D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 06-20-2021, 10:40 AM

Vehicle: 740 wagon, 164 saloon
Default snapped cold start device linkage

hi
I've checked my pump timing (.86) and went to reconnect the cold start device linkage however the mechanism seems tight. I only loosened the screw closest to the front of the engine to turn the sleeve 90 degrees however i couldn't get enough clearance to reseat the sleeve again. as you can see on the picture i have cable tied the linkage in its forward position for illustration purposes where it would actuate the throttle linkage however it does not even make contact with the throttle linkage. could the mechanism be seized? i don't really want to run it without the linkage connected id like to fix the problem. the sleeve has snapped but i can weld that back on i just need to know if the cold start lever should move more to allow me to rotate the sleeve 90 degrees. ( i hope no one has adjusted the last nut closest the bulkhead)... your thoughts would be greatly appreciated tia.
https://ibb.co/55qM3Mc
https://ibb.co/NLpWgs9
Old 06-20-2021, 08:50 PM
Supporting Member

For some reason my computer complains of a security violation when attempting to view your photos, so I have not been able to see them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
... i just need to know if the cold start lever should move more to allow me to rotate the sleeve 90 degrees.
Yes it should, BUT sometimes the lever can be difficult to move when the engine (more correctly, the injection pump) is not turning.

If a helper can crank the engine you may find it easier to pull the lever enough to rotate and set the sleeve back into position.

PS: The engine will run fine with the cold start cable disconnected, no damage to anything. Depending on overall engine condition, it probably will be a little harder to start in cold weather, probably run a little rougher during the initial minute or two. Mine has been inop for several years, due to a failed waxstat.

Don't lose the cable end barrel and sleeve! Not easy to find replacements.