a few times. Do you have another spare pump you could take apart and see how the small parts go together?

Or refer to these pages, fortunately these old style General Motors pumps are extremely common and used in millions and millions of vehicles so there are quite a few DIY pictorials out there for how they come apart and go back together, focused on other makes/models but the same principles will apply. There are lots of youtube videos also. Search for Saginaw power steering pump rebuild.

http://tc.wagoneer.org/2012/08/sagin...p-rebuild.html

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/ccrp...kyard-builder/

https://www.mattsoldcars.com/Restore...n/pspump.shtml

https://www.corvette-restoration.com...-pump-rebuild/
Old 07-15-2020, 10:13 AM

Indeed, very interesting of a problem. I also thought and expected that it will slowly self-bleed over time and/or immediately if I assist.

Today I have a chance to give it another chance but i doubt it will self-heal. I am going on a favor taxi trip for family to and from airport, pickups and dropoffs on the way which will total at about 80miles on nyc local roads omg ughhhh so there will be quite some turning cornering etc... and as some of you know, it can -and prob will- take about 7-7.5 hrs of driving here which also considered being normal in nyc.

If the car still will not get back to at least somewhat better, i will pull it apart again and see, or grab a spare and take that apart for reference.
Thank you for the links, two of them i went thru a couple of days ago, and I based my repair on one of them, but looks like my issue developed for some (for now) unknown reason. Now i have a non-leaky bad system versus the leaky perfect steering I had earlier, before my reseal. )

Last edited by RedArrow; 07-15-2020 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:53 AM
Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
two days driving would take me to Keywest! nice )))) but driving a fish-tank without AC?!!!!! (=a 745)
They don't mean driving for two days straight (72 hrs.).

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedArrow View Post
The magnet I found is still very sticky so I reused it but I was surprised that it wasn`t glued to any surface such as it is for example in the m46 bottom overdrive pan.
The OD pan magnet is glued because the OD pan is aluminum! Non-magnetic surface. The magnets in the ZF auto are just stuck magnetically to the steel pan surface, as they are in the steel PS pump can. Some have been known to stick magnets on the outside, to help, without having to open it up to be able to place them inside.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:40 PM

Default Leakproofing a saginaw power steering system, cheaply and quick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
They don't mean driving for two days straight (72 hrs.).
I`m sure that would be even worse than 2 days )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngoma View Post
The OD pan magnet is glued because the OD pan is aluminum! Non-magnetic surface.
Yes I definitely did not think of this when I posted. Ridiculous!

ALSO,

If you look at the 5 illustrations, you can see something that (I think) is the problem.

Today alone, I drove 149 local miles, but my PS did not self-bleed. Time to time it felt like it caught up but: extremely rarely and for 2seconds only.
I noticed this also: When the engine revs up for the first start (at a coldstart), I can feel that there is some power assist for the steering but it lasts only for 2 seconds, 3 seconds maximum; then biceps needed again.

There is no leaking whatsoever, anywhere.
The low and high pressure hoses both look aged and have some visible chafing but no leaks.
Fluid level is constant and there are no bubbles when turned left or right.
When I turn wheel to full lock, I can hear the pump working. No struggles but I can hear it trying.

Okay. So, now, proceed by looking at my 5 illustrations above... and see the first two pictures to compare.
The damn o-ring sits in a different groove.
I think that`s the problem.

At my assembly, to see and confirm how well (or if at all) the pin was seated, I pulled that pin out and pushed it back in once more, then I assembled everything. O-ring must have slipped into the secondary groove? yes I would guess so. And it was all in front of my eyes but I never spotted. Also, uploaded picts later... but never noticed.
The o-ring is blocking the orifice where fluid supposed to be freely traveling through.

I think I know what to do now. High pressure fitting off, grabbing the 1inch socket, pin out, move the oring or use a new one if damaged.

Thank you for the links and the detailed technical info. Many forumers will now do this fun&easy rebuild. Stakes arent high.

The next pump I will fully disassemble, spend some extra time for the internals (bushing etc) and use all 12 parts in the rebuild kit.

UPDATE and confirmation:
Yes, it was the o-ring that slipped into the wrong groove at installation.
Now it has new fluid once again. Power steering pump runs perfectly. Also it self-bled by itself in no time. No leaks, no weird sounds.

Last edited by RedArrow; 07-17-2020 at 02:11 PM.