D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2020, 05:46 AM

Default remove starter moter

hi all
how big a job is it to remove the starter moter on the D 24s just asking mine is original on my 1995 940 TIC
regards jim
Old 09-06-2020, 06:57 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

It's about average, not especially difficult. Especially if it's one of the two smaller gear reduction starters. The big direct drive Bosch starter that was on the first diesel Volvos only was installed from the factory through around 1984. The Hitachi gear reduction starter was used for a couple years in the mid 80s and a Bosch gear reduction starter was used in the late '80s and '90s. If yours is original you probably have the Bosch gear reduction unit.

All of the starter motors available in these cars, especially the Bosch versions, are very reliable and almost never fail, especially not if they aren't abused. Very common to see an original starter still in place and working just fine after 30 years.

Unless yours is showing a problem I wouldn't touch it. Here we have a saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." You probably have something similar in your vernacular.
Old 09-06-2020, 07:06 AM

Default starter moter

thanks for the positive info
about 5 years ago my starter made a noise like it was engaged with fly wheel running .a auto electrian took it off and cleaned it out said the unit was fine but needed a clean out .
ive had no problems since but if i did need to replace it myself i just asking how its done .