D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 02-08-2014, 08:57 AM

Default 940 tdi auto 1995

Sorry boots
i meant the lever which adjusts advanced timing when engine cold i thought that should be able to move at at some point do i have that right . i have taken photos and put them on my pc . but how do i get them to the web site i think i can email them to you . would that be ok .
?
Old 02-08-2014, 09:58 AM

The lever you refer to and the cable/rod from the capsule all move as one due to the springs keeping the cable taut. All of the assembly appears 'stuck' to finger pressure, whether hot or cold!

FWIW, if you want to post the pics on here, use the 'Manage Attachments' button in the 'Additional Options' section below the submit reply button.

This allows you to upload photos from your pc to the thread.

You are welcome to email me direct and I will post them if you can't get it to work... Email is dls@b00ts.com (those are zeroes in the middle)

rgds,

Boots.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:03 PM

Default 940

thanks boots
i will email some photos
Old 02-08-2014, 04:49 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

We have an automatic mechanical KSB (cold start advance)

Engine running the advance lever is easier to move by hand.
If the throttle lever rests against the stop screw cold, the cold start is bypassed or misadjusted.
If the throttle lever does not rest on the stop screw warm, cold start is broken.
the only way the cold start cable should be interacted with is to bull the cable block enough to give it 1/4 turn in its receiver allowing it to drop back and have no effect...do this before setting IP timing, or if the device is stuck. anyone who's tampered with the set screw on the block did it wrong.
cold, the advancearm should be off its stop, settling back to the stop tab as it warms...if it isn't there warm, the timing is probably set wrong.
many times I see the idle settings changed to compensate for a nonfunctional cold start the wrong way.
The auto trans emergency stop lever has a link to defeat cold idle-up in event of a cold start runaway, that's the downward cable.

I stole Nevadans pic, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelovitch View Post

you can have others useful things on my account !

the cold strat device PAGE 41 here : http://www.scribd.com/doc/19099617/Bosch-Ve-Pumps

Last edited by 745 TurboGreasel; 02-08-2014 at 04:56 PM.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:58 AM

thanks 745 turbogreasle you are like other chaps on this forum very knowledgeable on the vw 6 cylinder engine .
im in a bit of a difficult postion as being a carpenter have very limited skills in this area of my car . although i have done all the basic service work i.e.. oil/filter/air filter/ fuel filter/ brakes/fluid change/ coolant change/ new radiator/ and lots of other little jobs . but this cold start device is hard going as I've not seen work done on it . i will see what i can do it may have to be another trip to the diesel engineeres. but am not sure they can fix it .
im in stoke on trent middle england where are you based
regards
jim liddy
Old 02-09-2014, 03:05 PM

Vehicle: 85 745, 84Suburban 96Ram

I'm in California, south of San Fransisco. It never gets much below freezing here.

In brief, cold you should have a gap at the end of the 'cold advance' arrow. As the car runs for awhile, that gap should close till the arm rests against the tab at the end of the green dash.
If it does or does not do this, you will follow a different diagnostic path.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:56 AM

hi ian
how do you get the brass housing out of the wax stat my old one has a slot across the top edge looks like its designed to get a piece of steel across it and undo it .but i tried this and i just twisted the steel i made for the job it must be really tight i can see there is a thread on the top edge . that photo of yours has no thread on the brass outer side . so i do not know what holds it in postion