D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 10-08-2020, 01:11 PM

Vehicle: Lt31
Default Complete motors for sale??

I saw a post at one point about new motors being available for sale somewhere in Belgium or something… Somebody had a bunch of them in crates.
Does anyone remember this?
Old 10-21-2020, 10:13 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

I don't have any recollection about new crate motors discussed here, though maybe someone else will. Maybe it was on a European forum you saw it?

I remember someone in Belgium or NL had a bunch of new/NOS injection pumps at one point some years ago, perhaps that is what you are remembering.

At this point in time finding new D24/D24T crate engines available is highly unlikely I think in general, unless you somehow were to stumble across a place that had them socked away and forgotten about for some reason. Especially in Europe there are still enough in use in LT vans that there clearly is a demand for the engines and any that were available and easily found have no doubt been bought. It's one of those situations where there's enough of a demand for them to use up any old stock, yet not quite enough demand to create a viable widespread market and industry to continue to rebuild old cores. So typically the solution we find most workable is to have our own engines rebuilt.

The only place that I would expect you might still be able to source a new or remanufactured crate engine D24T would be from a military supplier focused on the military Pinzgauer diesel trucks. Many of those are still in active military use so there is probably significant parts support for them still as well. However, no doubt that would be hard to access without some kind of connection and even if you could, you would expect to pay government/military prices = $$$$$$$$$.

What's the issue with your current engine that has you looking for replacements?

*** Edit: Moving this thread to the Diesel Engine & Drivetrain section where it will be more topical.