D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-04-2012, 11:34 AM

Update:

I weighed my dressed 6304 and it weighs 450 lbs. complete with starter, alternator, etc.

I've read that the D24T weighs about 475 lbs. but the difference may be a wash as the AW30-40 in the 960 gasser is considerably heavier than the M46 the D24T is paired with.
Old 04-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

I have a copy of VADIS that I need to get working again. I will see if I can find any difference in part numbers for the various springs in the different 700/900 models. The early 760's (1983 and 84) used a different upper strut mount that looks more like something out of a 240, but I don't know whether the rest of the strut assembly (and spring) are different or not.

I'll see if I can look into the fuel filler differences too.

Hoping I will have a chance to experiment with my VNT sometime this summer and report some results. In the meantime if you are looking for a stock D24T turbo just to get yours going, I have an extra that I would sell fairly cheap as long as I knew it was going onto another D24T engine... or even "loan" with deposit equivalent to value. Or alternatively I know there are many options in the T3 family that can be made to work... several on here have played with various arrangements, you may want to ask Jason, Anders or Kevin (Slobodan) for ideas, I know they all have tried non-stock turbo setups on their cars with varying results. All of mine are stock so far, though I did crank up the boost on my 760 TD using an MBC for a while and the results were nice. The European D24TIC cars, to my knowledge, used the same basic turbo as the D24T, just with a different wastegate spring to set stock boost level higher (IIRC approx 12.5psi vs 9.9 for D24T) and the compressor housing clocked differently. Since your 960 will probably have room for a nice intercooler (maybe even a stock one off a 940T), that alone plus increased boost from a stock size turbo may be a nice start. In Europe it was possible to buy a 960 with a D24TIC through 1996, so evidently Volvo thought the TD with intercooler had enough beans to move the heavier 960 body around.

I'm hoping for good results from the VNT setup, since it promises the possibility of strong response at low RPM along with the ability to move lots of air at high engine speeds. The Liberty CRD engine that the turbo came off of is a 2.8L direct-injected intercooled 4-cylinder that makes 160 hp and almost 300 lb-ft of torque. My assumption is that since it moves the right amount of air at the right times for a slightly larger 2.8L engine but one that makes its power at lower RPMs (since it is DI), the flow properties will be about right for a D24T engine that with less displacement but a wider rev band. Remains to be seen what reality will be like. The difficulty will be controlling the vanes effectively, since that is done by the ECM in the donor car using a relatively complex control algorithm. Plan A is to use a Shelby Daytona CSX turbo actuator since it is a dual-acting design with ports on either side of the diaphragm so that both boost and throttle-modulated vacuum signals could be used, but no doubt it will take quite a bit of trial and error to get it set up correctly.

Here is the center console insert panel that fits the 760/960 style console with a manual trans. The opening for the shifter appears to have some attachment points for a shift boot that possibly clips into the panel. Probably there is a correct European part for that purpose too. I don't have it or know the appropriate number but I imagine it would not be too hard to fashion one, or you could just use an M46 boot like in a 740. I got the idea, and the part number, a couple years ago from the guy who put this car together: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=188058 -- and bought the part around that time as well. I forget what I had to do to obtain it... I think I ordered it from Tasca, then they called me up and told me since it was a Euro-only part they could not get it, and I said oh well, and then somehow it showed up anyway. Don't know whether that would work again or not. Maybe they somehow had one in a stockroom in the States that they were able to drudge up. In any case you can see the number on the package in the pictures: 1371049.

George
Old 04-04-2012, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
I have a copy of VADIS that I need to get working again. I will see if I can find any difference in part numbers for the various springs in the different 700/900 models.....
I've had a couple of buddies checking on the springs and so far there seems to be a lot of confusing...updated part numbers, etc., but nothing concrete. I've satisfied that the spring diameter isn't different on the diesels, but as mentioned earlier, the number of turns and heights may be different.

Quote:
Hoping I will have a chance to experiment with my VNT sometime this summer and report some results....
That will be interesting to see how that works out for you.

Quote:
Since your 960 will probably have room for a nice intercooler (maybe even a stock one off a 940T), that alone plus increased boost from a stock size turbo may be a nice start....
Yep. I picked up an intercooler setup from a '93 940 Turbo over the weekend and it will bolt right up to the front of my 960.

Quote:
Here is the center console insert panel that fits the 760/960 style console with a manual trans. The opening for the shifter appears to have some attachment points for a shift boot that possibly clips into the panel. Probably there is a correct European part for that purpose too. I don't have it or know the appropriate number but I imagine it would not be too hard to fashion one, or you could just use an M46 boot like in a 740. I got the idea, and the part number, a couple years ago from the guy who put this car together: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=188058 -- and bought the part around that time as well.
I've seen that thread and in fact know the guy who had the 765, well at least I've swapped PM's with him. Chris is a really knowledgeable guy. He told me that the shifter boot in the photo below was one that came from an '89 740, so the boot should be easy to source and in fact I have the one from the '83 donor car.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]347[/ATTACH]
Old 04-04-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I have a copy of VADIS that I need to get working again. I will see if I can find any difference in part numbers for the various springs in the different 700/900 models.....
I've had a couple of buddies checking on the springs and so far there seems to be a lot of confusing...updated part numbers, etc., but nothing concrete. I've satisfied that the spring diameter isn't different on the diesels, but as mentioned earlier, the number of turns and heights may be different.

Quote:
Hoping I will have a chance to experiment with my VNT sometime this summer and report some results....
That will be interesting to see how that works out for you.

Quote:
Since your 960 will probably have room for a nice intercooler (maybe even a stock one off a 940T), that alone plus increased boost from a stock size turbo may be a nice start....
Yep. I picked up an intercooler setup from a '93 940 Turbo over the weekend and it will bolt right up to the front of my 960.

Quote:
Here is the center console insert panel that fits the 760/960 style console with a manual trans. The opening for the shifter appears to have some attachment points for a shift boot that possibly clips into the panel. Probably there is a correct European part for that purpose too. I don't have it or know the appropriate number but I imagine it would not be too hard to fashion one, or you could just use an M46 boot like in a 740. I got the idea, and the part number, a couple years ago from the guy who put this car together: http://forums.turbobricks.com/showthread.php?t=188058 -- and bought the part around that time as well.
I've seen that thread and in fact know the guy who had the 765, well at least I've swapped PM's with him. Chris is a really knowledgeable guy. He told me that the shifter boot in the photo below was one that came from an '89 740, so the boot should be easy to source and in fact I have the one from the '83 donor car.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:04 AM

About 3 years ago, I converted a very nice 92 745 turbo wagon to install a D24T. As the engime compartment layout is very similar with the air cleaner, battery box in the right places etc it was an easy swap. I even used the turbo gasser radiator and left the intercooler in though I have never hooked it up.
I did not change the springs as I compared them to the 85 740 sedan the diesel came out of and found them to be exactly the same. I still have the diesel sedan springs if someone wants them.
The car uses the ZF transmission (now rebuilt) and drive shaft from the 85 sedan. I chose the 745 wagon rather than 945 as the car is lighter overall. I did of course swap the front cross member also. The 85 diesel sedan ZF console and gearchange fit perfectly into the 92 car.
Much of the changes you are doing I did then and it was really quite easy.
Keep the gas engine temp gauge sender as you will need it to match the 92 cluster. It uses two wires. The one wire sender will not work!!
I did not use the electric cooling fan but instead installed the original D24T fan and clutch. I should have installed the electric fan in front of the rad for the a/c but I haven't done that yet. On the highway the a/c works just fine, even in SC !
Incidentally I am thinking of selling this wagon as I am in the process of buying a 2012 VW tdi Sportwagen with 6 sp manual and I will have to thin the herd.

cheers, Steve
Old 04-08-2012, 08:27 AM

One thing I've noticed about my engine is that it doesn't have a boost enrichment aneriod. It's from an '83 760.
Did the early D24t's not have the aneroid or is it possible that my pump has been switched? I've not seen any info/photos indicating that there shouldn't be on on my engine, so I'm sort of at a loss as to why I don't have one.

Anyone know?

Old 04-09-2012, 05:50 AM
Supporting Member

I believe someone put a pump on from a D24. I think you can add the LDA to your pump, I have never done it myself. I noticed your pump also has the altitude compensator on it. As George told me that pump would be 1984 or newer. Is the block itself a D24T?
Shipments done on fridays!

1982 242 D24+T/M46- Super pumped! Build thread:
http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1545
1984 764 D24T/ZF build thread: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t=1734
Diesel parts cars: 82 244,83 244, 84 244, 84 245, 85 745
Old 04-09-2012, 07:49 AM
Supporting Member

I can see a D24T valve cover and a dipstick in the correct location under all the hoses and wires, so I'm quite sure it is a correct D24T block (and presumably head as well).

On an early engine like that, there will be a stamping at the front of the head near the power steering pump bracket. Does yours say "D24T"? Assuming (and hoping) it does.

Nice catch Anders, yes, now that you point it out I can also see the altitude compensation solenoid there.... that is also something that a 1983 D24T should not have had so additional evidence that either the pump (most likely) or possibly the motor was changed. Having the solenoid is fine, but you will need to make sure that it is powered when the engine is running after installing it in your conversion.

George
Old 04-09-2012, 02:45 PM

Default Update

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I'm pretty certain that the engine was swapped or they thought they had an '83 at the junkyard when it's an '84. From the photo below, you can see the date stamp on the head showing '84.

Also, I took a photo of the pump part number.

There is a hose going over to the intake manifold where the boost aneroid should be hooked up, but obviously, it's not.

George, I didn't see any stamping that says D24T. Could it be behind the bracket?

Old 04-09-2012, 04:38 PM
Supporting Member

I'm not completely sure that that stamping really does indicate that the head was cast in 1984, but if so, then that would also explain the absence of the "D24T" stamping on the head. The stamping is quite obvious on a small horizontal surface at the front of the head, on the driver's side, above the power steering bracket, just behind the inner timing belt cover. The stamping, however, was only present on MY83 and MY84 cars, and was absent from MY85 onward. Since MY85 engines were built in 1984, it stands to reason that if your head's stamping does indicate that it was cast in 1984, it was probably installed into a MY85 car and as such did not have the stamping. My guess is that your 1983 car had a 1985+ engine installed, and additionally for some reason got a NA injection pump too. It's always interesting to try to figure out what happened to these cars over the course of their maintenance history... so many gorillas butchered them and put incorrect parts on incorrectly over the years, that it is often a guessing game to figure out why an engine is equipped with the components it is.

The stamping is just visible in this photograph of my 1984 760 TD's engine. The photograph is one that I just happened to have on hand, sorry it is not focused on the area where the stamping is, but if you look close you can see it in the location I described in the paragraph above.