D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Technical Discussion Area > Diesel Engine and Drivetrain

Old 03-05-2021, 10:10 PM

Default 900 series D24 stood 12 years

hi all
theres a 1992 D24 on ebay 90000 miles seller says its stood 12 years and runs ROUGH what is there to look out for besides the obvious .BRAKES /coolant change ECT, i suppose the timing may be out he's changed oils and filters ,new alternator the car looks clean on phots engine bay too its near me so will go and have a look at it ! just asking for some pointers from your experience
regards jim
Old 03-06-2021, 09:18 AM
Supporting Member

Pointers about what? How to judge the condition? How to get it started after 12 years? How to prepare it for driving it on the highway? How to make it a reliable daily driver?
Old 03-06-2021, 11:09 AM

Vehicle: 940 d24tic

That amount of time standing you need to be very careful checking for corrosion. Ours looked beautiful but i have found places to weld still. And my other classics have not fared well stored outside.

Check thin plated sections that are on the boot floor edges and where the arches meet them. The ones you lift up to see each side. All can look well and be ready to go as its thin plate from factory.

Engine wise anything rubber that time standing is questionable, timing belt especially.

And what is the oil like? treacle like build up on oil picks up is renound for taking long stood engines out. They will run but not deliver enough oil on high revs due to blockage. I would have the sump off asap and clean it all out to make sure. If you flush it you can unblock alot of gunge at once on a dirty engine and run it dry just about as it starves. If you have any doubts dont drive it and get it cleaned out yourself.

My 2p with limited knowledge on these old girls

Sorry mobile so awful spelling

Mick

Last edited by ukvolvo; 03-06-2021 at 01:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 11:23 AM

Default 940 D24 stood 12 years

sorry NGOMA
i got my question wrong ,well i did see the said car today the main thing going on was i started the car first turn of the key , but it smokes really heavy a light blue colour i woud say we let it run for a few minutes at least but it did not stop smoking .i removed the coolant cap as it was low on coolant it looks like there was just water in the bottom of the resivor a i thought i could see some small air bubbles while the engine was running the oil has not been changed yet but plenty showing on dip stik . the engine did sound not quite right ,there was no mayonnaise around oil filler cap i removed the cap . there was signs the rocker cover gasket needs replacing as some oil around it but non at the head gasket area . the interior of the car was perfect .underbody needs a rust prevention but no major rust there the engine bay was very clean done by previous owner before he died . it will need the major service cam belt ECT if the light blue smoke issue could be fixed it looks like being a real good car with such low miles . hopefully it can be fixed !
Old 03-06-2021, 12:01 PM
Supporting Member

So it looks like you are asking about why it smokes blue at startup?

I would want to know why it sat for 12 years, what were the reasons, was it misbehaving then that necessitated putting it away?

Was it "serviced" and never ran well after that?

Might just need an Italian Tuneup to clear things out, after local attention to the TB, coolant, oil, battery, etc.
Old 03-07-2021, 08:03 AM

hi the history of the car is the owner a local stone mason had the car from new but sadly died of old age the car sat on his sons drive under a car port since 2003 when the current owner was offered it as the son was not interested in it . it was nearly going for scrap but this new owner is a volvo man and has a collection of 240 petrol cars but thought it was worth something so it went on ebay where the bidding is up to £1300 .
i looks at the cam belt and from my bit of experience it needs a major service A.S.A.P. the oil and filter needs to be changed ASAP run and changed again i think .this car will make a good project for a person who is keen on these D24s
im sure !
Old 03-07-2021, 10:21 PM

Vehicle: 1986 Volvo 745 TD

What makes this more rare than the leftover d24t cars here is the factory intercooler setup, being a 900 series, and obviously that it`s a right hand side vehicle. And a wagon...
Pretty darn cool. I would say, go for it.. nice pandemic project. All I managed to find was some surface rust near the tailgate and at the right front door but looks like this car still has it all, interior is simple but at least not in ruin (as it is often not the case) and is kind of neat under the hood as well.

In my opinion it stood so much because nobody really knew around there how to get it well set. It already probably ran not-so-well prior the owner`s death but then it got even more `neglected` and ended up getting ``saved`` by getting parked which we know isnt too good of a treat for a car to have. Save #2 would be to get the timing belt done by an enthusiast with proper tools and knowledge, real-time experience on this specific engine.
Those people are not so easy to find but I bet it is easier there than here, due to the fact that in Uk and Europe the LT vehicles are still up and running okay. Also, the here nonexistent 900TD models kept this engine manufactured&sold in EU all the way into 1996/97 which is ten years extra compared to what happened here (d24/d24t only sold in USA till 1986).
And in EU the vw family had huge variety with many many engine options for every model including the diesels and turbodiesels SO the mechanics who still know their retro stuff must be not-so-rare!

Also, good to see a `965` RH vehicle with manual tranny. I hope it won`t end again in the wrong hands, or worse, scrapped.... (just bc it smokes `too much`)

Is it hard to keep these on the road there? $$$$$? Road tax for this kind of vehicle is probably higher, I assume.
But for the driving experience and the relatively low maintenance this engine will need (once fixed well), it is probably well worth it. And, it is a very practical vehicle being a wagon it hauls ass around town, or in the farms or even through mountains.

We all know they sound great too and fun to own. I`ll keep an eye on the ebay listing and hope the new owner finds this forum to use good advice on how to keep it running healthy. The current bids are from ten different bidders so the price will climb substantially higher than 1300gbp. One needs to plan on a full susp refurb from ground up, prob all brake cyls, bushings and all rubber parts that wore by car standing motionless, and the typical leaky inj pump is probably there too. Timing belt, waterpump, IP belt and valve adjustment just to name a few, then tires etc as always... None of them are super hard jobs but many DO require d24 tools that are also not-so-easy to find. Still, the new owner will have a very special vehicle.

Last edited by RedArrow; 03-07-2021 at 10:37 PM.