D24T.com  

Go Back   D24T.com > Forum Info > New Member Introductions

Old 06-12-2020, 05:04 PM

Vehicle: 2.4 n/a diesel
Default vw 6 cylinder d24 nA wanting to put into my 49 willys pickup

im from the northwest never owned this type of diesel before help?? lol anything is appreciated looking to swap engine into my pickup is all im doin here and to learn this engine ...wondering if i can swap my 86 volvo d24 engine the guy said it had 84000 miles? its out of a d245 or745 wagon diesel engine he drove it home pulled the engine to put into a jeepster sold the jeepster to put it in lol now i have engine pretty clean for a diesel really and old lol and its blue? its on a crate and i had it fired a couple times with either that as far as i got.. what im wondering can i mate this engine to my 1949 willys pickup t90 transmission?

Last edited by jeepguy310; 06-12-2020 at 05:31 PM.
Old 06-12-2020, 08:55 PM
Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum.

Sounds like a cool project.

After reading your post a couple of times, Best I could figure out is you are asking if your engine will bolt up to a 1949 willys pickup t90 transmission?

Probably not, would most likely need some sort of adapter.

PS: Careful mixing ether with glowplugs.
Old 06-13-2020, 04:22 AM

realize i need a adaptor lol which kind? keep the vw bell and build a plate on back of 2.4 diesel engine and use t90 flywheel t90 starter fywheel crank adaptor with t90 bell?.. or adaptor between bell and trans??
Old 06-13-2020, 04:50 AM

as far as volvo d24 fitting in my willys jeep pickup... engine compartment measurement wise seems fair enough and i have a willys 6 cylinder grille for pickup.. the volvo radiator looks like a match in width for my willlys grille so.. and 31 1/2 inches from back of d24 engine past nut on pump belt pulley to front of fan and might be a perfect fit lol..willys cjs and kaiser jeepsters dont have the room but a willys pickup or wagon does for d24 applications it seems anyway...

engine.... i only shot it like 3 times d24 was sitting for 5 years in a barn we had fuel going through filter to distribution pump came out return line so but we didnt craack the lines at all or nothing it was a quick impromptu start before i handed him any money lol but i cracked the lines yesterday and no fuel so hopefully today if i get to it maybe see crank it over with battery and see if my pump is working i guess? if i can get fuel to fuel injectors and if glow plugs work sorta should fire right? it was puffing black smoke when was just cranking before either and after so?

Last edited by jeepguy310; 06-13-2020 at 04:59 AM.
Old 06-13-2020, 07:04 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

This might help for what you are thinking about although it is not cheap and they don't provide much more than basic information:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/q...2/applications

No doubt there would still be a lot of work left to do to get everything to play nicely, including figuring out an internal concentric hydraulic clutch release system since this bellhousing looks like it doesn't have a place for a regular release fork. Custom clutch disc too. But it might at least do the main work of getting the engine and trans bolted together, as it is meant to mate an Audi 5-cylinder (same bellhousing pattern as the D24) up to a variety of old school style 4sp transmissions that might be similar to yours.

It's probably meant for drag racers using turbo Audi 5cyl gas engines which sometimes make 1000hp or more so ought to stand up to an 80hp diesel.

Otherwise the adapter options might be limited unless you can make your own. There aren't many companies selling parts to bolt these engines up to other applications. But one other option out there for getting a D24 bolted up in a 4x4 application would be to get a complete ZF 4HP22 transmission with transfer case out of an old Range Rover and then bolt on a bellhousing and torque converter from a Volvo 740 TD ZF auto, which is the same basic transmission. You can put the Volvo TD valve body in too to get diesel shift points. Then you have the engine, trans, and t-case figured out and just need to modify drivelines to bolt up. But it also means changing to an automatic transmission and you might prefer to keep your standard. For what it's worth the ZF is quite a nice automatic, smooth shifting and efficient with an overdrive gear and lockup torque converter. Anyway just one more idea in case it is useful. There are a couple members on here who have done it.

If the engine is painted blue that might mean it is a rebuild done by a guy named Chris Bogue who apparently did a big business in D24 rebuilds in the Portland area in the '90s or '00s. He would paint the blocks a kind of turquoise blue. I had a car once that had one of his engines and it was a great runner, had a metal headgasket even, he was known for doing a good job and being an expert on these. So if your motor was reworked by him, as many of them around the PNW were, that would be good news!
Old 06-13-2020, 08:02 AM

i have a clutch hydraulic reservoir kit its new theres a jeep forum to do this on existing willys clutch pedal for clutch pedal its a 71 dollar kit lol anyhoo now what? yah block metal head gasket its visiblly dark weird blue color and the soft plugs are still shiny lol hopfully
Old 06-13-2020, 08:04 AM

fyi six states in town here rebuilds and makes custom clutches willys is 8 1/2 inch 10 spine and volvo is spline count? also volvo is a 9 inch clutch for d24 correct?
Old 06-13-2020, 08:08 AM

Default d24 na 49 willys pickup swap

will post everything im doing on here via pictures of volvo swap into my willys pickup too.. if thats ok anyway my truck is painted and fully restored minus l134 is gonner lol so veedub volvo d24 all the way man...woohaha
Old 06-13-2020, 08:22 AM

they also say a d24 and a t18 transmission bolts right up whatever that means? dont get that one lol
Old 06-13-2020, 08:45 AM
Supporting Member

Vehicle: '86 745, '83 764

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy310 View Post
they also say a d24 and a t18 transmission bolts right up whatever that means? dont get that one lol
Where did you see that? That would be news to us here if it were true. Unless it's something oddball like a transmission from an old AMC product that had the 2.0L Audi 4cyl in it? Those do have the same bell pattern and used those engines so if they had a T18 you might be able to bolt it up. Probably hard to find though, and that would be a 2WD car trans so you would then need to find a 4x4 T18.

There are adapters out there for bolting a Volvo bellhousing up to a T5 transmission so that might be another option. Maybe T5 front of gearbox is similar to a T18 or other old 4spd.