D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 05-06-2010, 06:20 PM
Owner/admin

I would bet they are, the flywheels are the same for a turbo or non turbo, and the block is the same bolt patern and whatnot, which is what the starter is bolting though. I would just try and throw it in. If its been sitting for a while, I would dump some diesel in the injection pump, and squirt some oil into the manifold.

Jason

Back again with a '84 760 GLE D24T/ZF

SOLD but not forgotten! 1984
760 Sedan, built D24Tic/ T-5 swapped

My engine build: http://www.d24t.com/showthread.php?t...t=engine+build
T-5 swap: http://d24t.com/showthread.php?399-W...to-quot-w-pics!
Old 05-07-2010, 05:46 AM

I have changed between big and small starters many times and i never had problems. But the big starter on the na 240 is best because it rotates the engine very fast and that is important in cold.
Old 05-07-2010, 01:55 PM

That's good to hear! Hopefully I'll be able to take a look at it by Monday.
Old 05-08-2010, 02:11 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Starters are the interchangeable. There are three D24/D24T starters, a small Hitachi and two Bosches, a large SR38 and a small gear reduction SR97. All will work on any D24 or D24T of any year, manual and automatic both. Upper bolt is a little tricky to access especially if doing it on the ground but a worthwhile experiment to try to replace the starter and see what the car does.

I would put the starter in, get a strong fresh battery, pull the black ground wire off the glow plug relay and the wire off the injection pump solenoid so it doesn't start before you're ready for it to. Take the timing belt cover off and check that the belt doesn't look like it is about to imminently strip or break. If all looks OK there, then I would proceed to next change the oil. Then I would pull the valve cover, dump oil on the cam, and squirt some lubricant into the intake manifold (pull the boost relief valve off the front of the mani and squirt in copious amounts of WD40). If it hasn't run in 4 years the motor may still be good and not even need a rebuild, but you will quickly turn it into an engine that *does* need a rebuild if you are not careful in how you go about getting it running. I would do the above steps, then reinstall valve cover, connect the battery, and then finally turn the key and let it crank for a while. Do a few bursts of 30sec cranking. You want to get oil pumped up into the engine before starting it. Last, reconnect the glow plug relay and the pump solenoid, and go through the normal diesel starting procedure. I bet it will fire right up and run fine.

Seller may not be interested in letting you do all this before you buy the car. However, $500 is a pittance for a complete D24T car on the West Coast. You are getting a good deal even if it turns out not to be a runner so I would buy it before someone else does, then worry about trying to get it running.

What is it in? 740/760? Year? Automatic or stick? Wagon?
Old 05-08-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by v8volvo View Post
What is it in? 740/760? Year? Automatic or stick? Wagon?
All I know is that it's an '84 700-series. I have a feeling it's an automatic sedan though. Thanks for your advice. That does sound like a fair bit of work, but I'm willing to do it if she'll allow me and as long as the car's not half sunken in mud or something.

I guess it's just dumb luck that as soon as I find one donor car, another one pops up in the yards! This one appeared to also be an '84, but with 244K miles and an M46 attached. The timing belt was intact and the turbo had no play in it. There was a fair amount of oil around the valve cover and intake manifold. I didn't have a 27mm socket on me to try turning the crank. There was writing on the windshield that read "pump leaks." They quoted me $260 for the engine.

While it would be somewhat easier to get it out at the yards, I'm just a little iffy about the mileage. It is nice to know that I have options though.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:53 PM

So it seems like the one I was originally looking at may have been sold already. I was supposed to check it out today so I called to get her address. She didn't answer and never called me back. Three hours go by and I decide to check to make sure the craigslist ad is still up. Sure enough, it's been taken down . I may have missed out on this one. What do you guys think of the junker that I found in the yards? Is it worth it?
Old 05-11-2010, 05:46 PM
Owner/admin

On the one in the yard, will they carry a battery out there so you can hear it run? Leaking pump isn't all that big a deal. Is it a turbo or NA?

Jason

Old 05-11-2010, 06:40 PM

The one in the junkyard is a turbo. I will ask if I can hear it run. If anything, I can bring my own battery but would I also have to bring some diesel? I don't know if there's any fuel in it.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:14 PM
Owner/admin

I would try to start it for sure. Being a TD, theres a better chance the engine is in decent shape. With the block being more wear resistant, and the engine being less likely to soot up the rings like the NA engine, it may be alright. If you can get the pump sealed and do some maintenance on it, it may be fine. I just checked the bores on the engine I'm planning on building for my car. Its got 177k miles on it... I doubt it ever saw a drop of synthetic oil, and actually still had the original timing belt! So maintenace probably wasn't the best. Even so, the bores are only slightly worn, and still within spec. These engines really do hold up pretty well if they are even half way taken care of.

Jason

Old 05-11-2010, 08:40 PM

So the lady just e-mailed me back. Apparently it wasn't sold, she's just really flaky. I guess I'll still check it out, but that junkyard motor's looking better by the minute.